rectocele repair

Posted , 7 users are following.

good morning. i have never used a forum before but im not finding my hospital very helpful.

i am two weeks post op rectocele repair and already had antibiotics for a bladder infection. i still have to use suppositories to empty my bowel as there is no drive no push as if its dead.can anyone help me on this as i feel he has made things worse. i walk every day. i eat healthy i drink alot of water but no it doesnt want to work. my gp gave me laxido to take but found that too aggresive. i really wanted to do this by myself naturally but am i wrong. i would really appreciate some help here on what to do what to expect etc.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

The worse thing you can do after any repair is strain on the toilet.

You will need to help go for months yet as the internal stitches and tisdu e heals.

You are not meant to go naturally at this stage and any help is the best way forward.

The best formula is movicol. It's very effective is giving you easy bowels movements without being a purge. I had my tvh and repair in January and still take 2 a day.

You will get there but you are so early in recovery that your body is still healing.

It takes 12 wks for your body to begin to return to normal.

Whatever you do don't strain to poo or you will prolapse again for sure.

Just rest and no heavy lifting and bending.x

• Posted

hi there thankyou for your reply. it made me feel so much better. just one thing if the glycerin suppositories allow me to pooh should i still take the laxido or is it one or the other.
    • Posted

My doctor gave me suppositories as well as Iaxatives, I needed to take a suppository on occations when I couldn't pass bm, .so you can take them together when needed.better to use a suppository than STRAIN.this situation will pass eventually. It did for me,so hang on in there.its really early days for you.get lots of rest.no lifting.follow the chart ,if you were given one.x

• Posted

Both work together so I'd continue.as long as you have a poo without any pushing you are fine.

When I poo i just sit and it just slides out no.pushing nothing.best to be too soft than hard.

I'd continue for another couple of mobth s so your out of danger zone. Good luckxx

• Posted

I saw my consultant tonight hun for a check up and he said suppository and movicol is absolutely fine.

You can use suppositories when ever you need help with the evacuation😳

I've tried prunes etc but still need help.

I live in Hampshire too, a lovely place called Lymington.x

• Posted

Hu I am now 60 days post op for a stage 3 (almost 4) rectocele and vaginoplasty . It was according to my surgeon a textbook recovery. I wasnt evacuating solo without aids of meds or suppositories or combination of both for at least 1st month. Then I weaned off off each one at a time as I was able and after a few days of clean eating and daily walks I am now off all meds related to my surgery. In fact after the operation I dropped 20 pounds and to reduce my (type 2) glumetza.

Drjkk LOTS OF Fluids!!! I made mysf drink waaaày more than I was accustomed to. I have phone alarms set to remind me to go pee every 2 hrs even if I dont feel the urge to go. I so far have successfully avoided any infection. I also used a peri bottle for the 1st 2 weeks after every pee/poo.

I hope you find relief!

• Posted

morning welsgirl167

you are down the road to me. how many weeks post op are you? im taking one laxido in the evening. breakfast i am having cereal with prunes. mornings i usually use a suppositry to help me go but this morning i didnt need one. how excited was i. i drink lots of fluids and fruit throughout the day. i really want to go back to work next week but thinking i should listen and take the full 4 weeks. just feel guilty for my work mates as they are covering for me. i work in a doctors surgery so always so busy but i will probably regret it. im just bored because im not meant to do much..

• Posted

Hi

I definatly wouldnt advise going back to work just yet. I work in a docs surgery and know how manic it can be and only went back 12 weeks after my hysterectomy and rectocoele repair. I have been back 4 weeks now but still on reduced hours as i cant manage full time hours. Keep using laxatives and suppositories if you need them , its not good to strain as its still very early days for you yet also rest as much as you possibly can.

Good luck and i hope you start to feel better soon x

• Posted

hi bobsey

thankyou for your comments. i think i will have another week off. my bm are very unpredictable at the moment. i only do 25 hrs so as long as im sensible im sure i will be ok. i do two full days and two half. maybe they would let me adjust my two full days for alittle while as i still have an afternoon nap.

love this forum everyone has been so helpful the hospital dont tell you anything.

• Posted

you're so right about the lack of information.I was able to speak to the hospital matron,she acknowledged that fact.and she said she would be arranging a pack to be given to all the women having this type of op.I mentioned this forum and how helpful it's been for us.no doubt you've mentioned it to the doctors in your surgery.anyways glad to know you're managing OK. bowels do take time to adjust.I now have no need of suppositories .☺ just prunes and prune juice.and stool softness. laxatives now and then.

• Posted

hi margaret

thats great news on your progress. i will tell the surgery about the forum when i go back. i cant rate it enough. it has helped me loads. im doing ok. yesterday i had alot of pain but today nothing. its all up and down. every day is different.

• Posted

hi Debbie, sorry to hear you've had pain.hope you have someone there giving you some TLC.I had a bit of a down day yesterday .OK today though.take care.x

• Posted

If Laxido (movicol) is too aggressive, try reducing dose slightly each day to get required result. I am 12 months after rectocele repair ans 6 months after cystocele repair and still take Laxido. You will get there, takes time and patience.
    • Posted

thankyou miriam great help. how long were you off work. ive had two weeks but hospital said 4 weeks but i feel ok in myself.
    • Posted

Dont rush it. I'm way too old to work so that has not been a problem but take your time you may get more soreness from time to time especially when you start to do more. Delay the decision for awhile.

• Posted

If wouldn't go back to work yet as your internal stitches are sti l not knitted together.

I know titanic ladies on here tha t went back to early and prolapse again.

All you should be thinking about is rest hun.

I felt great a week after my tvh and repair but do too much and it bite you on the bum.

Think.of youx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.