Rectocele recovery

Posted , 54 users are following.

Hi, I had a rectocele repair  only 16 days ago and wondered if people could share how I should feel by now. I have four kids and am on my feet a lot probably more than I should be. I am taking movicol and that works as well as pretending to blow bubbles to get my bowl moving - all works. I am worried my vagina is going to be really tight after this. Does this happen. I also have what feels like a row of scar tissue between my front and back passage. I guess where skin was somehow folded in...? I am feeling miserable but not in horrendous pain. I picked my one and a half year old up a couple of times by mistake recently and didn't feel too bad. I am mostly worried about whether my stitches have burst - no idea but no blood. Also how do you know if you have an infection. I have yellowish discharge but no real bleeding. Any ideas of what I should expect ...especially sex after this - is it going to hurt/be too tight?

2 likes, 135 replies

135 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I’m 6 days post op for posterior vaginal repair and sphincter tightening. Ouch! Thank you so much for your post. After reading this thread I don’t feel like I’m the odd one out. I have internal stitches and can feel pressure/sore hard thing on my  perendium. Discharge is red/light brown and aches more on the left. I’m trying to not do anything but it’s so hard. I had a c-section almost 5 years ago and the pain is so much worse.  How long does it take to be able to sit down without pain? I have a desk job going back after 4wks and wondering if this is way to soon?
    • Posted

Hi

Yes my pain is more to he left and when I googled what it looked like, (like you do lol) I realised it was all that side.

My discharge didn't last for that long to be honest, but then I had a mad 5 days but not sure if Id done to much or just had a period, as lately they haven't been visiting.

Yes its really hard not doing anything as I feel ok, until I overdo it, then I just sit and rest and trust me for somebody that doesn't sit around its a killer.

To be honest sitting I didn't really have much pain I was very surprised as I had read stories thinking it would be bad, id personally just keep taking the pain killers and any laxatives they have given you as I was told not to strain, well without going into details, the hospital sent me home with none and the first time I went jesus it was worse than child birth lol, hence I am keeping the laxatives going for a while.

I don't know, personally maybe its best to wait until your six week check but I guess it depends on how you are feeling and if in any pain as nothing worse working if you are.

I have a physical job (Tesco, doing nights) so I am going to have to be really careful I am looking around but nothing pays as much.

Good luck and I hope the pain dies down, keep me posted

xxx

• Posted

Hey everyone. I had my op Nov 23rd so I’m at the 4 week stage. I’m so glad I found this discussion as I have no idea about how I should feel by now. When it says 6/8 weeks recovery I was expecting to be more active than I am by now! 

I had a posterior rectocele repair as I’ve been menopausal since I was 40 and now aged 52 my vaginal wall has thinned. That with a history of constipation that hasn’t helped. I have a slight cystocele too but they left that alone as I already have a TVT tape fitted for stress incontinence.

Anyway. Rested for 2 weeks. Then gradually got back to things. The only thing I’m not doing is vacuuming. Physio told me ironing was ok if I sat at the ironing board!  I tried to drive Thursday and boy did I know about it later.  I’m struggling daily with the heavy dragging feeling that increases as the day goes on feeling like my insides are falling out. I’ve checked and they aren’t lol. Once I’ve cooked the evening meal I can’t bear to clear away I have to go put my feet up. Also got an awful prickly feeling in my passage. I’m assuming are the stitches. It’s driving me crazy!! The stitch at the perinium site was hanging so I pulled that out but can’t manage to see up inside me. 

I really thought I’d feel better sooner. Nothing much normally stops me. But this op makes me feel exhausted! Thank god my husband helps. 

• Posted

Hi

I had mine the day after you and yep thought things would be different by now. I cannot sit around and find it hard but its the pain in the left side that is annoying me still.

Probably not the thing to say but Ive felt inside a few times and it feels like a ribbed sausage lol. I feel shattered alot of the time and Im normally very active.

I go back next week for physio and check up but cant see me going back to work yet. Even today doing nothing I have a constant dull ache.

Roll on next year.

How are you feeling

xx

• Posted

Hi nic. 

I wasn’t feeling too bad the past couple of days until I showered this morning and began drying myself without thinking. It felt like I’d ripped myself apart. Lol. Also forgot my movicol last night so haven’t been to loo. Plus due my period so I,  like you are throbbing too down below. 

I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels shattered still! It’s weird. I thought I’d be bouncing about like you. 

The prickly feeling has gone. So maybe my stitches are going. ? Not felt inside yet. I’ve got nail extensions so thought too risky lol!   Hope Christmas wasn’t too bad for you. My husband has helped no end thank god xx

• Posted

Hi Debbie

It sounds like me writing what you just did lol

I had nails had to take them off for the op and have been good and decided to let me own experience some fresh air, total waste of time they haven't grown and look horrible lol

My period decided to arrive last night so that is not helping, the dull ache is there all the time,

I'm normally such a lively person its knocked me for six, its not me they all keep saying we want Nikki back lol

I forgot to take mine also and without being vulgar I feel I need to go but know its going to hurt so scared to try.

I think its so easy to forget, I had my grandchildren here Christmas and she is only four months I had her on my lap and what do you do, lift them up, I knew about it then as well lol

I do not think we was given enough information regarding the after care or pains.

I'm worried about going back to work but I guess another three odd weeks unless they sign me off again we will be further forward well I hope.

When you do feel, if you do its not what I was imaging, if feels like you are sharing your insides like I said with a ribbed sausage and feels like no room for anything else lol.

Sorry if what I am writing is wrong but its nice to be able to say how you feel to somebody who is experiencing the same, as my friends etc cant really understand. But I do apologise.

Christmas was ok I am just glad its over for this year and I know next year Ill be running(hopefully lol) like my normal headless chicken self lol

Don't forget your special medicine I'm just going to take mine now.

Take care

xx

• Posted

Sorry nic. I didn’t get a notification of your reply! Oh bless we sound like rectocele twins lol.  Like you say it’s so nice to talk to someone who knows what you’re going through. 

Well it’s now 3rd jan.  my back passage is still sore and uncomfortable. Anyone would think I had the op up my rectum not vaginal passage! Maybe they got confused ! I’ve become constipated but even before it feels like when I pooh I’m passing razor blades. It also feels like my bum hole doesn’t nip up afterwards like it should. It’s swollen afterwards and I’m not sure if it’s piles or my rectum swollen. Whatever it is. It’s getting me down. It kinda feels like my rectum is full and I want to go all the time. I’m assuming it’s because I’m swollen inside. Have you had a follow up appointment yet? I haven’t. 

I’m doing everything now. Apart from vacuuming and lifting shopping. I was the same with my grandchildren over Xmas. It’s so hard not to lift them ! X

• Posted

Hi

No worries. Happy New Year to you.

I am not having the razor blade feeling I think mine is to lose for that but I do know when I have to go its a mad run to the bathroom, good job we have more than one toilet lol

I did think I had piles at one point as the first time after op I went I thought that was my lot I was in so much pain, was sweating etc it was horrible.

I had my follow up physio today, have the doctor tomorrow but she made me feel like a naughty school child. I am still having pain down the left side and its apparently because I have not rested enough and my muscles etc and not having the time to heal, plus I told her it was a little smelly she thinks I might have an infection so will have to tell him tomorrow.

She has given me exercises to do every day and has said I must lay down every day and rest, I am ment to be going back to work in two weeks well that's when my sick note runs out but I am not ready for my job I know that.

I was told off for doing to much over Christmas but when you have people here and grandkids its so hard but I must admit last few days Ive felt it.

I did was floors and toilets, baths etc as men don't do it properly and kids would never do that lol.

They are back tomorrow and house will be back to normal so I will rest, I will see what consultant says tomorrow but I think he will sign me off again, to be honest at the moment I wish I hadn't bothered having it done. Apart from the lump inside and its still a lump there I never really had any problems, I feel worse now than before.

Still enough of my moaning, I'm going to cheer myself up and put my nails back on lol.

When is your follow up? must be soon, where abouts are you

xxx

• Posted

Oh bless ya!! I’m in Norfolk (uk). You? 

Doesn’t sound like you’re having much fun hun. What do you do for Work.? I’m a self employed nail tech so I’m picking what hours I’m doing which isn’t many atm.  It sounds like you deffo need more time off. 

I’ve got physio next Tuesday. I haven’t been doing any pelvic exercises as I have an issue with my tailbone and tightness and pain around it when doing them. So head physio said to leave them until she sees me and can direct my exercises properly with her. 

I’ve just had another period which was heavier than normal. No idea if the op affects that. I too have an odour that isn’t normal. I wasn’t sure if it was the healing or BV.  No follow up appt been sent me yet but if my butt is still this sore next week I’ll go see my GP again and if the odour is still present tell them. I do keep getting the odd stinging pain. Probs only once or twice a day. In my vaginal  passage, if just starts stinging like mad, lasts about thirty seconds then stops. 

I still can’t bring myself to feel inside. Though I have looked and the outer entrance is definitely smaller with a larger area of healed skin between the two holes. Lol.  Oh the joys of being a woman! Xx

• Posted

Hi Debbie

I must admit Ive been better lol. I work 3 nights a week at Tesco, so its not easy work, I must admit never dreamed it would be so physical but it pays more than days and suits with the kids with school holidays etc, so I am in catch twenty two.

I used to live up in Lincolnshire so you wasn't far from me, I'm in Hertford now been down here nearly 3 years but still prefer living up North to be honest.

How weird I had another one around Christmas and yes mine was heavy with some clots which I was wondering if normal or not. Well physio said today the smell might be infection maybe you need to get it checked Ill see what he says tomorrow and let you know.

Ahh that's why you have nice nails lol.

Yes I do not like sticking my fingers up there lol but its still feeling rather large, lets say nothing else would fit!! lol....

That's the bit I don't understand Ive not really had many pains down there, it makes you wonder what they actually do lol..

Oh yes men have it easy!!

Ill keep you updated

Nikki

xxx

• Posted

Oh lord. I use to work evenings at Wilkinson’s when my kids were small. You’re right it’s not easy.  Can’t imagine you going back to that so soon. 

Re the period I had lots of clots and bits too. Must be to do with the op. 

You must be very swollen inside still I should imagine. Maybe that’s why you feel so snug inside lol. Maybe that’s what we felt like before kids? ! 

I actually YouTubed the op. After seeing what they do I understood why we are in so much pain. When my doc said to me, oh they just snip the back wall cut a strip of skin out and stitch it up. She was being a little reserved lol. If you’re not squeamish take a look 😂 

Good luck tomorrow xx

• Posted

Hi

Hope your ok today

Well I went to see the consultant and to be honest in my opinion they are really not that bothered.

He asked how I was feeling and I said "worse than before I had the op" maybe the was not the best thing to say!!

I told him my stomach is very swollen and there is a constant pain down the left hand side, he ponders and says "mmm not sure why that would be" well your the doctor you should know!!

He is referring me for an ultrasound which is now over a two week wait then back to see him again. The joys lol.

I rang the doctor and have to wait until my certificate for work runs out then I can get another, I think I'm going to go for at least another four weeks and if I need another 4 Ill take it!!.

If I do go back I want to be fully fit, unless I win the lottery or find another job!!

He reckons inside looked ok, but said the swelling could take months to go completely down, they don't tell you this in the beginning!!

Oh I looked on You Tube lol lovely viewing, but yes I could see that as well, like I said its all the things they don't tell you. I mean I never had a swollen stomach before the op and I don't like it now!!

Roll on being back to normal, even sitting in the car is uncomfortable, I haven't bothered driving yet, poor kids had to get the bus home from school tonight, I'm not in the good books lol.

How are you doing today

xxx

• Posted

Sorry I have just reread this post above as I never read anything I type and I sound a really miserable moo, I'm not honestly. I take each day just hate the bloated feeling!! Honestly I'm a very cheerful person normally!! lol

xx

• Posted

Haha you don’t sound miserable. Just frustrated like me!! Wow some doctors are unbelievable. Why couldn’t he just say it’s to be expected rather than he doesn’t know. Doesn’t give you much faith. But glad you’re having a scan.  Going for more sick time sounds wise. The leaflet says it could be three months or more for heavier tasks. 

I’m just sick of having a sore but hole! It feels like I’m sitting on an orange shoved up there. If I forget and sit down quickly on a hard chair it’s like wooahh

Had a bath today. Had a feel inside vag. Felt quite normal and no pain. So odd that pain and soreness is in my butt instead. Oh well wait for appt. well keep each other sane if no one else lol. I took the car to Tesco’s today driving was fine for me. So nice to escape xx

• Posted

Good Morning Debbie

Without sounding weird, did you feel nothing inside at all? I can still feel only describe as a small sausage not so ribbed any more I'm guessing they were stitches? That's weird then if we both had the same or did we?

Mine, I think he said was my rear vagina wall as my bladder was prolapsing maybe that makes a difference to what's there. He seemed to think it was normal, but then I think a lot of gyne surgeons seem a bit pervy lol, possibly not the right thing to say on here!!

So its weird then on you why your butt etc is sore. When is your appointment??

I haven't driven yet, I must admit its brilliant not doing the school run but they I am guessing is going to have to change very soon lol.

I'm saving money not working I must admit as I would shop every night I finished at the moment the cupboards are pretty bare lol...

A question is your tummy still swollen I cant get in my work trousers but then maybe its because I'm not very active at the moment. Lets hope they don't moan when I give in another certificate, saying that sitting here I can feel the pain in that side!! Maybe I'm beginning to imagine it lol

Have a good day and don't strain!! lol

xxx

• Posted

Hi Nicola,

Sorry to interrupt your conversation but if your bladder was prolapsed it would have been your front (anterior) wall that was repaired. The back (posterior) wall is repaired for rectocele or rectoenterocele. 

• Posted

Afternoon!!

Well I have to admit I did feel it very gingerly so maybe soon I’ll be a bit braver. I had the same done as you. A posterior rectocele repair.

I also have a cystocele which they can’t repair as I already have a tvt tape fitted to stop stress incontinence from bladder. Repairing the cystocele might have affected that so they left it. I can still feel that obviously which feels like a front ribbed sausage! 

When they repair the posterior wall they cut then stitch up the interior of the wall to make the supporting tissue stronger before then stitching up along the cut inside the vagina. I’m thinking maybe that’s still swollen inside that tissue making it swollen in my rectum. Then because of all the poohing and swelling it’s causing piles, or the inside to be tender. ? I’m using suppositories and when I insert one it feels very tight inside my rectum so something’s changed.  I’m no doc but I’m good at summising lol. It feels a little less sore today. But still having probs cleaning after a motion. I need shares in Andrex! 

Ahh school runs. Poor you. And I’m spending less too lol. 

The only swelling my tummy has is from overeating at Christmas! I’ve put on a few pounds. Can’t do jeans up so started a diet yesterday. Being inactive isn’t helping although im doing lots now. Wonder why yours is swollen. I wouldn’t have thought it should be Hun xx

• Posted

While I agree with you lmnotadoctor,

I was told that my posterior prolapse was caused by the failure of my anterior repair and initially they were not going to repair the back wall.

I am now left with what I feel is a repair that is too tight at front wall and still suffering syptoms of posterior problems.

So wondered if they have repaired Nicole at back wall in belief that posterior prolapse pulling down front wall causing front prolapse. So maybe only repaired the back wall believing I fast would then pull up the front ?

Phyl x

• Posted

Hi Phyl,

It's not simple is it.  I had my SSF to pull up (fingers crossed) my failed anterior repair. They told me if they didn't do that then just having a posterior repair could make my front wall bulge more as there would be more space for it to move. 

I hope I don't have anything else done as it might involve scaffolding next time! 😉 X 

• Posted

You You would think by now they would be able to grow tissue and ligaments from some of our own cells, and figure out how to replace collegen levels so it all strengthens up naturally.

Pinning up the sagging walls doesn't really fix the cause of the collapse in the first place, which is often why these repairs fail again.

Hopefully by the time my 4 daughters are older they will have figured out something better and less likely to fail.

Phyl x

• Posted

Hi Debbie, I had a similar problem to you in messy motions (if that is a thing!) for several weeks post and it took me about 5 weeks through trial and error to resolve the issue. I read Chris Mosley's book - the clever gut - and looked up info on the IBS forum on this site and learned a bit more about what can lead to sticky poo.  I think my gut was probably very inflamed after a reaction to the various painkillers and meds I had taken to get my bowels moving plus I was used to a high fibre diet as for decades I have bouts of extreme constipation.  We are all are affected by different things, for me I quickly stripped out all the meds I was on apart from paracetamol, stopped all the stool softeners, bulking agents, pre and probiotics and lord knows what else I had either been prescribed or advised to take to help with constipation pre and post op.  From the Clever Guts book, I introduced more gut healing food such as avocado and pineapple and actually moved away from wholemeal bread, brocolli, beans etc. and started eating white or sour dough bread which seemed counter intuitive to me  - I suppose it was leaning towards the FODMAP diet but eventually everything settled. The one good thing that has finally worked following the wretched op for my bladder, bowel and womb prolapse is that I can poo at least once a day and the messy poo or prior to the op the decades of constipation has 'touch wood' stopped  Hope you get some relief too - I thought I would never be able to leave the bathroom or go out without a change of clothes or stack of loo roll in my handbag! Plus it made my bum so sore! Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Redhead,

Did you mean Michael Mosley? I have IBS too & it's been almost impossible at times to work out what has been causing the bowel problems. I kept a food diary for months & find reducing wheat and cutting out milk has helped somewhat. I have had to go back to white bread & hardly any fruit which I miss. I will have to look at that book so thanks for that. I'm hoping now that my prolapse has been repaired I can finally sort my bowel problems out! It does seem odd that I could eat anything for 40+ years then it all went mad. Age perhaps?? X 

• Posted

Didn't realize that the messy sticky unable unable to wipe clean problem had a name.

On reflection you are right about looking at what you eat. It's is really difficult when trying to eat healthier diet/meals; and really strange that it is a problem that some of us didn't have until we had prolapse issues.

I think looking back that my problem started when I switched to wholemeal bread, fruit blending, and probiotics; and eating chocolate to sooth a sore throat. But like you observed could eat anything for years without any problems, and only recently since failure of pelvic floor supports that these issues have surfaced.

X

• Posted

Hi, you are right on his name Michael Mosley and he has been on the TV and has a web site and book called Clever Guts. My digestion system does seem to have settled for longer than it has done in a long time. I can have the occasional lapse without too much of a problem, but as soon as I feel it going sticky and too many times a day or conversely to hard and dry and go back to the basics and up the foods that heal and soothe my system. I just hope it stays this way, the Rectocele and bowel incontinence was very difficult to deal with and took me my lowest ebb. Take care x
    • Posted

Hi Hun. I’ll have to give that a look. I’ve been constipated from birth. The last twenty or so years suffered from ibs.  Which is more from taking  softeners etc. 

The thing is since my op. At the end of passing a motion. My bum hole isn’t doing the nippy up bit that tapers the Pooh off. It’s just coming out, getting near to that stage then stopping opened if you know what I mean. I then have to try squeezing it shut. But the Pooh because it is soft is still there in the folds of skin. I just hope it’s because it’s swollen inside. It’s a bloody nuisance. Especially when the softness make me go four or five times a day! 

• Posted

Phyl,

I'm only calling it IBS as anything they can't explain seems to be covered by the IBS umbrella. I saw a colorectal consultant following my first repair as I had a 'change in bowel habit' & they always say when you get to our age that's what you should do. I had many tests but the only thing they found was weak sphincter muscles. This could be due to damage caused by childbirth. But.......this doesn't explain why what you are passing has become soft/sticky or why it's not all the time. I've assumed it's something in my diet that I've become intolerant to which is why I tried cutting out wheat, milk etc. It's so difficult getting to the bottom of all this (pun intended!). I've tried to keep a sense of humour through all this but sometimes it's hard when you just want to get back to normal. I literally used to be able to eat anything, I don't exercise as much as I probably should but am not overweight. I don't believe post operative swelling has anything to do with it (in my case) as my symptoms continued.  

Is it just coincidence that these symptoms occur following surgery?  Any thoughts? 

• Posted

I am starting to wonder if there is a correlation between prolaps/prolapse repair and this problem of sticky constituency that makes it difficult to wipe clean.

After my first repair I noticed a kink in the posterior wall which i was convinced was due to using ringed pessary and which much later caused this problem once on my feet for long shifts causing back wall to start sagging.

Not sure if that naked sense; anyway I was fine after posterior repair until I was again left on my feet for full shifts and problem resurfaced.

So had to be something to do with sagging walls . I'm sure GP did reckon their was a pocket where contents not evacuating properly and causing incontinence when under pressure and that's why it wasn't wiping clean but the registrar I saw at clinic in hospital under pressure for time didn't check properly dismissing the whole thing and diagnosing it as a front prolapse pulling down the back.

Anyway the actual surgeon who I spoke to on way to theatre said we will see and did do both repairs but still got the problem again.

Maybe back repair was not done tight enough?

It is a big problem that really affects our life and limits us as can't go out very far when like this if at all and get really wound up tight at work incase it happens and can't access toilet quick enough.

Phyl x

• Posted

Hi

No need to apologise. Well I think I am confusing myself now lol....

I had a severe cystocele and a mild rectocele

When I went under they were looking at both but he said only did the cystocele and I'm sure he said the back wall was cut and sown.

• Posted

Hi again

Ok a question and I am sorry for asking but the ribbed sausage does it feel to the back of your finger or the front......

I keep looking in the mirror at my tummy and I feel like six months pregnant, I know I'm not doing much and my job was active, they told me today they miss my singing and crazy antics lol,  but I am not the biggest eater in the world. We are starting the diet on Wednesday, I followed it before a few years ago and was happy when I got down in size. This time I'm determined especially for holiday.

You poor thing it all sounds very painful, the things us ladies have to go through, when you think men get all the pleasure, we have the periods, child birth, menopause and now the prolapses , its just not a fair world, saying that men would not cope they are dying if they get a cold lol....

Well I do hope it all heals up quickly and its so nice to be able to ask questions and hear about other people.

Have a great Saturday night

xxx

• Posted

Morning honey. 

Well. I braved it and had a feel this morning in bed. On my front wall my bladder side i have a ribbed lump. Say half a small peach size. So that will be my Un- repaired cystocele. 

I had to insert my thumb to feel my back wall ( rectum side) and I can feel bunched up skin. Not sore at all. But I have clumps of the prickliest sharpest stitches in the world that stabbed my thumb!! So glad I’m not sexually active yet as they would have shredded my hubbies todger to bits! Lol. 

I feel a lot more comfortable the past two days in my rectum. So fingers crossed I’ve passed the worst point.  Although I now have a virus that’s making me cough so I’m holding on tight to everything when I do. 

Went grocery shopping yesterday. Hubby did all lifting still of course. But after an hour round Tesco’s I get a very heavy draggy feeling down below. I’m hoping when I start physio it’ll help. 

With your tummy swelling. Have you thought of getting a Diflucan thrush capsule.? You can buy cheaper Asda own brand. It may be the antibiotics killed off your good bacteria in your gut and you just need to put that right.  I had one at week two because I felt thrushy. Just a thought. 

How are you today? Xxx

• Posted

Thank you for your tip, my husband just got this book. I'm going to give it a read 😀

• Posted

I just had my rectocele and cystocele plus hysterectomy repair Jan 25. Its been 9 days and my butt hurts more than anything. I feel like every time I est domething I have to ho. Am on stool softener and miralsx. Comes out do thin. Is that normal? If I knew how painful this would be I wouldn’t have done it. Thanks for any advise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.