Recurrent Cystitis (HELP!)

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello, i am a 20 year old female and have suffered with cystitis since i was 16. It was only when i started dating my current partner who i have been with for a year and 5 months, that i noticed my symptoms were more recurrent. I deal with recurrent cystitis on a day to day basis, even when i don't have intercourse. I recently was transferred to my local hospital by my GP as the urine samples came back negative. They done a scan and everything seemed normal with my kidneys and bladder. Went back a couple of weeks later and was told i need to pee at least 3 litres for 3-4 weeks. Even though i don't drink nearly enough i just feel  there is a deeper cause. I have had thrush which i was given medication for, not sure if it worked or not but is it possible to get thrush inside of the urethra? because i was only treated for external thrush. I have struggled severely with depression because of this i am also scared it will push my boyfriend away as i rarely go out because of it and he misses out on doing stuff with me as a couple even though we live together it is nice to get out together too. I really hope someone can give me some answers on what i should do as i am really hard on myself about it. 

0 likes, 86 replies

86 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just thought i would keep everyone updated since it has been a while since i last posted on this...I am currently booked in next Wednesday to get a bladder scan to see if i am emptying my bladder properly PLUS i have an assessment to go to on the 1st of June to see if i am able to go under a general anesthetic as i am getting a cystoscopy later on in the month. Right now i am just trying to drink enough water to flush my symstom out every day but even though i was told that was why i have been getting recurrent cystitis i still don't think that is the underlying problem. If anyone else has this problem or have had progress with their recurrent cystitis/uti's then please share as any advice is good advice smile 
    • Posted

Hi Emma & Lynne I too haven't posted for a while. Since having the cystoscopy a fortnight ago I have been infection free but every day is a constant worry as to when it will return as we all know it will!! I have been making sure I have been emptying my bladder completely each time I wee and I'm still drinking loads. I have started taking Vit C soluble tablets too as someone suggested these help. I started a new job recently but luckily the toilet is just outside my office and nobody takes any notice of howoften I go. I'm now waiting for my appointment to come through to have the cystoscopy under anesthetic and I too am frightened but you're right Emma if it helps it has to be worth it. I hope you ladies are feeling ok at the moment. Good luck next Wednesday Emma.
    • Posted

What did they do during the cystoscopy to prevent you from getting recurrent infections? I am guessing the first cystoscopy you went through you weren't put to sleep for it?...That is really good you have been infection free. There are cures for this in some people depending what is actually confident so stay positive and strong this could be the end of all the infections for you smile ! Do you still feel you need to go to the toilet a lot? (just because you said nobody notices you going to the toilet a lot at your new job). I just have the fear of not waking back up or what it would feel like when they are putting you to sleep but then again that is what the assessment is for, to  make sure you are healthy enough to be put to sleep. My dad had a hernia operation a month back and he said he never knew he was put to sleep, never felt anything but he did say he was quite tired when he went in for the operation. He was back home the same day as well so hopefully we will be also smile . Thank you, hope all goes well. Had to get the appointment changed to next Wednesday as i couldn't even push myself to travel with the way my cystitis has been. Thank you for keeping me updated also. Hope to hear back from you with more progress soon smile
    • Posted

hi Kerry  Glad to hear yours is settled at present, and your job suits better.

lve had a frequency day today, though not painful, sure the wet cold weather aggrevates, But also waiting for cystoscopy, after a scan, and agree youve got to go for it despite feeling wary, as l do, but only way to try find a cause.  Seems a lot of us are waiting on list for cystoscopy, at least were on the list, hope its not a long one.  Be interesting to find out what everyone,s results are, early night for me, so good luck

• Posted

hi Emma,  l, l had a cystoscopy 8yr ago, l recall it was a small jab in back of hand, and just drifting into a natural sleep, dont think it takes them long to have a look, so woke feeling ok, just a bit sore, and went home an hour later.  l ditto you, l was due for scan tues gone, been confidentish l could get there, but its a long complicated journey, train and bus  to city hospital, reality was l couldnt do it, rang them to explain and they put it back till next tuesday and offered shared patient car, thats good.  Also feeling shattered today, be glad for early night, and hope tomorrow a better day.  Let us know how your scan  goes, and results.  Good luck to all. 
    • Posted

Hello Lynne. When you put it like that it doesn't sound so bad. I am just a paranoid person when it comes to those kind of things so tend to get a bit freaked out at first. Did you feel like you still had your symptoms after the cystoscopy or were you just sore from the procedure?...I had literally no sleep the night before trying to drink loads of water which brought on a sore head and nausea plus i still had my symptoms which made me feel worse so couldn't even push myself to go. I am just glad i am on the cystoscopy list and that they are pushing a long with it really quickly because i just got told the other day i had my assessment on the 1st of June so not that far away at all. Just hope the cystoscopy isn't that much longer after the assessment as i have my boyfriends mums wedding in July and i don't want to be ill for that. Thank you, you too smile 
  • Posted

Just trying to keep everyone updated as much as possible as i want to try and help other people who are suffering with the same symptoms as myself...I recently went to the doctors to have my first smear test and while i was having the test the doctor did notice a lot of discharge and some thrush while she was getting a sample of my tissue. So i am now booked in to get tested for thrush but this time it is going to be looked into deeper to see how much thrush has actually produced and how bad it is. I have read that this can be the cause of cystitis/uti's which i am actually hoping it is as it can be treated very quickly with antibiotics. I also found out that if your body is too acidic (not sure exactly how you can find out wither it is or not but i think you can buy test strips out of your local pharamcy to see where your ph levels are) it can cause thrush and recurrent cystitis so i am going to be looking into that as well and pick up a couple of strips from boots or my local pharmacy when i am next out and about. You can go on a strict alkalise diet if this is the case. Not really sure what you are meant to eat when you are on this diet. Still trying to figure this out myself but i know you are meant to eat a lot of fruit and veg, preferably greens and lots of water. Worth a try i suppose. Got my hospital appointment on Wednesday not really looking forward to going because i am still not feeling great, just wish my doctors appointment was before my hospital one so i know if i have thrush and if going to the hospital is a waste of time or not.

Hope everyone is doing ok and has found the problems to their symptoms and if you have any updates i would love to hear them smile 

• Posted

Most likely you have systemic candida which is an overgrowth of candida in the gut and this will transfer to any organs in the body. If you have had repeated antibiotics in the past then your gut flora will have been pretty much wiped out. Gut flora is vital for the immune system, keeping down bugs and regulating enzymes and making things like B12 and other B vitamins.  If you have had thrush, its no good just treating it with antifungals - the healing has to come from inside. Cut all sugars and carbs (all feed candida and fungus overgrowth), eat a diet full of nutrients, proteins, vitamins, and good fats. Fats are what the body thrives on (good animal fats, coconut oil etc - not the bad hydrogenated, rubbish fats). Take probiotics (but these could cause die off and make you feel worse for a while). Just being told by doctors to drink more is wrong - that is not a solution, nor is taking drugs and pharmaceuticals. You will also need some liver support whilst detoxing because the liver processes everything. Look up and research about natural liver support remedies. Its a long path to getting well but it is possible. It just means a total change of mindset - away from antibiotics, medications and only food as a healing tool, get rid of foods that are damaging the immune system, and letting the body heal itself.
  • Posted

Hi ,I would advise you both get treated as you will be giving it back to yourself .D mannose many people find helpful.
  • Posted

Hello everyone, just thought i would keep you all updated since my last post. I went to the doctors and got tested for thrush AGAIN and my results came back negative so no action was further required. I still have my appointment on the 2nd of June to go under general anesthetic for a cystoscopy sp hopefully all goes well with that and i will get back to you all with the results. If anyone else has had success with their cystitis/urine infections then please share smile Thank you xx
    • Posted

Hi Emma  l had my pre op asessment last monday, and all went wrong before, got a bacterial cystitus days before, rare event for me, sods law, so on anti bs trimathop which  took worst symptoms  away but still a bit infetion present at assessment, plus a bit bronichal, so they put it back for a while, a relief in one way, as l did feel unwell, but also big dissapointment not to get it over with. It does leave you a bit sore after, but it should settle in a while, Val on here had hers 2 days ago, now recovering.  l,m same as you and dont sleep well night before and get a bit anxious, drinking to help,  but last time it wasnt a big deal and at least you find out any probs and get trreatment. lve now to go for a kidney bladder scan on 3rd wed, , then hope theyll speed up cystoscopy. Anyway hope all goes well for you on 2nd, youll be in and out in an hour or two, and you get results that help, post about it, sure you,ll have a great wedding, hope it warms up a bit for summer.  Hope you get an early slot for your scope, good luck.
    • Posted

Hi Emma I hope all goes well on Tuesday. I'm still waiting for my appointment to come through but have been lucky enough not to have had any infection now for 9 weeks . I've been continuing to drink loads each day so maybe that's helping. I'll look out for your post after the op. Best wishes.
    • Posted

Hello Lynne, thanks for commenting 😊 Aw no! I hate it when I get one the day before I have to go somewhere as you always believe it will still be there on the day. I am just going to have to push myself l to go no matter what as I didn't expect to get my assessment and op date this early. My assessment is the 1st of June and my op the 2nd of June so hope all goes well. Think I am going in for the rigid cystoscope as it is the only one they put you to sleep for. Think you get the option for an epidural instead, not sure though. But they do the rigid cystoscope if they want to take a tissue or to do work on you so hopefully if I have got something it isn't serious. Will definitely get back to you on how I get on. Oh, it is not my wedding it is my boyfriends mum's wedding I am going to and don't really want to be ill for that, that is why I am so glad I have got such an early appointment to get the op done. Just trying to find the problem to me feeling like this on a daily basis and mark off all the negatives (Things that aren't causing me to feel this way, like the thrush for example) But hopefully all goes well at your scan and hopefully you get an appointment for the cystoscope soon 😊 Take care xx
    • Posted

Thank you, I hope so too 😊 Aww, that's good. I still have bouts of cystitis on and off sometimes it is there but it isn't annoying me as much but still effects me going out and about. Yeah I have been drinking more than what i used to, maybe not as much as I would have liked to but enough to make me feel ok and for me to look back and be proud of how much I am drinking now. Yeah same to you, hopefully our ops go well and hopefully yours won't be long coming through the door 😊 Take care xx
    • Posted

Hi Thanks, typical sods law l,d get rare bacterial cystitus days before, and did feel ill with it, but would have gone for it just to get results, but they wouldnt do it, l didnt know you could have epidural, but guess mine was a rigid one, as with last one. Didn,t expect it to be put back so far, l,m going to write to urologist if he can speed it up, as lve been waiting a long time anyway.  Same for me wanting to find cause of ongoing probs daily, so lets hope we all find cause and solutions.  So again hope all goes well for yours , good luckx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.