Rectocele surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

i am 12 days post op from rectocele surgery and do feel extremley tired ,is this normal ,i havent been over doing it ,mainly bed rest ,also i have uti maybe this isnt helping ,i would be grateful for any feed back

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi there.,

I had rectocele and cystocele surgery on 1 May last year. Yes its totally normal to be super tired while u heal. I think we underestimate the magnitude of this surgery cos from the outside there's nothing to see. take it easy and rest as much as u can, especially lying down to take the weight off ur surgery site. listen 2 ur body and rest rest rest.

• Posted

hello, i hope you dont mind me asking did you have a bad first oeriod after surgery ?

• Posted

Yes, its normal, I had rectocele surgery, and felt totally wiped out for weeks afterwards. Let someone else do everything if you can for a while until you feel better. Its classed as a major operation, and takes months to get back to normal. Drink a lot, and don't get constipated whatever you do. I was told to take lactulose which was useless, as my rectal muscles had stopped working. Laxido, also called macrogel, and movicol are better, they are not stimulant laxatives, but draw fluid into the bowel, and help a lot. No lifting heavier than half a kettle, no squatting or bending. You need to get over this without straining of any kind, you don't

want it to fail. Just do what you've been doing, rest, have a nap, watch tv read, Get the next few weeks over with.

• Posted

I had the same surgery 4 weeks ago. I did sleep a lot at night and rested a lot during the day, which I've heard is normal. Please be sure to also be walking daily and to be working your way back into normal activities. Exclusive bed rest is not recommended and will result in a loss of muscle tone, which places too much pressure on the pelvic floor. Too little exercise can also make you feel tired.

• Posted

thanks for your replies it means alot to know other peoples experiences ,i have been up daily and out twice so i guess i am doing ok ,it just makes you feel a bit useless but my husband has been amazing ,i think because most if it is internal you forget what has been done ,it would be good to know week by week what i should expect as they dont tell you enough thanks everyone

• Posted

agreed I dont think we r told enough at all about what 2 expect during the recovery period

• Posted

i feel i have a very over active bladder at the moment ,i need to go every 10 mins ,i did have a uti after op ,i winder if its still that or is it normal as i now feel alot of pressure and discomfort in my bum and lady bits ,any ideas

• Posted

hi Emma

it's very early days for you if I'm honest.. it takes up to 12 wks to feel more yourself after these ops.

I'd suggest going back to your gp to check for UTI again. keep your bowels soft and no straining.

yiu will feel very sore when yiur stitches are for many weeks yet so dont worry too much. keep resting and see your consultant if yiu have concerns.

this is is far more painful than anterior repair and can take longer.

good

• Posted

thanks for your quick response ,it is great confort to get advice from some lovely ladies ,you just dont know what to expect after this op ,definately worth having it done but just slow progress i guess

• Posted

we dont get told much with regards recovery.. I know a lot more after my first znterior6 failed withing a few weeks. I did nothing but rest but still didn't hold well.

2 years on with a new professor in Urogynacologist and re interior and tvh I can tell you it doesnt get any easier.

these ops have no guarantees either so hit and miss unfortunately.

I'm still very paranoid a year on but all we can do is jo heavy lifting and low impact exercise and just pray lol.

if I'd known 23 yrs ago I'd of opted for a ccaserian lol and done pelvuc floors.

I'm age 51,very slim and otherwise healthy. chin up my love,we are all in ut together. xx

• Posted

thanks welshgirl ,i am 51 too ,i had one natural birth and one c section ,i am going to be very mindful of what i do now ,i was a cleaner and was always lifting heavy things etc without a care in the world ,as women we do tend to have drawn the short straw all these aging problems lol ,what part if wales do you live in ,i used to live in north wales ,i hope you get all the help you need from your gynae team ,still waiting on uti results ,lets hope it picks up something as i do sting a bit ,its lovely to chat to someone in the same situation ,take care x

• Posted

hi Emma

I'm from south Wales near gower. your so right about it all.

it's sad we can have a cure for all this but its dufficu6 isn't it.

yes I have a fabulous professor who knows his stuff so I'll always be guided him always.

xxx

• Posted

hi welshgirl ,

its fab we have this facility to chat to others about the probkens we exoeriebce ,i was told my op was very challenging and took 2.30 hours instead if 1.30 ,i am interested to fund out mire at my check up in 10 weeks time ,we are kucky to have good surgeons around ,its very hard nit to do toi much isnt it ,take care xx

• Posted

totally agree Welshgirl

I had my first rectocele cystocele repair when I was 24 after having forceps delivery with my first. my doctor said any subsequent babies would need 2 be cesarean which was fine by me. never a mention of pelvic floor exercises .... then 2 yrs later delivered twins by cesarean and still no mention of pelvic floor. fast forward to 50yrs old and I'm having the surgery again. pelvic floor physio says if I'd had my first born these days I would've been referred 2 a physio asap but nothing like that back then. my point being is we've come so far but little info seems to filter down to us about post OP etc. it's almost like it's an expected surgery for us poor child bearing women!

• Posted

I completely agree kym it's so wrong. I'd of so opted for caesarian if it meant reducing the risk hun.

all these surgeries have left me paranoid. I wont lift anything heavier than 4 pints and only walk or swim for exercise. I see women running and I imagine there organs bouncing around inside lol, I cringe knowing what I know now.

I know one day I'll get my back wall done as he wont touch it as only grade 1 but it diesnt feel like😠

my professor knows his stuff so I'm coping for as long as I can.

chin up ladies. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.