Reducing on Citalopram 20mg to 10mg

Posted , 18 users are following.

I thought I would start a new discussion to share experiences of reducing on Citaploram,I was put on them after a relationship break up and put on a repeat prescription which I just didn't stop,so this summer I want my feelings back instead of numbness. I have been on 20mg for the last 4 years and tried to stop before but felt terrible, this attempt so far is sort of going ok, I have done 20mg - 10mg every other day for 2 months and now and been great , for the last 3 days I have been on 10mg which I plan to do for 2 months before reducing again.The doctor basically said I can come off them at my own speed, I want to make it as easy as possible.

For the last 2 days I have noticed I have alot more energy on the positive side , but also like a angry energy which is a bit scary, soi far managed to recognise this is withdrawal and be careful not to snap. I aslo feel some anxiery creeping in and wake up in the night for an hour or so, my thinking is foggy, I would liken it to gving up smoking except not as hard at all, so far some people have said they have nopticed a change in me, Im more edgy, I would say im reasonably happy overall though and want to continue and see if this levels out. Be good if anyone else wants to share their experience, will update to see how it goes,thanks smileRIch.

1 like, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi.  I am seeking a few answers for a friend of mine who has been on 20mg Citalopram for 2/3 months, I think.  I am supporting him in his crisis, let's say, which has been ongoing for 7 years, but maybe only recently started to catch up with him as a PTSD.  It is impossible to predict how he will feel when he wakes up each morning.  He has lots of ideas for moving forward, and has a very definite project in mind, but even though this project is very close to his heart, and we have discussed it for the last few days, today he has woken up with that awful suicidal hopeless feeling.  He is a VERY strong character - and goodness only knows how he has kept going this long - but I am wondering whether being on 20mg now is too high a dose now as he certainly seems to have "come a long way out of himself" in the last 6 weeks or so that I have known him.  Could it be that the Citalopram is dominating and that less would get him closer to the feelings he wants to have and that he had yesterday and the day before?

• Posted

Hi Lesley,

Iv been on and off this medication for a few years now and has been great if he’s only on 20 mg that’s not a strong dose I wouldn’t suggest coming off so soon it takes at least 6 months to regulate the serotonin get him to try CBD  to it will help too x 

Good luck 😉 

• Posted

Thank you Karen.  Funnily enough an article and video about CBD Oil came up on my feed today, so I have passed it on to him.  Are you suggesting CBD oil as well as the SSRI?  Presumably the serotonin value in CBD is the main focus?  How gradually would you introduce the CBD oil?

Your comments are much appreciated.

• Posted

I’m still on 10mg of citalopram and take 5 drops of oil every morning and again at 4ish the higher strength is better as you need less I’m on a 500 strength atm but will increase wherever he buys from they will give him a guide on dosage to, good luck I’m happy to help if I can x 
    • Posted

Hi Karen.

My friend halved his dose from 20mg to 10mg about 3 days ago.  It is early days yet, but was wondering what sort of side effects you experienced when you reduced.  And what would you have welcomed a friend doing for you to help you through?

As to CBD oil, no doubt one would have to be very sure of the quality of the product.

• Posted

Hi just a bit snappy and emotional but that only lasts a week or so , as a friend I would just be there to listen when he feeling emotional and when he’s uptight or snappy a hug goes a long way 😁

• Posted

Great post! Its that type of support that helps me get through it.
  • Posted

Hi Rich2410A

I am very interested in your story, as I am supporting someone who is wanting to [eventually] escape the grasp of these drugs.  He has very recently halved his dosage from 20mg to 10mg having been on them for 2/3 months.  It is early days, but I was wondering how you dealt with the withdrawal symptoms.  What would you have wanted a friend/relative to do for you during that time.............and what is the worst, irritating kind of attention a friend/relative could give.........in your opinion.

what is your situation now with regards to how you are feeling and coping?

• Posted

Hi to be honest no really bad symptoms a bit snappy and teary but nothing to much if his symptoms are worse there could be more going on so I would get him to speak to a naturopath if it worsens, for me someone to just say are you ok is enough x

Also sleep teas lavender in a burner is a great aid to 😊

• Posted

Hi Lesley am so happy he is being supported. I am tapering at the moment, before each taper I warn my close friends that I am not going to be myself, and to not worry if I disappear from life for a bit, or refuse invitations. I also warn my family to not worry if I am tearful and tetchy, or spend alot of time in bed. I try to stop them worrying or take anything personal. My mantra to them, is have a good month, see you on the other side. To help your friend try not to take his moods personally understand he is suffering and can see you do, and keep reminding him how good he will feel once everything settles. Keep in mind it can take time. I have been signed off work as tapering spikes my blood pressure if i taper too quickly too soon which stupidly I did as underestimated these. Slow taper by small amounts is better.
  • Posted

Hi Rich, I get edgy when tapering too, to the point I worry that I have bi polar. Sounds like normal withdrawal symptoms to me, it does take time to settle and a slow taper is ideal to give yourself time to settle. Thats what helps me plus taking magnesium that helps with sleep and relaxing me.
  • Edited

hi just new tp this iv been citalopram for 10weeks started at 10mg for 3 weeks then 20mg 7weeks im felt numb like have no feelings my head like brain fog cant get out my bed so iv just starting on lower dose 10mg 3 days go see that help dont no if i should come off them

• Edited

i have been on cit for almost 7 weeks and i am on 20 mg wondering if i should lower my dose to 10 mg cause i am so not feeling good very nauseated and feel horrible still.

• Posted

hi im not sure as only been 4th day drop down on 10mg little bit light headed wee bit of anxiety not much except from that been ok i just couldnt handle 20mg making eye pupils large and very tired still a. just now difficult get out of bed and this is 10 weeks going on 11th tomorrow so hopefully feel bit better on 10mg

• Posted

Hi everyone. hope you are all doing good. I have been on antidepressants for 23years. seroxat, and last 15 or so years citalopram 20mg. 3weeks ago i decided i wanted to try coming off any medication so my dose has been reduced to 10mg. the last couple of days i have been feeling as if i have just got over an upset tummy. bit of nausea on and of. tummy feels bit tender, and keep feeling hot. it is worse in mornings and by afternnon it settles. my mood is ok. wondering if it could be a bit if withdrawel after all these years. not sure once off whether to try a natural remedy. any suggestions from your own experience? thank you

• Posted

hi was wondering can 10mg citalopram help depression or have to be 20mg as like stay on them for many year like ypu just wpunder what was your experience on them for 15 years iv only been taking them for 10 weeks now

• Posted

hi joanne75638 I have always been on 20mg but a friend of mine has just been put on them for anxiety and her gp has started her on 5mg. I would say if after the 10weeks you feel some improvement give it a while longer, if not, go back to your gp. i have been fine on 20mg, which i am back on as i started to feel myself needing it.. . . good luck, you will soon start to feel better. x

• Posted

hi 3es thank you for reply im still on 10mg made appointment to see gp on Monday do you no how long side effects last once change dose i was on 20 mg for 7 weeks now change 10mg on my 8th day wounder when side effects go away how long did take you to recover on cilpram did take 3 months how did make you feel once start to work thanks j x

• Posted

Hi. If you have only been on them for 7 weeks at 20mg, had they improved your mood? would of thought that it is rather soon to lower the dosage. I have gone back to 20mg as i am not sure if I did it too drastically. i am stayong on 20 for 3months then 15 for 3months then 10 for 3months then 5 for 3months then nothing. if i start to feel worse i will stay on 20mg for the rest of my life. just need to see if i can function without. Hope you get it sorted out on Monday. would be interested how you get on. xx Pam

• Posted

hi pam been on meds for 11 weeks 4 weeks on 10mg not feeling good today after drop from 20mg to 10mg 8 days go feel sick bit pale when do side effects last after reducing med is it 2 weeks ill definitely let you known how get on at docters hun x

• Posted

ps they haven't improved my mood to feel cant talk ok trying to message but cant talk like have bad brain fog dont no cause tables been like that since November docter just said it depression cant be deep down think its meds really worry my mind blank really bad dose this happen on meds how long did they start work for you at beginning say can take 3 months to 6 till stat working x

• Posted

when i went on them at the very start of my depression it took 3 to 4 weeks to feel an improvement. but a good few months to feel good again. i have also had a lot of therapy to understand my feelings. as i said, i tried to drop from 20 to 10 but after 3 weeks felt so horrible. shaky, hot flushes, nauseas i decided to go back to 20mg. that was 3 days ago and almost back to normal. i dont seem to have depression any ore, but anxious and worry about things. i have health anxiety. i worry every sympton, ache or pain is cancer. . . . it is such a waste of life being miserable all the time. . . . Hope you get there in the end. always here if you want to chat. it is good to know you are not alone and get some reassurance from someone. xx

• Posted

hi pam not fair we have to live with this really cruel im really glad your feeling better back on 20mg think you should maybe stay on that even have to all your live if its helping hope things get better they have to im just fed up feel numb now and still feel numb not feeling any feelings so horrible sweating lot at night dont known if its maybe the tables i really do wont to stick to the 10mg i just need to make up my mind to stick with them or not how do they actually make feel pam when they start to work would be really lovely to keep chatting to you im always here to for support xx

• Posted

Thanks Joanne, Depression is awful. That feeling of numbness, a feeling of deadness inside. no enthusiasm at all. . . it does lift. I dont understand why your gp lowered your dose only after 7 weeks. that wasnt long enough to lift you out of your low mood. Good for you if you can persivere. i couldnt, so back to 20mg. Good luck and we must stay intouch and see how we go. . . Have a good week. xx

• Posted

hi pam how are you it was me that decided to drop down to 10mg as found 20mg to much so sleepy was at docters yesterday and she as how was getting on told her been 11 weeks on meds and in the last 12days drop down to 10mg as feel confeess and numb no feelings my eye pupils were large on 20mg and she said ask me do you wont come off them i said yes she ok take 10mg every second day over 4 days then stop im gutted tho as iv came this far i ask her can people get better on the 10g she said yes some people do but mostly on 20mg so im in to minds what to do cant handle this feeling not being conectted to my feelings hope your doing well pam having nice week x

• Posted

Hi Joanne, funny you should say about pupils enlarged. my friend is always saying my pupils are large. i had no idea it was the tablets. i am no Dr, but i still think you didnt take 20mg long enough. you need to take it long enough to feel better. then slowly wean down to 10. i can only speak on my experience. hope you get sorted soon. Take care joanne. speak next week to see how its going. xx

• Posted

hi pam iv decided come off 10mg i cant handle being so space out on them feel so numb even my boyfriend fed up stays like living with a ghost as cant talk my head just blank i think tables made me worst so iv decided come off cold turkey hope side effects not going be bad as iv been getting sore belly after doping to 10mg my head felt bit dizzy i couldn't stay on them hun as i felt no emotions wasnt for that would have stuck them out though 3 months on them id be better but nope hope your doing well lots hugs joanne x

• Posted

oh no!!!!! hope you get yourself sorted soon. . . . would you not consider going back to 20mg. i am a bit concerned that the numbness and cant think staight could be just plain depression and until you are on the right dosage it wont lift. hope i am wrong, . . i definatley feel much better back on 20mg. but what suits one doesnt always work for everyone. Good luck Joanne. wish you all the best. xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.