Recurring pityriasis rosea

Posted , 55 users are following.

Hello

I was interested to read other experiences. I am currently experiencing a recurrance of pityriasis rosea. I had the first occurance about 9 or 10 years ago and my Dr too was not only surprised to see a rare disorder but to see it in someone at my age. I was 27 then. Even more surprised now at late 30's!

I too thought there was a patch of ringworm on my arm and recently had an awful cold and took 2 days off work (that's really rare for me as I'm a bit a workaholic). I didn't pay any attention to it at first, the spots that now cover my tummy, and a fear of having chicken pox actually made me look into what I had. When I read the symptons I realised that my symptons are classic. I would have left it at that, because I'm not suffering at all - not even itchy spots, provided I don't scratch the herald patch - I don't even notice it. It was only when I read that only 2% recurs that I read on and found your experiences.

My herald patch and spots has been so typical in both cases that there is no doubt it is pityriasis rosea. My Dr the first time told me that it was most likely to be stress related.

My only curiosity this time is why now? Its made me consider taking a holiday in the sun (how often is the diagnosis to spend time in the sun?) to make sure I'm not opening myself up to to something more sinister - maybe this is natures little warning that I'm over doing it.

Does anyone else think like that?

0 likes, 72 replies

72 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello, I'm 19 and I'm currently expeirencing my second lot of pityriosis rosea. The first time I had a distinct solitary patch which was diagnosed as ring worm. Within a few days I was covered in smaller patches, and upon returning to the Dr he took one look at the marks on my body and knew exactly what it was. He has only seen it twice in his career! This case lasted 10 weeks; and I was told ro use athletes foot cream to help the itch. This time, it's 16 months later than the last outbreak and here I have it again. Although I don't rwally have a distinct herald patch this time and it's really bad in my underarms. Although I've had this one for about 3 weeks and it already seems to be healing! 
    • Posted

Hi there! it is a bit of a relief to hear that someone close in my age group has experienced PR for a second time. I had the herald patch a while back and felt a cold come on a few weeks ago and then just this week i noticed the smaller spots that come with PR appeared on my skin. I was worried because I heard PR rarely reoccurs but by reading all of these posts I am a bit more comforted that I am not alone. I first experienced PR when I was 10 and no one knew what it was and now I am 20 and have it again. It didnt really concern me back then being a kid but now that I am older I notice and worry about things a bit more.
    • Posted

Ah I am also relieved to see that I am not the only person to have has PR as a teen! I first had PR at the age of 16 after a rather stressful "life change". My herald patch was on my arm and for about 4 months the whole of my body bar my head and hands were covered. Since then, I get regular mini flareups (no more than 2 or 3 "spots") once or twice a year. 8 years on, I have one on my neck and forearm, and for the first time, they are itching! I had to go to 4 different doctors before it was diagnosed.
    • Posted

This honestly makes me feel so much better. I'm 19 right now and I'm having my 2nd flare up within the last 3 years. Although, this time I thought it was a ringworm because my doctor said that it was impossible to get PR twice, some doctor, but it also doesn't itch. However, the first time I got it, it was EVERYWHERE and sooo itchy. Anyway, it's definitely a herald patch on the outside of my thigh, last time it was on my abdomen. I've never really been sick before I've gotten it, but I can admit to being extremely stressed during both instances, and feeling a tad weak and just exhausted. Also, I see everyone on here arguing if sun exposure is better or worse for it; it worked for me. I know this is bad, but I just went to a regular 'ole tanning bed for a couple of weeks. Hopefully this helps!

• Posted

i hear ya! i am 28 years old. i had the first outbreak when i was like 13 which was awesome didnt have to go to school til my mom figured out that its not contagious. and it was only like 7 patches on my abdomen.. Boom done withing 3 weeks... and here i am now 28 years old and i look like a chetah from neck to navel. i dont know why we are getting this reoccurence of something that we are suppose to only see once in a lifetime but maybe i should start playing the lotto. 

Things ive tried:

Clinical strength slesun blue- OUCH!!!!! burned

Antibacterial soap- nothing

Aquaphor- feels smoother

Tea tree Conditioner- feels better, smoother, kept from over heating, still red and pink!!! 

i need some relief!

• Posted

I was first diagnosed when I was 12.  I would go thru periods of breaking out, or only having one or two spots, then it would clear up for a few months and it would come back again.  This went on till I was approx 40 yrs old.  So what changed?  I became a strict vegetarian.  I had no meat for 3 yrs.  The other side benefit was my rosacea drastically improved.   Might want to give it a try...
    • Posted

Do you think it may be linked to food sensitivity? I am on my 4th bout of PR since I was 18, I am now 23. The first time was the worst but it seems like it waxes and wanes. I recently started eating dairy/meat more frequently. I am just wondering if you have still been free of PR since you wrote this 4 years ago!

• Posted

It is absolutely diet related. It might not cause it, but for me it can certainly create the right environment for it to flare up.

For me, it's alcohol, sugar, too little water. And over the counter pain medication that contains opiates will definitely create a flare-up if I use them for too long (I have a chronic pain condition).

• Posted

UPDATE:

I finally got an answer from a dermatologist. What I have always thought was pityriasis rosea, is actually guttate psoriasis. It recurs; it looks almost identical; it is highly itchy; and it is immune-system-related.

It usually occurs as a result of strep bacteria, and it can also be inheritable.

Thought this might be helpful to anyone reading this who may have also been misdiagnosed.

• Posted

Hello everyone. I recently posted about a month ago saying I was experiencing my second bout of PR. Now my spots are almost completely gone! Here are the things that have helped me that you might want to try

- rubbing oil of oregano over the entire PR area before bed each night

(this made my PR spots very itchy and irritated but whatever works right?!)

- taking an acidophilus probiotic pill each night before bed (known to improve digestive system)

- using an organic no-chemical body wash I found at the health food store)

- and I recently stopped eating beef and pork (I read one of the previous postings and read that they had become vegetarian) 

Hope this helps, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! I believe I experienced PR for a second time because of poor eating choices and stress. I have since cut out soda, fast food, and red meat from my diet. 

• Posted

Question to group...do any of you have herpes simplex virus/cold sores/fever blisters?  My son who had this does and this PR outbreak cames at a super stressful time, much like fever blisters.   Head & shoulders worked like a charm
  • Posted

I am so fed up, I have PR again 15 years after my first outbreak which lasted 16 weeks, this time it is worse and i have it all over me apart from my feet! Brilliant! I am three weeks in this time with the herald patch in my belly button which is really sore and I am far itchier than last time! Doc said as I thought, sit it out and wait, been on the sunbed so at least I have a healthy glow amidst the rash! I know it will go as we all do, but can't help feeling a bit sorry for myself!
    • Posted

I feel your pain! I'm on my 4th round of PR, just 10 months after my last round. All 4 times have been after strep throat. I've learned that the tanning bed works best, however, it's such a slow healing process. I'm currently covered from heAd to toe (from my scalp to my toes) and miserable. Even though I know it goes away with time it doesn't make it less tolerable. I'm an avid runner and have not been able to exercise for 2 weeks so far due to itching. I'm currently using coco butter lotion because other lotions burn, taking extra Vitamin C and D3 and researching autoimmune deficiencies since I feel this is what I have. This means changing my diet and excluding inflammatory foods, and eating more anti-inflammatory ones. I'm in week 3 of this dreaded rash...just 9 more weeks to go...sigh..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.