Reflux and antidepressants

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all I have had silent reflux for a few years take lansoprozle I get pains in my left side of chest and arm pain as well as nausea and throat troubles because the pain is heart attack like it's lead me to have panic attacks the doctor prescribed sertraline but I've had severe reaction to it so today is my last day on it only took 3 tonight however I have the worst chest and arm pain ever I haven't been eating anything as the pills make me sick but I have drunk some slim fast shakes as these have vitamins in I was wondering if anyone else had this before ? I honestly can't take this pain it's horrendous and scaring the life out of me

Thanks

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I've suffered from severe acid reflux for

Years now, the pain at times is unbelievable

I have been prescribed esomprazole 60 mg and ranitidine 300 mg I take gavison

Throughout the day.I have ended up in a

A and E a few times as the pain I had

Was so bad I thought I was having a heart

Attack.

Have you thought about surgery for your

Reflux. I am looking into having surgery

As I can not see any other way forward.

Panic attacks are a very scary feeling(

Suffered in the past).

I have have visited a hypnotist to help

Overcoming panic attacks and nerves and this really helped me

Hope your feeling better soon

• Posted

Thank u for the reply

I'm the same been a&e few times the pain is so bad I've taken another lansoprozle and am hoping it passes quickly it's frustrating that the reflux causes heart attack symptoms I mean why down the arm rolleyes thanks for the tip on hypnotherapy I've booked in for Monday as I'm running out of options here and I think surgery is my next step I can't continue like this it's too much

Thank u so much for your help

• Posted

After years of it I just accept that it is mimicing cardiac sypmtoms and get on with life. As I said in another post I once flew to America when feeling like that. The airline food did not improve it either:-) Strange but I usually feel better after having mashed potatoes!
    • Posted

Thanks for replying

I hope that I can get to that stage soon where my mind stops screaming heart attack

I am yet to find anything that helps but I guess trial and error it's frustrating that even not eating can cause this a no win situation rolleyes

• Posted

Me has suffered this too. Its the only time I got a dr out in the middle of the night and he said I had all the symptoms of a heart attack but it wasn't, just the reflux.

The first thing to do is not to panic because that is making your condition much worse. Simply say ' oh its the reflux again'.

I find that if I go long periods without eating I get very severe pains. Have you tried taking gaviscon. I also find that ice cream helps soothe. Watch what clothing you are wearing tight clothes are a no no.

What PPI are you taking and how much is the dose. I need 30mg of Lanzoprosole and sometimes 45 if I am having a bad day.

• Posted

Hi thanks for replying

I take 30mg lansoprazole 60mg if it gets bad

I've jus drank lots of gaviscon so I'm hoping it will settle

I'm trying hard not to panic although this is the worse it's ever been rolleyes

• Posted

Have you had one before, not too bad

I just try and stay calm throughout as I panic a bit before and just as they

Start the procedure. I ask the nurse to

Reassure me throughout . You can

Ask for sedation but you cant drive

Afterwards and someone has to go

With you.

Hopefully they will have some answers

For you. Its a quick procedure mine

Took about 10 minutes

• Posted

I had one 3 years ago I hated it I pulled the doctors tie I was so bad lol but I'm going to do it as I need answers

Thank u for all your replies you've been wonderful helped me realise it's jus a attack and it should pass soon x

• Posted

Thank you so much this site has been a life saver and I really appreciate your advice and kind words thank you x
    • Posted

Ask for sedation, it makes everyone jobs easier and stops you worrying. So you can't drive home is that really a problem. I am on my own and asked my neighbour to collect me, previously a friend took me home. The sedation wears off very quickly and not being able to drive is simply a safety measure.  My view is that if I am causing a problem then the dr may miss something as they are worried about you.
    • Posted

I agree I'm alone but could ask someone and it is silly to get worked up I will behave this time
    • Posted

Take someone with you. Its easy to say you will behave and then something happens and you lose it.  With sedation you have nothing to worry about as you know absolutely nothing about it
    • Posted

hi...thought I should let you know to be aware that too much Gaviscon can cause Constipation, so be alert for same..  Gaviscon also contains Mercury, which is also a reason not to take too much....take some stool softner for this side affect??   but perhaps if Reflux that bad, maybe more GERD medications maybe on the menu....make sure to let your doc know...Bron
    • Posted

Thanks Hun will do

Jus a quick question to everyone how long should the pains last ? I've taken meds an gaviscon it's been about a few hours no let up ?

• Posted

Me back in reply to the above....when are you taking your Gaviscon?  The regime I used with my patients, was take 10 mls of Mylanta prior to eating (to soothe the lining from any previous ulceration/soreness), and then the recommended dosage of Gaviscon with/after food intake...the role of the Gaviscon is to "float" on top of the food, near sphincter, to stop the reflux of acids....have you tried this one.  Another way of determining the difference between cardiac and Gastric reflux is to try Mylanta when pain is there, and if nothing better after 20mls of Mylanta, then have same checked out, for too many people are told/convinced that they are having Reflux, when in fact it can be a Silent Infarct (cardiac pain)....not trying to worry anyone, just pre-cautionary....Bron
    • Posted

I generally take gaviscon after meals

But I haven't eaten today so I took some a hour ago when the pain struck it's eased a bit now still niggling but propping myself up and hoping I sleep soon the arm pain is annoying the fact it burns like acid is in there strange feeling also got gurgling tummy and dry mouth super start to the day lol

Thanks for the advice if it don't let up in a hour I will call for medical advice

• Posted

Even on the meds I have to eat regularly otherwise I find its makes the pain appear. The meds mean I can go a lot longer before I feel discomfort. Have you thought about eat little but often, sensible fooods of course
    • Posted

That was always the advice to ulcer sufferers in time gone bye.

• Posted

Hi, in response to the above, you should still try to eat, even smaller meals, and more often, as the gastric juices are always there in some amount, and may cause a Gastric Ulcer (the juices will try to digest/break down something), so try putting something in there for them to do their job on??  Bron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.