reducing citalophram from 40mg to 20mg

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi can anyone help me out here... I've been on 40mg for a few years now and recently lowered my dose to 20mg under doctors supervision I've been on the 20mg for 4 weeks now as I'm wanting to come off these fully for the past week on 20mg I feel dead strange very tired and sort of off balance has anyone else had side effects from lowering there dose of this drug I really don't want to up my dose and if so how long do these side effect tend to last any help would be appreciated thanks in advance

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

well my doctors rang me today everything I described in my last post are side effects from lowering my Meds he told me it will get better I just got hang in there if it does get to bad I need to up my dose a bit fingers crossed I can crack this I'm trying to keep my mind busy everyday it's really hard but I must do this panic attacks will never kill me so I shouldn't live in fear and need these tablets to stop them let nature take its cause be strong and go with it good luck in life everybody xx

• Posted

Hi Gemma! This is completely normal, in both directions. My experience with Citalopram.. I was on 20 mg for about 6 years and felt amazing. Did well in college during this time and etc.. after college, once I had a stable job, I decided I wanted to try and come off. I made it to about 12.5 mg and started feeling anxious which is a side effect of coming off too fast and I also started working night shift at this time which I believe threw my body off. I ended up having to go back to 15 mg. Then had sort of a break down possibly due to situational factors and the doctor bumped me up to 30 mg. Then started having major anxiety probably due to hormonal issues I've always had (PMDD) and working night shift. The doctor ended up bumping me up to 40 mg and it has taken me about 4 weeks on this to finally feel normal.

I was having the exhaustion, slow cognitive function, and moderate mood swings.

Hoping you are doing well now!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.