red and inflamed looking head of penis for months. please help

Posted , 3 users are following.

my urethra has become red and now all around the edge of the head of my penis is very very red, almost the whole head looks completely red, I've tried almost everything is there anybody who can help me please?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Could just be balanitis, but it's hard to say without a pic.  How long has it been like that, are you sexually active, and what exactly have you tried so far?

You need to be on a PC or laptop to add pictures.  If you are, then you should see some extra icons towards the top right of where you type, and the right hand icon (which I think is supposed to look like the sun over mountains) will add images.

The pic I've attached here shows the icons:

• Posted

I'm on my phone unfortunately but cab send pictures another way if we can, and first I tried bacterial stuff like doxycillan and it didn't work, then I tried clotrimazole for 10 days but didn't work, and on Tuesday a urologist said I could try hrdrocortisone for 7 days but to stop after, I'm on day 5 and it still hasn't helped, I'm thinking of trying clotrimazole for a full two weeks?

• Posted

If you've already seen a urologist, it's unlikely anyone here will be able to give you better advice.

Clotrimazole (Canesten) is often very effective for balanitis, but Doxycillin is an antibiotic, so wouldn't normally help with fungal infections, and could even make the problem worse.

If the problem is still there after you finish the hydrocortisone, then I'd try Canesten, but see the urologist again if it gets worse, or doesn't get better in say a week.

You haven't said whether or not the urologist actually said you have balanitis, but this is what I usually cut and paste for it:

If it's balanitis, then these links may help:

https://patient.info/health/balanitis-leaflet

https://patient.info/doctor/balanitis-pro

(written for doctors)

Washing (with water, no soap) daily, and taking a leak and washing after masturbation or sex will probably help, and you could also try Canesten cream or Daktarin cream.  Loose fitting cotton underwear may help, and some sites recommend washing underwear with non-biological washing powder or liquid.

• Posted

thank you so much.  I've tried canesten and clotrimazole for a week and it didn't go sway completely,  but maybe I'll try it for a full two weeks and see if anything changes. I know this redness and pain is coming from something but no doctors have been able to help.

• Posted

You can message anyone by clicking on their username, and then on "Message".

• Posted

am I able to message from my phone?  I do not have a computer and I don't see the message option 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.