Rectocele recovery

Posted , 54 users are following.

Hi, I had a rectocele repair  only 16 days ago and wondered if people could share how I should feel by now. I have four kids and am on my feet a lot probably more than I should be. I am taking movicol and that works as well as pretending to blow bubbles to get my bowl moving - all works. I am worried my vagina is going to be really tight after this. Does this happen. I also have what feels like a row of scar tissue between my front and back passage. I guess where skin was somehow folded in...? I am feeling miserable but not in horrendous pain. I picked my one and a half year old up a couple of times by mistake recently and didn't feel too bad. I am mostly worried about whether my stitches have burst - no idea but no blood. Also how do you know if you have an infection. I have yellowish discharge but no real bleeding. Any ideas of what I should expect ...especially sex after this - is it going to hurt/be too tight?

2 likes, 135 replies

135 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had rectocele repair, laparascopic subtotal hysterectomy and cervical mesh surgery 17 days ago. I have found these forums so useful. The biggest shock for me was the level of pain I have experienced from the repair. This was not mentioned at all during any of my pre op appointments which concentrated on the hysterectomy, avoiding constipation and the need to avoid lifting and housework. They did not tell me to avoid bending. I too have some concerns about the swelling and scarring. I must admit that I have not thought too much about the aesthetics! I have had a peek using a mirror and to be honest the swelling makes it difficult to make a judgement on how it will eventually look. Wishing everyone a speedy recovery. 
    • Posted

I had this surgery 11 days ago and am in shock at the level of pain I have experienced with it. I too, was focused solely in the hysterectomy and ramifications of that so much so that I thought the prolapse repair was somewhat routine. I have been brave enough to feel "down there" and am scared by how different it feels and how tight the perineum seems. The hysterectomy was nothing in comparison with this surgery. I'm a bit anxious about what it will be like to have sex with my husband again as I can barely even wipe. I will see my Dr on Tuesday. Any encouragement would be so appreciated. Thanks.

• Edited

I am recovering from an anterior and posterior prolapse repair operation which I had on 17th December. Not a pleasant operation to say the least! No one prepared me for the discomfort i would suffer and how vulnerable you feel after the op.I think the most annoying thing about this condition is the fact that in a high percentage of cases we could prevent this condition from happening. Apparently 30% of women will need this operation.

On researching this topic, which I knew nothing about, I soon discovered that by constantly doing pelvic floor exercises throughout my life I could have helped to prevent this upsetting condition.The NHS could save millions of pounds and women would be happier and healthier as a result.

Why are we not constantly reminded about the importance of pelvic floor exercises throughout our life? When we go for smear tests nurses could remind us.There could be posters up at doctors surgeries and any other prominent public areas which would make women more aware of these vital exercises. Physiotherapists could hold women's pelvic floor exercise classes where this topic is discussed, thus putting it in the forefront of women's consciousness.

Women have a design fault in their anatomy. The bladder, bowel and womb are all held up by strong pelvic floor muscles. If you have had babies then your pelvic floor muscles will have become weaker and therefore need strengthening As soon as these muscles fail then BIG TROUBLE!  When i had my children 30 years ago i was told to do pelvic floor exercises to get back into shape but was not given the knowledge of what could happen if i didn't keep doing them on a daily basis throughout life!

SO START THOSE DAILY PELVIC FLOOR EXERCISES NOW

BECAUSE PREVENTION IS SO IMPORTANT

• Posted

I know this thread is a year old it I wonder how those who just had surgeryvarevnow?

I had surgery for anterior prolapse 12 days ago. Prior to op my cervix was v low and at times

In the month protruded from the vagina. In am 39 with a nearly 5 yr

old who had a fast entrance on 2nd stage of labour.

I have done little on my core since birth, given the old incorrect advice

to do pelvic floor by stopping wee mid flow. Only when saw gynaecological

Physio few years ago did I realise, by then my floor was too week, had been

exacerbated by lifting when unfit. Pessaries didn't work for me

I didn't want a hysterectomy as Physio says that can compound prolapse

issues. However the consultant tried to persuade me and after op said

I should have had one as cervix so low. I am worried I have been through

this and a going to find it's the same. The other day it was low and I

felt stitches that seemed to be in cervix. Am hoping when swelling goes

it will improve.

I think recovery can depend on age. My doctor is happy for me to return

to work two and half weeks after op. I have a desk job and it's a 20

minute drive. Tbh I would be doing less up and down stair etc there

than at home. No exercise apart from walking ATM and seeing consultant

Wednesday as had smelly discharge. I don't have a temperature and

he says likely to be sutures dissolving

Hope you ladies are all recovered

• Posted

I had the surgery 2 weeks ago. My discharge is a yellow green for about a week. Not sure how long it takes stitches to dissolve. I also started having cramping pain today. Don't k ow if that is normal either. I wish they would give you a list of what to expect during recovery so that we can ease our minds that all is normal. Really wish they would have told me about the crazy amount of pressure there is. Sometimes feel like it is going to drop right out.

• Posted

Hi there I had rectocole two weeks ago no stitches on the outside though ... my problem is is prickly itching feeling on outside of vagina I can't understand as if there is no stitches on the outside I keep wondering what is causing it .... hope you are getting better now ...

• Posted

Hi Jiggy,

Agree with all you have said very much and we also should be warned that going through the menopause also weakens our ligaments, and pelvic floor weakens therefor at older age we women should be extra careful not to overdo things at gym, in the garden and at work if in heavy duties.

You are so right that we should be more aware of what can go wrong if we do not keep up with pelvic floor exercises.

They need to be far more explicit.

Phyl x

• Posted

I agree 100% Helen, about them not giving us a clue about what to expect after surgery. I had rectal Prolapse surgery two weeks ago today and I have been in a panic over the jaggy pain in the vagina and the God awful amount of that yellow discharge. I made a call in to the dr a couple days ago and of course, never got to talk to the dr but by way of messenger was told it's all normal. That is ridiculous. It is not until today and reading all these postings that I feel completely comfortable and will be able to relax about it. For what reason would they not give us a listing of all the things we could possibly expect - it would cause so much less stress.

Thanks to all of your for taking the time to post. You can't believe how much better I feel - even tho I still HATE that awful yellow discharge LOL.

PghPat.  (Pittsburgh Pat)

• Posted

I forgot to mention in the previous post about how worried I was about the horrible pressure and so sure there was something terribly wrong. And like I said the response from the dr's messenger said it's all normal. Well, it's NOT normal to warn us of this ahead of time. I think we all need to let our dr know how many of us feel about not being informed of what to expect when we go back for our checkup.

PghPat

• Posted

Did you find out what that horrible pressure is? I had the yellow discharge which I’m glad to hear is common but yesterday I had a hush of blood and light bleeding today. I wish there was more information available.
    • Posted

all of this . i have had 3 children and not one time was pelvic floor health/ recovery mentioned . It is a shame we are not educated on this

• Posted

Hi there, I had same procedure with a perionoscopy as well and it's now coming to 12 weeks ago. I had discharge pink, orange and yellow, I did not bath only showered until my 6 wk check, I rested a lot all was great, surgeon said I was two fingers width now in Virginia had sex for first time 2 weeks ago and all fine, hubby happy. Discharge has only ceased in last week and half so don't panic unless sore. I must say my recovery has gone great and I was dreading it after reading a lot of stories but only you know your body so listen to it. I am one happy lady now and have decided no more heavy lifting no matter what and do my keagles twice a day now should do at least 3 x but forget so do them when in bed at night and before I get up twice better than none. Oh I am back on exercise now but no core ones. Stitches are smooth now so do need at least 2/3 months for ALL things to settle. Stay well Lynn x

• Posted

Iam two weeks pro op for vaginal rectocole

Seems to be only stitches inside ... I'm still swollen but the thing driving me mad is the prickly iratating itching all on out side of vagina ... I wonder if anyone else has got this or if have experienced anything like it ?

• Posted

Hi Deny,

Could the itchy/iritating feeling be from being shaved?  Or because it's healing?  Just had posterior repair (with bladder sling for stress incontinence) 8 days ago. I was straining the next day during a BM, and it was hurting (and so sore too) so of course I'm paranoid that I did some damage. I do have the "donut" to sit on, and that does help especially on a firm chair.

• Posted

Hi zu zu ... it's

Not from shaving the itching as eased a bit ... but now 22 days on still ache after standing long periods and I can feel a long stitch hanging out so they obviously have not dissolved yet .. hope you are doing ok ? X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.