Rectocele repair help!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I'm in my early 20s and due to have a posterior repair I have a 9 month old son and knew early on something wasn't right I saw lots of doctors gynaecologists and physios all of them told me I had no prolapse just laxity, even though I knew full well I did the back vaginal wall comes out the opening I have a lot of constipation and difficulty with bm and I tried sex once since my baby and it was so loose because of the stretching the prolapse has caused I was very depressed have spilt from partner as I don't want to be close to him and feel so unattractive. I finally went to see a private gynaecologist as soon as he examined me before even checking internally he could see I had a Rectocele and also a tear from childbirth at the opening that hasn't been stitched that he will also fix he is happy to go ahead with surgery but as it is private I will need to save to pay for it. I 100% want to go through with the surgery and just want to feel normal again. But I am really concerned with everything I have read on here about no lifting and no excercise. I work at a private hospital myself with dying patients who require lifting and long 12 hour shifts always on my feet sometimes on a night. How long would I need off from work, and how would I convince them to let me? Also lifting my son, lifting things around the house etc. I have my parents who are very supportive and will help out a lot but in the future when everything has healed will I have to stop certain excercise and lifting for the rest of my life? I'm so worried about the prolapse coming back as it seems to happen to a lot of people dose anyone have any long term success with this operation? What did you do differently after? Hope someone can help thank you

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

chloe the fact that you have seen lots of gynaecologists and physios you may have a problem getting another referral under the NHS. Have you seen a Urogynaecologist? If you aren't sure you can send me their names by personal message and I'll check other than that you could find them by looking online. Some gynaecologists perform prolapse repair but do not have the added very important qualification. 
    • Posted

Matron you are right on target. I researched who was teaching and performing surgery
  • Posted

Hi I had a cystocele and rectocele repair, here (in Canada) called a & p repair or anterior and posterior colporraphy on dec2 2015. I'm 40 btw. Anyway, I too was concerned because my one year old is 25 lbs and I had no relatives or anyone to help me after the surgery - I went home the next day after surgery from hospital and got the baby back from my aunt that same night because he had an ear infection and wanted mom and no one else /wink. I had no pain from surgery, and went straight back to lifting my baby (he's walking now but wasn't in dec and I still lift him all the time) I am single parenting him and his 6 year old brother for most of their lives (all of the baby's life) bcuz their father has drug issues. Anyway - u don't hear success stories because people only post when they have a problem; generally when everything goes well they tend to move on with life - which is what we all want, right? My six week checkup everything was healed up nicely and I had some stress incontinence before surgery that has pretty much cleared up as well (except under extreme pressure - which I found out on weekend when I had flu, threw up violently and consequently wet myself!) regular coughing and sneezing don't make me leak anymore tho. I was very active before surgery ran on treadmill 6 days a week and now I'm finally at 12 weeks almost I can start running again - my doc gave me the go ahead at six weeks but to be safe I've been fast walking till now. Doing kegels with apps on my iPhone to remind me; and no I never rested or had anyone but me doing vacuuming and other housework. Just lift properly and you will feel it if you overdo it - good luck to you! Oh yes, i too was mortified about my laxity after my second son the surgery has taken care of that too. Hope this helps you!
    • Posted

malecai you were put in a difficult situation following your surgery but I would strongly recommend ladies reading it think that they could do what you did and not have problems. I don't know what information you are given in Canada but here in the UK where most of the ladies are on this forum (it's a UK website) the advice is complete rest for the first 2 weeks with short walks around the house,lifting nothing heavier than a kettle (half full of water) and then gradually mobilising until 6 weeks when as you start to feel better thinking about housework and shopping. 
    • Posted

You're right matron I do seem to recover from surgeries rather quickly, and my sheets from the hospital when I was discharged did say no lifting more than 50 lbs for 2 weeks; I was very worried about this re my son and asked my gyne prior to the surgery because of all the reading I'd done on it including this site - what she told me that since my body is used to lifting him, it's not as straining as long as I lift properly (lift him close to my body, using my arms and legs and squeeze my pelvic floor muscles and exhale while lifting) so I wouldn't cause intra abdominal pressure. I just wanted to give a positive account that it can be done (having this surgery while u still have a small baby that requires lifting constantly) because although it may not be the norm (although my gyne says it is common to have a quick recovery at my age) some women don't have any choice they have no one to do all their housework or help with their kids, and they shouldn't think they have to suffer with prolapse for years because of this. Surgery is possible

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.