Red inflamed foreskin

Posted , 6 users are following.

A couple of days back my foreskin without warning suddenly became red, swollen and very painful. The next morning when I woke it was stinging like mad and very red and sore. Checked symptoms and it doesn't seem like balanitis as my glans looks normal. Haven't changed washing powder, shower gel or got up to anything I shouldn't have so I'm at a loss at what it could be. Seems to have settled now but whilst the swelling has gone the skin now looks dry and cracked! Aged 49 here with no medical problems.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You can upload photos by clicking the far right of the four boxes...there's a "B" for bold ptint, an "i" for italic print, a "smiley face" for emoticons and the "upload an image" box.

• Posted

Technically, it would be balanoposthitis if it's just the foreskin, but most people call it balanitis anyway.  Even without any pics, that's probably what you've got though, and some of the links here maybe useful:

https://patient.info/search.asp?searchterm=balanoposthitis

Canesten may help, and just using water to wash down there, but if you post some pics, we'll tell you if we think you should see a doctor or not.

• Posted

(water instead of soap or shower gel and water I meant.  The same applies to women's parts down there).

• Posted

Thanks for your prompt replies. Seems I need to upload to my laptop to post the pics on here. I'll do that tomorrow, though it seems a lot better tonight!

• Posted

You can do it from a phone or tablet, but you'll probably need to choose a PC/Desktop option in your browser.

• Posted

I've taken two sets of photographs. The first I took on Tuesday when my foreskin was swollen and really sore.

• Posted

That looks a lot worse than most of these cases.  It may just fix itself, but personally, I'd see a doctor.

You could either see your GP, or if you're in the UK, you could go to a genitourinary medicine (GUM) clinic and get seen a lot sooner - google "GUM clinic near me" for details.  Take those pics with you, since it seems to have changed a lot since you took them.

If you could update this thread and tell us what the doctors say, it would be appreciated.  Good luck.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I'm booked into see the doctor next week anyway so i'll keep the photos on my phone and see what he says. (Better make sure I keep my phone locked though!)

• Posted

And this morning where as you can see the swelling has gone down now but the edge of my foreskin has began to crack and tighten up more as it heals. I hope it goes back to normal soon as it's annoying, tighter than before and itchy. The glans looks as it normally does though, it's always been blotchy and red!

• Posted

Those look a lot better.  If you hadn't posted the other pics, I wouldn't have suggested seeing a doctor.  The swelling on those was so pronounced though, that I'd get checked out even if the symptoms have competely gone by the time you actually see a doc.

That actually looks like very mild balanitis on your glans too btw.

• Posted

My glans has always been red and blotchy so I haven't really noticed any difference. But the edge of the foreskin seems to have tightened as the swelling went but hopefully it will loosen up again once the dryness and cracks get better.

• Posted

yesterday when i was showering i got soap on my urethra and i got a bad burning sensation downthere and about 3 hours later when i pee i saw a whitish sticky discharge at the top of the peinis and again later that day after i pee i saw this discharge i didnt have it since then .

do anyone think its due to the soap

• Posted

The urethra is the tube going inside your penis, so you probably got soap on your glans (the helmet-shaped part).  The discharge is probably just a symptom of the infection.  If you were getting the swelling before yesterday though, and you've always used the same soap or shower gel, then that's could be the cause, but it's not clear why it would have happened now and never before.  Just use water down there though.

(Just because you have an infection down there doesn't mean it's an STI btw.  Virgins get infections down there too. )

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.