Red inflamed foreskin

Posted , 6 users are following.

A couple of days back my foreskin without warning suddenly became red, swollen and very painful. The next morning when I woke it was stinging like mad and very red and sore. Checked symptoms and it doesn't seem like balanitis as my glans looks normal. Haven't changed washing powder, shower gel or got up to anything I shouldn't have so I'm at a loss at what it could be. Seems to have settled now but whilst the swelling has gone the skin now looks dry and cracked! Aged 49 here with no medical problems.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well, an update of sorts. The good news is the inflammation has gone completely and my foreskin has almost loosened up to the way it was before which is a relief. Still itchy where it has healed up and it takes all my effort not to scratch it and make it sore again. The only downside is my glans now has red patches around the ridge which are also really itchy. My chemist says all of this is probably due to the two week course of antibiotics i've just finished. Anyone else had this problem? I just want my fully functioning penis back!

• Posted

Thanks for the update (most people never bother), and glad to hear that things seem to be clearing up.  I would have asked about antibiotics, but you said you didn't have any medical problems.  It's almost certainly the antibiotics causing the problems though, and I'd be surprised if things weren't back to normal within a few days or a week of finishing them.  If they're not, then please see a doctor.

• Posted

Yes James...thanks for the update! I hope things continue to get better for you, and you're able to function as before.

• Posted

Thanks for the nice replies guys. I didn't really connect the antibiotics with the inflammation until the chemist mentioned it. I'm surprised my glans has gone all red and blotchy nearly two weeks after I finished the course though, doesn't feel nice at all 🙁

• Posted

Hey James you should try one man oil .. I had some red area too and I was able to get it back to normal with that lotion it really helped me out with a few days
    • Posted

It's unusual to have something like this almost two weeks after the antibiotics, but I'd still expect it to clear up by itself.  Since it was quite severe, I'd still see the doctor though.  You said you had an appointment this week, so please let us know what they say.

Personally, I don't think I'd bother with any oils btw.

• Posted

Just as an update, my foreskin did return to normal after a few days. When I visited the doc for results of a blood test he verified that strong antibiotics kill all bacteria, good and bad, hence the dryness of skin and consequent redness and swelling. Annoyingly my foreskin has become sore and red (without the swelling) a couple of times since, it's like it this morning, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. :-(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.