Regrets TKR

Posted , 14 users are following.

Does anyone regrets doing their TKR I'm 7wks post op. I've overcome all the pain something I thought I would never get past but I did. I just thought I would feel better everyone I talked to who ever had the surgery said they feel so much better. It makes me not even want to do my right knee. Again people say this knee may be better n not so bad. I'm only 51 I don't want to feel like a little old lady that can't walk right. I'm due to go back to work next month I'm still walking with a cane.

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm 57 had left tkr ten weeks ago and know how you feel. Just keep working on getting muscles stronger, and hoping things will improve. Still get a lot of stiffness some days but am on fewer painkillers and feel better as a human being. Struggling to drive is hard. Determined to walk tall and straight and just keep on practising the techniques shown. Getting the electric stabbing pains now. But sleeping a lot better than a few weeks ago. Takes time I believe and acceptance that it's a big op wouldn't say I regret it but really won't have the other leg done in a hurry.
    • Posted

Hey Caroline the electric stabbing is the nerves waking up I've learned. Yeah I'm walking around the house without cane because I'm back to work next month I work in the hospital so I'm telling myself you won't be able to walk as fast but you R back. I never thought my gait would be with a slight limp it just different due to the hare ware in the knee I call it lol. Yeah I'm strongly against doing the other knee it's not anything I'm willing to do. We have to remember that the surgeons have the easy part we have to take this new knee n teach it to walk bend strength doing all the things we once loved thanks again πŸ˜‘
  • Posted

Hi Bebe ... I feel exactly the same as you!! I'm only 53 and it's getting me down - I'm nearly 9 weeks post op and can't see ever being "normal" again. I'm back to work next month and I'm already really worried about that. The worst thing is my right knee (I had the left knee replaced) has now started to hurt which is slightly worrying because I'm not going down this flipping road again!!! 😞
    • Posted

Hi Clarkey do you think you should be going back to work sooo soon??? What sort of job have you got??
    • Posted

Hi Andrea - unfortunately I do have to go back. I'm a PA so the job itself is pretty easy it's just the thought of travelling that I'm not looking forward to!! I might see if I can start off doing shorter hours to miss the rush hour. 😝 xx
    • Posted

Ohh bless you I work for the NHS so its major trauma on the knees heaven nos when il get back cos they cert wont allow anyone whos not properly fit!!! You make sure ur right before you tackle that travelling cos you dont want any set backs x x
    • Posted

Oh sounds like your job is pretty full on. I definitely will because there is no way that I've gone through all this to have to go back to square one again😁
    • Posted

Especially going up stairs, and getting up from the loo I notice a twinge in my left knee too . . and I honestly can't see myself ever ever doing this again! I'm hoping that as the operated knee works better, there wont; be so much strain on the 'good' knee. . but once that pain starts, it seems to me it's the beginning of the ned. I do hope not!
    • Posted

Hey clarkey thanks for the heart felt response I also had my left done. I need a tnr in the rt knee also but there is no way in hell I'm doing it my left knee was worst that's why it was done first. Well after reading the post everyone does have a different healing response time it's our body n how hard we work everyday at strengthens our selves. As of yesterday I started walking thru the house without my cane even went out in the yard. Today was my first day back to church so I'm so very thankful. The message was on faith. I realize that it's a long haul but eventually we will over come the trip and look at all the people we have helped in the mean time. Stay strong
    • Posted

Hi Bebe .... glad you feel better for going back to church. What I find comforting is knowing that there are other people (of our age) who are going through this and we can offer each other encouragement because unless you've actually gone through this horrendous operation you really don't understand not only the pain but all the other emotions thag go with it.

It's a new day and the sun is shining so onwards and upwards!!! Still don't want the right knee done though!!! 😝 xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.