Reflux hell

Posted , 10 users are following.

My pain is so bad and non stop that I can't relate it to food. Ranitidine no longer working and rebeprazole only worked for a while. Can't sleep at night, have to sit up on sofa. Not overweight, never smoked, was very fit and healthy until this started. Asked Consultant about surgery and he said not at my age!!! I am so depressed that I can't cope and really can't go on any more. Do painkillers help?

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I have suffered for 9 years. I take 40mg esomeprazole and 300mg ranitidine, that was until a week ago I got myself some milk thistle from the health shop, all good supermarkets sell it as do chemists. I am the most anti herbal drugs possible as I don't believe they work. but 2 tablets in the morning and 2 in the evening and within 3 days all pain in back, chest, stomach gone. I am now on 20mfg esomeprazole and 150mg ranitidine, yesterday I forgot the ranitidine, but did need it today, so medication halved with milk thistle and no pain. I did try DGL but nothing happened and have tried gaviscon without success. It may not work for you but it did for me. Not expensive give it a go.
  • Posted

My last post went to moderator, not sure why, but try milk thistle after 9 years of hell, started over a week and it really works, all pain gone, medication halved. You can get it anywhere. Hope my longer post pops up soon
  • Posted

Me again just read your last post, bananas sometimes do that to me, and the weekend before last spent 5 hours in A&E convinced I was having a heart attack, pain in chest, neck, hot/cold and numb left arm, nothing showed in blood test, no heart attack just GERD. started milk thistle next day pain gone within 3 days. Having felt this good for ages. might work for you, might not. DGL works for some but not me.
  • Posted

I'm very concerned about you Hilary.  How are you feeling now?  It looks like you have taken many different drugs for you reflux.  I know with my experience that when I took my acid blocker capsule, I felt like the drug itself was burning my stomach.  I think the capsules or pills can disolve near the stomach lining and cause a chemical burn.  If a capsule were to get stuck in the esophagus, it would cause a burn there also.  You may have accumulated some of these sore spots, and they can cause the same symptoms as the acid reflux.  If you take any pills or capsules, make sure you have some food in your stomach to buffer it.  And drink a full glass of water with each medication.  Don't take any medication right before bed as they could settle into one spot in the stomach.  Do you have any new information from your GI doctor? 
    • Posted

Jonathan

I am trying to get Hilary to put the head of her bed on blocks so

she isn't flat. Even if u can sleep

flat the acid can still do damage.

I haven't spoken to her I suggested

her go to the emergency too. since

she says she is in misery. She needs

diffetent meds like Protonix(PPI) and Carafate which isn't a PPI. Carafate

is a large pill but if dissolves and coats the esophagus I hope she is doing ok Thanks

• Posted

Perhaps she did do that and could be in the hospital.  Hopefully, she can find a doctor that can help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.