Reflux

Posted , 15 users are following.

I've been suffering from reflux for the last month. The doctor put me on RAnitidine and OMeprasol but these aren't working. The reflux gets worse and for longer periods because my ordophagus is so sore. I've been back to the doctor ( seen two, in fact) but he doesn't want to change the medication. I was in such pain on holiday we had to call a doctor and she couldn't think of anything else. Last week I  had heartburn for nearly two days, had to sit up for two nights and all the doc said was to take co codamol! I have cut out all possible triggers and surviving on porridge, sandwiches and ice cream because I am terrified of the heartburn returning, but still feel pain from my oesophagus . Can anyone help please?

3 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello hilary07569 sorry to hear about your condition..

I was also told i had acid reflux i was told not to eat spicey or oily foods.. I also got those medications you received and different types as well.. you are right it doesnt help i have been to the doctors So much o think they maybe tired of seeing me.. they said mines caused because the foods not going where it suppose to do So thats why i am filled with trap winds which causes the pain.. o did my own research and see that something can do about it than taking meds that does not work.

• Posted

I can sympathize completely with you. Ive been suffering for 8 months now and am on Omeprazole, ranitidine and Sucralfate(an unlicensed drug). I changed the foods that i eat and still suffer badly. The concoction of drugs have helped although you do need to give them a good 2-3 months i would say to really get them into your system. I am of the opinion that mine is hormone related because i have bad endemetriosis on my bowel so never know whether my pain is due to that or my hiatus hernia that showed up when i had an endoscopy. Try to give the pills longer to work or even ask your doctor for Sucralfate (another name for them is Antepsin) and i hope you soon get some relief. At the height of my pain i couldnt even swallow water without being in agony but that has eased. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi Hilary 

if it's worse stop taking them go back to doctor or if not happy change your doctor read drug paperwork it will proberly tell you this try going to a pharmacist for advise .

other things you could try are pinenut oil gels eat a apple when acid starts this gives acid something to do other than burn you don't do ice cream dairy  prods make it worse licorice is good  hope you improve soon .

regards Trev.

• Posted

So no milk or yoghurt? Think i saw somewhere else that yoghurt was good for reflux. Its so confusing! Seeing gastroenterologist tomorrow, hope he can help.
    • Posted

Natural fat free yoghurt is good others with additives and citric fruits not so good
    • Posted

I'm sure you could eat fruit yogurts, just not ones with citrus fruits in.
  • Posted

Oh do not take any asprin or ibuprofen. Really bad idea 

you need to get a endosopy ( camra down throat) to see what's going on throwing tablets at you is not the way ask for this treatment try not to worry it only adds to the acid 

• Posted

Acidophilus, probiotic, :-someone found relief after 7 years.

H.C.I, 'With pepsin' :-someone found relief after 20 years.

Milk Thistle complex tablets or tincture.

Ingredients:

Contains the tinctures of fresh Cynara scolymus* (Artichoke) leaves 46%, Silybum marianum (Milk Thistle) dried fruit 32%, fresh Taraxacum officinalis* (Dandelion) herb and root 12%, Peumus boldus (Boldo) dried leaf 7% and fresh Mentha piperita* (Peppermint) leaves 3%.

-Alcohol content: 62% v/v in tincture

* Organically grown.

- I took Milk thistle complex tablets, mostly one a day for three days at a time, as this worked for weeks, then months of relief for me after 5 years of stomach problems and Gerd. I haven't needed them for years. But took the odd left over pill after social drinking. I originally got mine from a local Super drug store but they don't stock the same one now. Saying that after about four years of not taking them I am feeling a bit acidly 

• Posted

Meant to say 'acidy'. Might try taking them - Milk Thistle Complex -again if it gets any worse. But I still drink socially. (might have to stop or cut down) But try to eat healthily.
    • Posted

Gillian I am going through a bad flare up of Throatburn. Started milk thistle  4 days ago but only difference so far is brain fog lifting. I also bought the complex version and the liquid. Do you think I should start the complex one now? Sorry for all the questions just cant get help in Australia on natural remedies. As I understand it MT is a liver cleanser???
    • Posted

I definitely think the complex version is more effective. MT is known as a liver cleanser. I think the others ingredients in the complex version do too. I now wonder if the state of the liver is connected as it worked so well on the reflux for me. Maybe it has a detox effect and balances the stomach acid?  If you do  find it helps. There should be information on alternative remedies online if you search. Or try typing the individual ingredients and their effects or uses. Good luck.
    • Posted

The gallbladder is a small storage organ located inferior and posterior to the liver. Though small in size, the gallbladder plays an important role in our digestion of food. The gallbladder holds bile produced in the liver until it is needed for digesting fatty foods in the duodenum of the small intestine. Bile in the gallbladder may crystallize and form gallstones.

This might be why the Milk Thistle Complex worked.

• Posted

You could try the Dropping Acid diet to calm down your throat. Not that hard to follow. Lass seems to be a world expert (Jamie Kaufman). Use some of her ideas.
  • Posted

Riccardo is correct,diet is the answer and also Chamomile tea.No wheat,no dairy,no red meats and no acidic fruits.Bananas and melons are the best.I use almond milk,fish,veges and non acidic fruits,rice cakes plus lots of chamomile tea.Tablets made me worse so I just do this diet now.If you follow it,you should be better in a few weeks.I am 65

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.