Red mark/patch on penis head & dark brown patch on penis skin. What is it and can it be cured?

Posted , 4 users are following.

For as long as I can remember, I have had a red mark/patch on my penis head and thought it would eventually disappear. However, I am now 20 with no sign of it disappearing. I have never had sex mainly because I am insecure of this mark/patch. However, I have recently met a girl and we both want to do it but I am so worried about what she might think about it. 

The part of the skin affected has never caused any pain or irritation nor does it get worse or better which makes me all the more certain that it is here to stay sad

I have been to the doctors about it and was told it is nothing to be alarmed about and is actually quite common in uncircumcised men. I asked if it was balanitis to which i was told no because of it not causing irritation of appearing inflamed. The doctor told me it should clear up by itself.

It has been a year since that visit and yet it still remains the same size and color as ever.

I have read up it can be due to poor hygiene but i wash it thoroughly every time i have a shower and make sure i use non-perfumed shower gels as they can cause irritation. I also hear it can be related to diabetes, candida or phimosis.

I have also have slight difficulty pulling my foreskin back when my penis is fully erect. My doctor has however told me i don't need to be circumcised as i have plenty of foreskin.

Also, as you can see from the pictures, the top-left of my penis' skin has a sort of brown/black discoloration to it. This has appeared more recently (within 5 years) and seems to have grown in size. My doctor said that this is more than likely a skin pigmentation disorder particularly because I am mixed race and therefore cannot be cured.

All in all, the doctor has pretty much said nothing can be done for any of my problems which is not the answer i wanted. I feel extremely anxious/insecure at times about this stuff and i just want to get it sorted.

Can anyone advise on what these problems are and if possible, provide treatments!?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have both of your lesions and I don’t care any more about mine , cause these will never heal(permanent damage) and as your doctor said it’s no thing to worry about if there’s no pain and irritation but I only want to know if there is any pain during intercourse ( i have never had sex and I am circumcised)
    • Posted

Do you have any idea what these lesions are? Doesn't it bother you what your partner might think when they see it? Has a doctor told you it will never heal or are you just assuming?

• Posted

In Your case lesions is a type of tissue transformation from one type to another one (just like barrett's esophagus that caused by acid) ,I don’t know what is the trigger factor may be a previous exposure to drug or infection or autoimmune disease or from friction(no one know all just suggest even doctors) ,healing of these damage not possible by drug cause I’m sure your doctor doesn’t know what it is , may be pulsed dye laser or circumcision will save your sex life as you still have the foreskin that might use as flap 

• Posted

Those marks look unusual, but nothing to worry about.  I certainly wouldn't let them stop me from going further with a girl.  All penises are different, and so are all vulvas for that matter.  I don't think that red mark is common in intact men though, or even more common than in circumcised men.

You could try treating the red mark as if it's balanitis (though I'm not sure it is).  Then these links may help, though the second article is written for doctors:

https://patient.info/health/balanitis-leaflet

https://patient.info/doctor/balanitis-pro  ;

Washing (with water, no soap) daily, and taking a leak and washing after masturbation or sex will probably help, and you could also try Canesten cream or Daktarin cream.  Loose fitting cotton underwear may help, and some sites recommend washing underwear with non-biological washing powder or liquid.

(Canesten is also known as Clotrimazole, and Daktarin is also known as Miconazole or these brand names: Desenex and Zeasorb in US and Canada, Micatin, Monistat-Derm, Daktarin in India, UK, Australia, Belgium and the Philippines, Daktar in Norway, Fungidal in Bangladesh, Decocort in Malaysia.)

• Posted

I assume you meant "I do think that red mark is common in intact men though" smile

Thanks for the help on the balanitis but do you think the dark brown patches on the skin are incurable? sad

• Posted

No, I meant " I don't think that red mark is common in intact men though, or even more common than in circumcised men."  That mark is unusual, but not something you should lose sleep over.

I don't know for sure, but while I think the red mark may go away, I don't think there's much you can do about the dark brown patches.  I just wouldn't worry about them if I were you though.  There are bumps and different-coloured patches all over our bodies if you look closely enough.

There is more variation in the genitals than any other part of the body, and I really don't think you have anything to worry about.  There are lots of men who would swap theirs for yours.

• Posted

Okay I guess the dark brown patches aren’t too big of a deal as I guess a lot of people have skin discoloration but what about the red mark on the head? Do you have any guesses as to what it might be? 

This is the mark I’m most concerned about and would greatly appreciate it if you could provide some help smile

• Posted

I still think that might be balanitis, even though the doctor said otherwise.  I'd treat it as balanitis for now, and if it gets worse, or doesn't go away in a week or two, I'd see a doctor then.  It doesn't look like anything serious to me though.

• Posted

As a retired psychotherapist I diagnose your issue as entirely psychological.... Any part of the body can have pigment variation. I have a birthmark on my arm. Why would I consider it as a problem? Change your mindset. It isn't a problem to have colour variation on your penis any more than it would be anywhere else. Your girlfriend probably wouldn't care - not if she desires you and loves you, and certainly not once she knew you had it checked out. Relax. Learn to love all of yourself as you are. (Warts and all!)

• Posted

Yeah I guess a pigment variation is not considered a problem and my issue is most probably psychological but what about the red mark on the penis head? Is that a pigment variation as well or something else? 

That’s the thing I’m most concerned about and would greatly appreciate it if you could provide a treatment for it.

• Posted

We can't provide treatments on here, just peer reaction and shared experience, knowledge, sympathy and sometimes advice.

I think I've contributed all I can. Please just stop fretting about these marks. You're making a problem from nothing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.