reducing citalophram from 40mg to 20mg

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi can anyone help me out here... I've been on 40mg for a few years now and recently lowered my dose to 20mg under doctors supervision I've been on the 20mg for 4 weeks now as I'm wanting to come off these fully for the past week on 20mg I feel dead strange very tired and sort of off balance has anyone else had side effects from lowering there dose of this drug I really don't want to up my dose and if so how long do these side effect tend to last any help would be appreciated thanks in advance

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi gemma. I alm also reducing and hoping to get of these meds but I am doing it 5 mg's at a time. Cant imagine what ur going through by reducing the way ur doing. Theres a lady named Katecogs and a gentleman named Steve who post on here. They are very knowledgeable with this med. Seek one or both out for advice. Stick with ur plan and I'm sure u will be successful. Have a gr8 day!!!!

• Posted

thank you John my Dr recommended to reduce like this I did it before and ended up back on 40mg as I couldn't cope with the side effects am stock in a vicious circle all I want to do is be medication free but it's proving a very hard subject thanks for you reply I'm gonna try stick in there.

• Posted

Hi Gemma,

As per your other reply - I also reduced mine by 5mgs- I bought a tablet cutter and cut my tablets in half etc. You will have side effects as 40 - 20 is quite a big jump, I gradually reduced mine over weeks/months and kept reducing them as per the Dr until I was totally off them. I think it took me about 3 months to come from 40 - 0 it sounds like a long time - but no side effects.

Hope this helps.

Lisa

• Posted

wow well done you that's great well my doctor just said I'll put you from 40 to 20 see how you get on I have to stay on 20 for 3 month then he's going to reduce again but I feel dreadful I'm very strong willed and am doing everything in my power to stick with it and hope this horrible feeling will pass thank u for replying have a great day xx

• Posted

Just a small suggestion Gemma - it's not a bad thing if you want to go back to the Drs and ask if you can reduce it slower, even if that means going back up to 25/30 for a couple of weeks and then start to reduce weekly then. You could ask your Dr if you can't stand the side effects anymore, as they are horrible effects. See how you feel about that and possibly get an appointment with your dr - hopefully he/she is approachable and you can get appointments quite easily. Have a ponder and see what you think - will be thinking about you. Take care ?

• Posted

Hi Gemma hope you are ok I came off these cold turkey from 20mg and the effects lasted about 3 weeks.  I dont recomend doing it this way because it was hard and made me very emotional about the slightist thing, but it will pass and you should return to normal soon. good luck and stay strong.
  • Posted

Hi there Gemma

I understand completely what you're going through. I have been on 20 mg for eight years I'm now down to 6 mg and have been using a pill cutter reducing by around 3 mg every two to 3 weeks. The thing that struck me reading your post was your description of feeling dead strange off-balance feeling along with real tiredness. I recognise both of these symptoms, a strange giddiness, exhaustion, aching legs, constant headache, problems with perspective visually and also motivation issues and odd flashes of anger. From what I've read I could be avoiding some of these issues if I reduced the drug slower. That said I have decided to be gradual in the knowledge that I will be experiencing difficulties by going at the pace that I am. I found this drug debilitating. I have weight gain and an emotional distance or ambivalence to everything that I experience As the last reply said I have experienced similar time windows around three weeks per reduction. Try to exercise. It really helps. Stay aware that what you're feeling is simply down to the drug. Once this stage levels out and you feel more normal try and reduce the final 20mgs much slower. Pill cutter etc etc. It's no race and you are doing really well. Stay strong and believe in yourself. You can do this! XX

• Posted

wow you've just made my day reading this to no you match my side effects hello you 😊 everything you say is so me too. what do you do to help get through your day and do you still feel off balance with visual disturbance so glad you replied you no as I'm defiantly not alone thank u .

• Posted

Hi again Gemma. 👩🏻🙃Glad to be of help! I forgot to mention, other regular delightful side-effects include strange sweating episodes that almost feel like your skin is prickling, Nausea and low motivation/mood. I seem to be crying at everything too! I too seriously want to be medication free but I strongly recommend slowing down the final 10 mg more gently. I wonder if you experienced any of these other effects I have described?

• Posted

Hi Mel,

Have just read your post above and am really interested in what you have written. I have been on 20mg of Citalopram for 6 weeks now and have really been struggling to get used them. I feel emotionless and completely disconnected with normal life. So much so, that I'm questioning the point of me being on them. Does this resonate with your experience? I'm 24 years old and have read that these types of drugs sometimes don't agree with younger people, but have also read it can take up to 8 weeks for them to kick in properly.

Regards

Tom

• Posted

Hello, I feel the same as you but I went up from 20 mg to 30mg. I was on 20mg for 3 months and I have been on 30mg for 1 month. My head feels so strange most of the days. I feel off balance and my eyes sometimes take a bit to adjust when the light changes in a room or environment. I also sweat from time to time out of nowhere. It can be very frustrating.
    • Posted

Hello Tom 🛤

well done for getting through the first six weeks - that's the tough bit done. Why were you prescribed citalopram? Was it for depression or anxiety? I ask this in view of the fact you mention feeling disconnected. It definitely does decrease feeling. This can be a relief if you are experiencing extreme panic,anxiety or depression. For me, the long term the decrease in feeling lead to a different sort of depression. I think the doctor is left me on it for too long. I am now down to around 7 mg and the renewed feelings are complex and often difficult. I am willing to accept these experiences instead of continuing to exist in the flat grey life I was living.

Bear in mind that you will adjust over time .... you have to decide if that method of coping is for the long term or to help you through a difficult time... good luck, I hope this is of some help!!

• Posted

Thanks for getting back to me Mel. I'm taking them for both anxiety and depression, but like you have found that the decrease in all other feelings has made me experience a different kind of depression. I've tried cutting my dosage down to 15mg today, but have really struggled to even do routine tasks. Have you got any advice you can give me based on your own experience?

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom. I'm in the middle of cutting down and yes it's hard going. I'm struggling to do anything too. Saying that I think a 3-5 week window is what it takes for your body to adjust to the new level. I'm just trying to hold on tight and stick to my guns. I'm wondering if you need to give 20 a bit longer to settle though. Thing is it's a long way on to citalopram and a long way off them. You've really only just arrived. If you are sure you could do the 15 but personally I would do 17.5 for 3 - 4 weeks and then 15... it should make it an easier transition..... I hope you are okay...

Mel

• Posted

ahhhha made my day with these replies thank you so much for making me feel I'm not alone in this situation 😊 I'm taking each day as it comes but find myself thinking there's something else up with me and it's not the reduced Meds as how can reducing a drug possibly make you feel so strange I'm into my 5th week on 20mg from 40mg and I think my brain is recognising the reduced dose the effects don't seem to be getting any worse there staying the same so I pray and pray this will pass soon my brain feels so wobbly n slightly off balance it's horrid but with support from beautiful people like yourself it gives me all the hope so thank you for taking time to reply to me and good luck on your journey everyone it's not easy 😎 xx

• Posted

Hi Gemma,

You really sound like you are on the right road - and you definitely have the strenght. Always remember you have loads of people here who have been through the same who can always help and share our experiences. Take care Gemma and continue to be strong and you will be fine! 😊😊

Lisa

• Posted

thank you Lisa I hope so as I really don't want to fall back again I just want to be medication free and feeling normal if that's possible ha thanks for replying

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.