Rectocele and cystocele

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello, I am new to this site. I have recently been diagnosed with a rectocele and a cystocele. I am 55 years old. I have an appointment to talk about surgery on January 12, 2018. I have been so worried about all this. I especially worry about the rectocele. I guess because I don’t know anyone that has had a rectocele. I know several women that have had hysterectomys with their bladders tied up but none on the rectocele. Is there anyone out there that can give me some information about how the rectocele will be put back in place?? I am also wondering if after having surgery on these two areas, does anyone have any idea if it will last?? I appreciate any input I can get. Thank you and God bless

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Jaquetta,

I understand your worry.  I underwent a rectocele and perineal wall repair, along with a bladder "sling" for urinary stress incontinence.  

The surgery is easy - they put you your sleep - you wake up - and they give you pain meds.

my advice is:

1)  do it, it is worth it (I had to splint every bowel movement, and feared that my vaginal wall would rupture)

2)  get your bowels in order before surgery.  If you don't, you will be sorry.

3)  It is painful 

4)  you will get through it!  

It it is the best thing I have ever done.  Somehow my surgeon built up the back of my vaginal wall...

No more pads, no more splinting.  I do have to take stool softeners, but then I have always been prone to constipation.

hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions,

Sherry

• Posted

Hi Jaquetta. 4 years ago I had a total hysterectomy and rectocele repair. The surgeon told me I had 40 internal stitches. My vagina was packed for 24 hours after which he removed the padding. It is a painful outcome initially but with painkillers patience and perseverance it was successful. It is important to keep the bowel moving before the op and after drink lots of water and high fibre food. Wishing you the best of luck. You'll get through this believe me. 😗

• Posted

I hope you don’t mind me asking questions??? I have so much that I am wondering about.  This may sound silly, but after surgery should I sleep on my back or sides?  I don’t know which way is better for recovery??? Thank you so much! 😊

• Posted

Jaquetta The Rectocele was done vaginally so internal stitches only. As I had a total hysterectomy at the same time (cervix taken) I had vaginal cuff. Surgeon said it would be tight down there afterwards so my sex life took a while to pick up again. No problems to speak of.😃 My bladder shifted so I have a leak which I can cope with. Nuala

• Posted

I slept propped up with pillows. Sitting was a bit painful but didn't last. It's 4 years now and I'm so over it long time so don't worry. You'll be fine. Just take pain meds as prescribed. Xx

• Posted

Hi lovely I’ve had a posterior repair done 9 weeks ago best thing I’ve had done no more pain , and healing going well , you have to rest or you will damage the work that has been done , no more heavy lifting for me , back to work next week , get it done quality of life is what it is about take care x
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply!  I can’t wait until I’m done with the surgery!!! I’m glad you are doing so well!!! 😊

• Posted

I had an anterior and posterior repair, vaginal hysterectomy and sacrospinous fixation on May 4th. The rectocele repair was the quickest to heal of all four procedures. 

Hope all goes well for you. 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.