Regrets TKR

Posted , 14 users are following.

Does anyone regrets doing their TKR I'm 7wks post op. I've overcome all the pain something I thought I would never get past but I did. I just thought I would feel better everyone I talked to who ever had the surgery said they feel so much better. It makes me not even want to do my right knee. Again people say this knee may be better n not so bad. I'm only 51 I don't want to feel like a little old lady that can't walk right. I'm due to go back to work next month I'm still walking with a cane.

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

try not to be too hard on yourself 7 weeks is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I think we are all guilty at times  of forgetting we have had major surgery,try and be kind to yourself. I will be very pleased if I am walking with one stick at 7 weeks ! best wishes

• Posted

I'm 57 and had my TKR in October 2014 and on many occasions I did wonder why I'd had the operation, but now I can walk for long periods of time, whereas prior to the operation I could walk for ten minutes max and then spent hours in agony! It's taken a while but life is improving and to be honest if I hadn't had this TKR I'd have ended up on a mobility scooter with many other health problems due to not being able to exercise, so despite the long haul I'm glad that I had the operation and I hope that you will too a few months on. Take care.
  • Posted

I did regret it in the first few weeks and that's how I came to find this site because I felt so down about it all and so so disappointed that my leg fe!t so unwieldy and uncomfortable all the time never mind the pain! But now at 12 weeks I sometimes even forget my knee for a bit and though its still not a normal feeling leg its getting a bit less intrusive week by week so I really live in hope that I'll be really glad to have had the op. I am amazed that so many of you are so young to be having this op with all the pressures of having to get back to work - that must be really hard! I'm in my 70's so its easier in some ways and fortunately very fit apart from OA. I didn't stop using a crutch until 3 weeks ago and then it was the physio who said NO MORE CRUTCHES!! Still feel bit wobbly at times but press my foot really firmly onto the ground when this happens and it goes away! I'm sure you'll there sooner than you think - it just all feels so impossible sometimes doesn't it?
  • Posted

I think it is too early to have regrets. I am 56 and I was thinking exactly the same thing this morning, I struggle to get any bend and was trying to imagine how I would feel in a few months if there is no improvement. I had to swiftly remind myself, after reading the posts on here, that everyone heals at different rates and that the changes from one week to the next can be vast. You can't change the decision you took to have the replacement so try to remain positive that it will be worth the pain and the stress in the end. Good luck.

• Posted

I'm just coming up to 12 weeks and I've just turned 53....not back to work yet due to teaching and not being able to care for the children properly or do PE etc...I still have days where I get pain but not the pain I had before the op...I swore when I had it done I would never have another one yet i would do it again now as things do get better...bend is 115° but I can't ride a bike yet and knee still feels like it's going to rip open if I try to bend too much yet i know people who seem to be all better and whooping it up at 6 weeks...or so they say! I'm just continuing at my own pace and carrying on taking tips and help from all the lovely people that have helped me through on this forum....It does get easier x
    • Posted

Was interested to read your post, I am 54 and also a primary school teacher. I am two weeks post op and hoping not to go back to full time teaching, looking at phased retirement to two days in September. The thought of PE, kneeling down with children or them knocking into me is a bit scary at the moment. I will be really interested to follow your progress.
    • Posted

Was planning on going back after this easter break but still limping and doc said it was a care issue not just for me but for the children as I couldn't see to them if say one ran off or I needed to deal with an accident and have to kneel...I also like sitting on the floor with them and that's a laugh getting back up so I have been signed off until June 1st...I will let you know how it goes
  • Posted

Bebe, isn't it nice to know you aren't alone in your missery? I'm turning 51 next month and had a bilateral the end of October 2014. Part of the reason for that was that I was afraid I would chicken out. I realy questioned my decisions. I had no clue the time it would take for things to get normal...I still don't. But like the others have said, I can do much more than I could before the surgery. I am told to give it up to a year. We have just had some major work done, bones sawed, new pieces attached. It takes a long time to recover from that. Do you have to still use the cane? What I experienced was that my brain had been trained to allow me to walk funny because of all the pain. I'd done it for so long that it was a huge mental battle to change that. My PT didn't allow me to get accustomed to the cane for too long.I appreciate that, otherwise, I might still be sporting it. I hope you find this less discouraging and will go forward with the other knee.
  • Posted

Hi Bebe 

i have just had my right TKR 18 days ago I had my left one done 15 weeks ago I am glad I had them done as my knees where so bad and I am 56. I am in pain with my righ and that one is not as bad as my left. But having them done so close together it's like having two new knees at once... But it's done and you do get better ..each of us are different with pain I have had a few cries myself but it does get easier good luck

• Posted

Hi bebe im 56 and 5 weeks post op and boy do I regret it but im hoping this will change??? My cons told me because I was young and fit it would be a doddle!! He was sooo wrong!!! Only this morn ive laid on the bed crying cos im tired and uncomfortable. I thought that by 6 weeks id be back driving and maybe at 12 weeks back to my NHS job but at this rate ive no chance. The ONLY consolation is that it seems there are a lot of us out there struggling and its nice to be able to help each other feel NORMAL.
    • Posted

Hi Andrea 

your not alone on my first TKR I cried all the time my husband was sick of me crying I was so low I just wanted to be little me again ...it did ease and I got back to little me I am now 18 days right knee TKR and have the tears again 15 weeks between the two knees is a bit close to have them done but them tears will go and things do get better believe me I was in Florida after seven weeks after first TKR take care remember we are not alone here xxx

• Posted

Oh Martin I kid you not the left leg is hurting bad as the right one I think myself fifteen weeks was a bit close myself but it's done now I'm walking like ibble the cripple and the swear words are terrible lol
    • Posted

I too have had bad days (13 days post tkr) mainly because I couldnt lift my own leg the brain says go and the leg says no chance.Yesterday out of the blue I got it up onto the sofa. The point is what a difference a day makes, another 6 week will be a totally different picture for you hang on in there and good luck
    • Posted

Yes, even from the point of view of trauma to the body, fifteen weeks does seem a bit close!  However,  now that it's done at least you will be back to normal quicker. . .hard work though!  I keep trying to think about summer 2016. . surely we shall be totally normal by then!
    • Posted

I have never been normal Martin ...lol but I am your worsed enemy as I am up and down the stairs with out my crutch..which is putting to much weigh on my other leg plus I'm only on paracetamol as other pain killers make me feel sick...I went for a two mile walk a week ago and totally done my knee in... So I have had a sh*t week of pain have iced it all week ......plenty of tears too my own fault trying to run before I could crawl .... I went today on a ten minute walk on both crutches now got the ice on it but yes we will be fine by the summer xxx
    • Posted

Hey Andrea I know we've all been there lol. I wanted to go in the back yard n cut off my hold leg the pain was so intense. I would tell my friends they would laugh I didn't see the humor. But the pain effects you differently from day to day. I would use my good leg to lift the tkn leg in bed on couch etc it help until the leg got stronger. It's ok to cry but pick yourself back up again. Nothing or no one can prepare you for a tkr so just take if one day at a time. Well I'm back driving I'm 7wks post op I due to go back to work next month I'm still on cane. In the house I'm walking around with nothing to get use to walking by myself. As someone said there is light at the end of the tunnel the tunnel just has different length n turns for us all. It's gonna be ok😑

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.