Rectocele and cystocele

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello, I am new to this site. I have recently been diagnosed with a rectocele and a cystocele. I am 55 years old. I have an appointment to talk about surgery on January 12, 2018. I have been so worried about all this. I especially worry about the rectocele. I guess because I don’t know anyone that has had a rectocele. I know several women that have had hysterectomys with their bladders tied up but none on the rectocele. Is there anyone out there that can give me some information about how the rectocele will be put back in place?? I am also wondering if after having surgery on these two areas, does anyone have any idea if it will last?? I appreciate any input I can get. Thank you and God bless

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I was diagnosed recently with the same, and had a pessary fitted. It helped the bladder but not the bowel prolapse, although it is not as bad as it was a few weeks ago. 

Will be interested in hearing what your outcome will be,

• Posted

My mother tried the Pessary for her bladder years ago, but it wouldn’t stay up. She ended up having a hysterectomy and her bladder tied up. That was in the 1980’s. She’s still getting along fairly well with it. She’s 73 now.  My worry has been the rectocele.  Ugh! Thank you for your input. Hugs!!!
  • Posted

Hi Jaquetta,  I suppose most people don't know much about prolapse until it happens to themselves or someone they know. It's still very much a not talked about subject, although it shouldn't be.

A rectocele as you probably know is a weakness in the back vaginal wall,or fascia,the wall that separates the vagina from the rectum.

if it causes difficulty in passing bowel movements, it may need surgery.

It's not possible to put it back, because it is made up of stretched tissue. If you imagine a balloon that has been blown up and stretched, it will not go back to it's original strength and shape.

During a repair surgery, the surgeon will take out redundant loose tissue in the stretched fascia, under the mucosal layer, and trim it back, in the UK he will do it via the vagina. It will be stitched back together.

The mucous membrane will then be tidied up and pulled tight and trimmed back, and stitched back together.

Usually the stitching will come down the back of the vagina to the perineum,and often will make things tighter.

With good aftercare, and lots of rest,no lifting at all for a few months, the repair should last. But you do have to be careful for a long time, read some of the posts on here,and you will get some idea about the recovery time.

I hope I have given you enough information to at least be able to ask any questions at your consultation.

It's always an idea to write any questions down, because under stress we all tend to forget things.

Wishing you all the best. xx.

• Posted

Thank you so much for the information. I think I will have surgery in the near future. I’m not looking forward to it. But, I will remember all that you told me about resting. My biggest fear has been the rectocele. I guess because I don’t know anyone that has had this surgery done. I know plenty of gals that have had a hysterectomy with bladder tie up, so it doesn’t seem as scary. Thank you so much. Hugs!!!
    • Posted

One more thing, Laura, I agree that this is not talked about often enough. I don’t believe anyone has ever said anything to me about rectoceles. It’s upsetting. I’ve been definitely talking to practically every woman I come in contact with since I was diagnosed with this. We women need to take care of each other. 
    • Posted

Thank you for the well written piece of information. It’s helped me understand what I maybe facing in the future.
  • Posted

Hi, I was 51 when I had same surgery as you will have. I had never heard of it before either. My recetecle was a stage 4 and cystecele was a 3. 

I didn’t have pain like some people on this site has complained of.  I really took it easy for 3 months. It’s been  almost  18 months.  I think my bladder might had slipped down some. But no leakage.

It is always on my mind, it happening again. But I do feel much stronger and healthier now. If I’m on my feet all day, I come home and put them up, and I usually feel better after some rest.

I take Linzess to keep my bowels going easy. So far no problem with that.

Good luck with yours. The better you take care of yourself, the better your results.

Grace

• Posted

Thank you for the information.  I’m glad you are getting along well. I will keep in mind everything you’ve said. I dread the surgery, but if it works, I think will feel so much better. Hugs! 
  • Posted

I have a cystocele, a rectocele, and a uterine prolapse. I will be seeing a urogynecologist in a couple weeks to talk about surgery. What are your symptoms? do you ever feel like you are swollen and engorged inside your vagina that feels kind of like a burning pressure? 
    • Posted

Yes, I definitely have the burning inside my vagina.  When I get up in the morning I feel as if nothing is going on. Then not too long after getting around, I start to feel a bulge in my vagina.  As the day goes on it feels worse. My anus feels like something is pulling inside it. It seems like if my bladder is bulging, then my bottom isn’t pulling, but if my bottom is pulling, then my bladder isn’t bulging as much. Ugh!!! 
    • Posted

Hi. I also have a mild to moderate rectocele. I have been offered surgery for rectocele but it has been left for me to decide if I want it. I have read that rectocele is the most uncommon prolapse. The anal tugging sensation is something that I have been experiencing. I also get tugging inside my rectum near the cocsix area. It has been hard to get detailed info on rectocele and most info on internet were re difficulties with BMs. I eat quite lightly and high fibre so maybe that's why I don't have this issue. I have heavy bulging at the front and it stops me from walking long distances. I'm just under 40 and also get lower pelvic pain occassionally. I'm seeing how it goes with physio for another few months but I think I will opt for surgery as I have been doing phsyio for 6 months which has helped but not enough . I would hope that the op would alleviate my discomfort. Keep us updated. X

• Posted

Finally! I feel relieved I found someone that deals with the burning sensation. You mostly hear about the pressure and felling of insides falling out and menstral type pain but no one has ever said they feel a swollen burning type of feeling. I sometimes have to sit on an ice pack. I feel much better lying down as well. When I’m on my feet it gets worse through out the day. Also worse at that time of month. Does drinking sodas bother you? I have noticed I have to limit my coffee to one cup in the morning and no more than one soda a day. I have to drink lots of water. Lots of water makes me feel a little better. I do have to pee a lot probably 10 to 12 time a day.
    • Posted

Yes, I experience the burning in my vagina as well. Sometimes it lasts quite a while and then I may not have it for a while.  I’ve told my mother over and over that I burn down there. I don’t drink coffee or soda.  I only drink water and herbal teas. You may try to stop the soda and start drinking herbal teas as well as your water.  I am 55 and I don’t have periods any longer.   I will keep trying to figure out why the burning down there. If I find out, I will let you know.  You do the same. 😊 hugs!

• Posted

I have that tugging in my rectum area. I hope it’s not tearing. Ugh!  Keep me updated. 😘

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.