Reducing on Citalopram 20mg to 10mg

Posted , 18 users are following.

I thought I would start a new discussion to share experiences of reducing on Citaploram,I was put on them after a relationship break up and put on a repeat prescription which I just didn't stop,so this summer I want my feelings back instead of numbness. I have been on 20mg for the last 4 years and tried to stop before but felt terrible, this attempt so far is sort of going ok, I have done 20mg - 10mg every other day for 2 months and now and been great , for the last 3 days I have been on 10mg which I plan to do for 2 months before reducing again.The doctor basically said I can come off them at my own speed, I want to make it as easy as possible.

For the last 2 days I have noticed I have alot more energy on the positive side , but also like a angry energy which is a bit scary, soi far managed to recognise this is withdrawal and be careful not to snap. I aslo feel some anxiery creeping in and wake up in the night for an hour or so, my thinking is foggy, I would liken it to gving up smoking except not as hard at all, so far some people have said they have nopticed a change in me, Im more edgy, I would say im reasonably happy overall though and want to continue and see if this levels out. Be good if anyone else wants to share their experience, will update to see how it goes,thanks smileRIch.

1 like, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My psychologist has always said to me that some ssri/snri work differently for each patient. BUT, in saying that he has also said to me that continuous psychotherapy is also vital in controlling mental health (I am not paying for my psychologist, it's government funded so I have no reason to believe he's trying to get financial gain from me).

Like a broken bone, medication is just a cast for a healing brain. There's other aspects and exercises that are necessary to get to the best recovery state you can. Please don't rely purely on medication. All the best everyone.

• Posted

My psychologist has always said to me that some ssri/snri work differently for each patient. BUT, in saying that he has also said to me that continuous psychotherapy is also vital in controlling mental health (I am not paying for my psychologist, it's government funded so I have no reason to believe he's trying to get financial gain from me).

Like a broken bone, medication is just a cast for a healing brain. There's other aspects and exercises that are necessary to get to the best recovery state you can. Please don't rely purely on medication. All the best everyone.

• Posted

• Posted

hi jay that is very true dont think meds answer sometimes is for some im taking 5htp dont known if helping or i be better without taking it psychologically any good i something never tryed find eating healthy and exciting really good

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.