Reflux hell

Posted , 10 users are following.

My pain is so bad and non stop that I can't relate it to food. Ranitidine no longer working and rebeprazole only worked for a while. Can't sleep at night, have to sit up on sofa. Not overweight, never smoked, was very fit and healthy until this started. Asked Consultant about surgery and he said not at my age!!! I am so depressed that I can't cope and really can't go on any more. Do painkillers help?

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes painkillers help but not Advil Aspirin or

aleve u need like Vicodin something with

Acetaminophen (which is Tylenol and hydrocodone) Things like Celebrex have

aspirin in them. Try the baking soda and

warm water occasionally. Chewing gum really works (sugar free)

• Posted

I don't know how many apples ur eating

but if it a lot cut back on them. They can

be tough on your digestion. Try apple sauce instead. The skin of am apple

is where most of the fiber is but will cause

reflux hell at night

• Posted

Hilary do not lay down right after u eat

stay up or get the head of your bed up

gravity is everything

• Posted

I put up with reflux for years, sitting up most of the nights.

in the end I had surgery in February this year, NO More reflux, wonderful just cross with myself and doctors that I didn't have it done sooner.

hope you find a answer soon.

• Posted

Hi could I ask what the name of the

Surgery you had was and how long it

Took you to recover

• Posted

The surgery is called Nissen fundoplication. It is also known as the

Wrap.

• Posted

Thanks can I ask how you found the

Surgery and how long it took u to

Recover. I have been told to consider this surgery but the surgeon said u

Can not burp or be sick so I'm

Not sure if it would be the best

Decision? I would really appreciate

Your experience

• Posted

Hi Hilary I have suffered from acid reflux since last year I have had scans chest X-Rays all came back normal been on different meds for this Dr give me lanzopopal then took this for about 4 weeks no change so Dr give ranitidine and reberprazol still no change I take gavaison as well I have put blocks under my bed this helps some nights more than others I was told by my dr to element some foods like all tomato base foods cititurs foods like oranges peppermint chocolate greased foods like chips and fired foods so I did this started to eat plain foods like fish baked in oven jacket potato salads but no tomatoes you can still peaches apples pears and I eat all veg I eat quite a bit off chicken but hold the off the sauces I eat rice I eat about 2 to 3 hours before bed and now I still have problems with Curtine foods can't eat greasy foods or chocolate but each week innerjuice one food back in your diet and it may help you hope this has helped
    • Posted

Julie does the rice bother you. I can't eat rice because it can get stuck

some of the rice either doesn't

get soft enough after cooking.

Sometimes I have to force myself

to throw up cause it gets stuck

in my throat.

• Posted

I don't want to be too simplistic, and my problem is nowhere near as severe as yours, but... in the odd case where I get pain, I have (on and off for many years) prepared a glass of dilute baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) solution in cool water and drunk it slowly (ie over a period of 5 minutes).  My wife has done the same. I find it almost always works with just one glass; it works when things like Tums are useless. If it works, or not, please advise, good luck. 

Reg H

• Posted

Great advice I told her to do that yesterday. Upu have to be careful not drink 2 much baking soda and actually warm water works great but baking soda has a lot if salt so u have to be careful not to do this very often but it is great to relieve instant burning in the chest from acid reflux

just don't do any carbonated drinks that is why warm water is best with baking soda.

• Posted

I tried this and it made things worse! I don't think Ranitidine or rabepresole are working. I have been eating only veg, fish and chicken , no dairy, no wheat, then yesterday a banana set it off again and now nothing I do will stop it. Also feel exhausted from all the medication. Going to a dietician this afternoon, to see if she can help.
    • Posted

Hilary call your dr. If u saw a GI physician then he or she needs

to know how bad you are feeling

That u can't stand it. Have you done

the other stuff head up on blocks

etc.

• Posted

Hilary

If it gets that bad and you can not

get into your physician then go

to the emergency room. You might

need something for the pain.

• Posted

Scared to try the things people suggest, after the baking soda fiasco! Haven't put bed on blocks because so far I have been ok at night. I saw a GI Consultant and he put me back on Ranitidine and then I saw the GP last week, broke down in tears so she has put me on Rabepresole. Both work for a while then stop so I am trying the diet method. Seeing dietician this afternoon and a counsellor on Thursday for the panic attacks and depression I am now experiencing. Don't know what more I can do. Supposed to go back to doc. In a week.
    • Posted

If you go to the emergency room and TELL them you are having chest

pain that the GI meds do not help and it is severe they will probably see you immediately. Telll them the pain

is a 10 on a scale from 1 to 10 or if worse say 12. I am sorry ur in so

much discomfort

• Posted

Did u. get an endoscopy (EGD).

What did it show.? If u don't want to

go to the emergency room then

call the dr again and tell him

it is unbearable. Ask him to do

something tell him what you have

tried to do.?I suggested the emergency room because if ur

having chest pain. they have. to treat u immediately to make sure it isn't

your heart. If it is your nerves then

u have to. do. breathing exercises

meditation someway to relax. If the pain travels down your arm then it could be cardiac but. call the dr there are some meds they can give you to coat the esophagus like Carafate. I would calm

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.