Rectocele recovery

Posted , 54 users are following.

Hi, I had a rectocele repairĀ  only 16 days ago and wondered if people could share how I should feel by now. I have four kids and am on my feet a lot probably more than I should be. I am taking movicol and that works as well as pretending to blow bubbles to get my bowl moving - all works. I am worried my vagina is going to be really tight after this. Does this happen. I also have what feels like a row of scar tissue between my front and back passage. I guess where skin was somehow folded in...? I am feeling miserable but not in horrendous pain. I picked my one and a half year old up a couple of times by mistake recently and didn't feel too bad. I am mostly worried about whether my stitches have burst - no idea but no blood. Also how do you know if you have an infection. I have yellowish discharge but no real bleeding. Any ideas of what I should expect ...especially sex after this - is it going to hurt/be too tight?

2 likes, 135 replies

135 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I know this post was 3 years ago .. how you feeling now.  I have taken comfort in all of these posts.  My surgery was 'manchester procedure' and I have every question your asking.  Such a relief to know I'm not the only one.  I'm in my 4th week, going mad with boredom and being tempted to walk too much and housework . ... but I'll heed everyones advise and back off.  Glad you mentioned the stitches below, I call it a 'bothersome bobble' and I'm hopeful it will smooth over and go away ... there is still discharge which I can now read is normal with a strange odor which I'm so relieved to hear goes ..... roll on another 6 weeks and I might be normal again smile

• Posted

Hi ladies. I'm 16 days post op today after  having rectocele surgery. I'd lived with it for several years having never heard of this kind of prolapse. I had a partial hysterectomy 18 years ago. (I'm 54 now). These forum posts have been so helpful! I mean, who talks about this openly?? Researching and talking to the Dr (who says he does a couple rectocele surgeries a week), I've been shocked to learn of so many women having this problem. Doctors are a wonderful, but there's nothing like hearing from those who have actually experienced going through and healing from this procedure, so thank you all for your input. Great advice and info. I know this will be lengthy, but I wanted to add something that I haven't read before. Yesterday I had my 2 week post op appt. No problems to report other than being sore the past couple of days since I got out for church and lunch with my hubby last weekend and then had some computer work on the desktop to do the next day. Thought I probably sat there too long since I was really sore. Then yesterday the checkup was a 3 hour round trip ride. Stopped to eat lunch on way home and only thought I felt like a Walmart stop for a few things in groceries (we live 25 miles out of town). Hubby didn't advise, but I had cabin fever and hated heading straight home. A very slow stroll, hubby pushed basket, and no lifting done, but I felt miserable by the time I made it to back of store. Slower stroll to checkout. Felt miserable with pressure and pain (not horrible) and kept thinking I can't  wait to get home and to bed. Bathroom stop first since we have another 45 minute, winding mountain drive. I was bleeding bright red, enough to look like I was on my period. Lord, I haven't seen that in 18 years. It scared me since I didn't bleed after surgery, and naturally this would happen AFTER my Dr visit, so I called the nurse to see if I needed to head back to them, ER, or home to bed. I felt I probably pulled a stitch/walked too much and decided to head home for bed unless nurse called back saying otherwise. She called back saying what I thought about over doing it. The bleeding did stop by the time I was home, but I wanted to share that she said if I soaked 2 pads within an hour or passed clots, go to ER. Hopefully no one reading this will ever have problems bleeding after surgery, but it was good info to know. It eased my mind. Thankfully it did stop. Back to bed and recliner. Today was a miserable, feeling very bloated and uncomfortable kind of day. I'm feeling better tonight and looking forward to some good sleep. Tomorrow's a new day, right?!  I'm hardheaded, but sure haven't tried to be on this healing. I just felt good yesterday and had to be out for appt. Just goes to show how deceptive our feelings can be sometimes. It's hard to know if I'm over doing something. I know many of you have the same problem. So my advice would be...not only take it slow and easy, but take it even slower  and easier than you think you should. I am really encouraged to hear things get much better! You gals feel better soon! : )

• Posted

So glad to hear that everything has settled down and no damage done, actually surprised that they expected you to make such a long journey back for check-up so early in recovery.

This is the big problem lolly, by the time we overdo things it's too late. We usually feel great only because we have been resting and therefore feel much better than we actually are.

It is really unfair to tell us that recovery is between 6-8 weeks then tell us its up to ourselves to decide if we are ready to return to work as we really have no idea just how not recovered we actually are.

Took me about 4 months to recover properly from posterior repair, returned to work around 12 weeks post op and still felt it was far to soon. Didn't really take into account that my work is really more high impack than low impack.

It's one thing feeling good when your resting and going at your own pace and quite another being at work and unable to rest when necessary.

Take care it really is a long recovery.

Phyl x

• Posted

Hi

That's what worries me is my job. I had my op on the 24th so very early days and although I feel ok, well my stomach feels six months pregnant which I hate and the dull ache down the left side  I look normal and I think forget that this was a pretty major op.

I try to sit around but its so hard as makes me feel very lazy but I know I have too. Kids and partner are ok but I do not even think they realise how long the recovery is, it doesn't help that there is no outward scar etc.

How are you doing

• Posted

Hi Nicolas,

Please take care, the recovery takes many months.

The reason we prolapse is a combination of a weak pelvic floor and high impact activity.

Once we have had a repair we have to be very careful for life. The repair pins up the prolapsed wall but can't fix the weak pelvic floor.

Physio pelvic floor exercises may strengthen the weak floor to some extent but if you continue with high impact activity you can reprolapse so will always have to be very careful to avoid any high impact down pressure on your pelvic floor.

If your job is high impact get an assessment done by occupational health (preferably a Government one), and ask your employer for a staged return (reduced hours and part time) to give your body time to build back up. Also request low impact work if possible to avoid putting your repair at risk of failing.

Phyl x

• Posted

Hi Phyl and ladies. I appreciate your reply and all of you who give input here. I'm right at 4 weeks post op and am still having problems calculating what is "too much" in the terms of standing and walking each day. Did you set a limit of time during your recovery as to how long you would stand or walk each day? What about riding in car? I got out yesterday for the first time since my 2 week appt fiasco and went for a slow and easy car ride with my hubby. It was beautiful out and I've been going stir crazy in this house. I know everyone is different. It just seems I mainly stay in recliner most the day. Mornings I have more energy and find myself wanting to cook breakfast sometimes...then find later at night pain hits me hard all at once. If it was a gradual escalation, I feel I could make better judgments of when to get off my feet. I'm honestly not on them long at all. I apologize for whining. It just sure gets discouraging, especially here during the holidays. I'm just wondering if I should be getting around better by now? I don't want to do too much, but then I want to be able to build up strength. How did you spend the first weeks during your recovery? More recliner than bed or vice versa? I just really, really want to heal up right the first time and I can't think of anyone better to get advice from than you ladies who have already gone through this and healed. I just so appreciate you sticking around this forum long after the fact to give ladies just going through this process hope!

I read a post here earlier where someone said because there is no outside stitches, people, including spouses, can't comprehend the amount of healing that needs to be done. So true. For those of you with physical jobs, please do take care of yourselves. Don't go back too soon. I use to carry mail for the USPS. All those years of heavy lifting caused this predicament. It also caused me to have to have foot surgery. I walked 12+ miles a day. "6 weeks"...the time the Dr said it would take to heal. Nope. 6 months is what it took! When you have to walk on your surgery, it tends to take awhile to heal. And ladies...now we are sitting on our surgeries. I know it'll take months to completely heal. Just don't let management push you. They will. They'll work you to your grave if you let them,  and even then they may not approve your leave time to attend your own funeral. 😏 I know some of you are very concerned about your jobs. If you live in the US, know that you can request FMLA and your job be secure while you recover. You'll use up your vacation and sick leave time and will not have pay after that more than likely, but your job position will still be there to go back to. Check it out, but FMLA used to cover 6 months.

One more thing I thought of this morning. It's cold and flu season, so I'm avoiding exposure to it as much as I can. This includes family who has gone in public and has been exposed to someone sick. I hated to cancel a movie night with our daughter a couple days ago, but she had been exposed to the flu while visiting someone. I shudder at the thought of getting sick with a bad cough! Would be too much pressure below ; ). 

Take it easy. Wishing  all of you a very Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy New Year! 

• Posted

Hi lolly,

Complete rest for first 2 weeks, maybe short walk around house for few mmin every hour to stay mobile.

After 2 weeks making sandwiches, light lunch, mug of tea lift nothing more than a half kettle, 500ml water. Work up to 2 or 3 litres by 3 months post op. Can start 2x 5min walks per day working up to 2x 20 min walks by 6 weeks post op.

Usually no driving until about 6 weeks post op or whenever insurance will cover you; a good test is being able to stamp your feet without pain.

3-4 weeks some light dusting but no bending of over stretching you don't want to put down pressure on your healing tissues.

Can consider swimming once discharge stops but start slowly and build it up.

No ironing or hovering until much later 7 or 8 weeks post op if all has went well.

No lifting anything heavy you will learn over time what is too heavy and no gardening or lifting heavy shopping or toddlers.

In early weeks as you build up activity slowly and gradually, only a little more each day while listening to your body you will get to know what you can cope with.

Their is a useful resources section pinned at the top of the genitourinary forum page if you scroll down to south tees it is very informative.

Good luck and take care,

Phyl x

• Posted

Hi phyl. Thanks so much for your reply. I don't do as well navigating websites on my iPhone as I do the desk top, but I did find the resources you mentioned. So very helpful! Thanks again 

• Posted

Anybody had The Levator Hiatus mesh sling as well as the

rectocele repair .

I had it 2 weeks ago

• Posted

Hi

No I didn't have the mesh sling but had the repair on the 24th Nov so not that long ago, and I was convinced that it had not gone right as I could still feel something inside, but after reading so of these posts I am now guessing its just swelling. I get a pain in the left side which Ill be honest does hurt but I think that is when I stand maybe for too long, its so hard not to do anything. I just assumed all inside would feel normal again.

I am signed off work for eight weeks and to be honest worried about going back to my job as it involved heavy lifting. They did say I might have to have another 4 weeks after but will find out when I go back from check up.

I am wondering how long the swelling takes to go down as mine feels like a rough sausage lol

How are you doing

• Posted

Nicola i am feeling the stitches tighten and the pain there. 15 days now post opt My main problem is the stitches achoring the mesh sling which has caused i think internal buising on my buttom. I cant sit at all unless i lie on the side.

I am older 65 so I have just retired. I don't think we should be doing any heavy lifting that why we have this damage.

If you are going back to work lifting what sort of work do you do and what weights are you lifting.

I was put on antibiotics 8 days post opt for infected cuts in the grion so have not had any discharge

• Posted

Some of the other ladies have just what you taken 3 or 4 months to recover

My surgery mesh sling is a traial test and has been taken off the list last week

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I work for Tesco filling the shelves of a night and the work is pretty physical, that's what worries me. I am getting a pain in the lower left side and I guess the lump I maybe feel still inside is the stitches and maybe bruising.

I did think about ringing the ward I was on but to be honest don't think the nurses will really know. I am due for follow up after xmas, maybe I am expecting it all to feel normal too soon.

I have found yesterday that when I moved about I got the pain more so have taken to resting today

xx

• Posted

Nicola,

You should really be thinking about having 12 weeks off as your job is physical.

I had my op on 3 November & I am not going back to my part time non physical job until after Xmas. Ask your consultant about it when you have your post op appointment. Don't rush back to work & don't poke about inside you could introduce an infection. It takes many weeks to settle down, good luck.

• Posted

Nicola can you afford take more time off. This is a big op.I was on the table for 5.5 h and 5 recovery lost 500mls blood. We cant do it again.

Make sure you are completely recovery mate aussie

• Posted

Long term recovery so important, it's you're health for the rest of your life. So not worth taking a chance, you can't afford to be left with unfixable permanent damage and unable to work. First repairs have the best chance of success and repeat repairs less likely to be successful. Please don't take chances it can seriously reduce your income in the long term.

Phyl x

• Posted

The physio at the hospital did say when I go back he might sign me off for another four weeks, its a long time with no money and high rent but I understand what you are saying,

I will admit I have felt inside a few times as I really thought something was wrong Ive never been ill or had an op apart from an ectopic pregnancy where they removed the tube but that was 23 years ago, so not doing nothing etc is very alien to me.

But after reading all these comments I am really really trying to take it easy as when I walk I do get that pain.

Thank you for replying

xx

• Posted

Hi

No you are right , I think people think and me probably as there is not outward scar etc that's its not a major as I am beginning to realise. I never dreamed I would be like this, sad thing is I only went to doctors re my leg as I was having problems with a trapped nerve and while I was there said "oh something inside doesn't feel right" little did I realise.

Thank you for your reply

xx

• Posted

Hi

Not really but as I am learning my health is more important we will just have to cut back even more on this as I only get SSP which is not a lot but better than nothing.

I hope you are doing ok now 'xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.