Regular Migraine auras

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there, I’m new to this forum but am desperate to find help. I have my first child 9 Months ago and for the first time in my life started getting migraine auras. I don’t get the usual

Pain after just 20-30 Mins or aura which is terrifying. 

I recently saw a neurologist who has sent me for an mri but says it sounds like migraine. As I am new to this I am Trying to find a treatment to reduce the frequency at which they are occurring. I found some information on vitamin b2 as well as a

Daily aspirin. Has anyone had success reducing the frequency and if so how? Also is there anyone else that has had migraines start later on in life? I am 30 years old. 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lizzie,

It's perfectly possible to have migraine auras without having headaches. The later in life these migraines start the more likely they are to be acephalgic (i.e. without headache). They're quite likely to start after a major life event like having a baby - and also to disappear again spontaneously.

The reason why I'm fairly knowledgeable about this is that I had my first-ever migraine aura (with no headache) just six months ago, at the age of 73! I'm a former neuro nurse, but was completely unaware that classic migraines could start this late in life. I totally freaked out, thought I was having a stroke, especially as mine started with a large blind spot in the centre of my field of vision (both eyes). I was actually on the verge of calling an ambulance, when it started moving to one side, and took on the typical shimmering, flashing appearance with jagged black lines. That's when I realised it was a migraine aura and calmed down a bit. The whole thing lasted around 35 minutes.

I haven't had another one since then, but my GP says I may well, now I've had the first one.

It's good that you've seen a neurologist and will be having an MRI, just to be sure, but it's unlikely anything will show up.

I can't really see the point of taking painkillers for these attacks, as other posters are suggesting, as you're not suffering any pain. All the drugs prescribed for migraines come with side-effects, which are worth putting up with if you're going through agonising headaches, but there wouldn't be much point in risking them in your case. For one thing, most migraine sufferers who actually have pain only take their medication when the aura comes on. I don't think there's any medication you can take on a regular basis to stop the auras, though there's no harm in trying some of the alternative remedies mentioned on this board.

On the assumption nothing shows up on your MRI, I'd say you'd be better off just relaxing a bit and living with these auras. At least you're not getting headaches! It may well be that once your anxiety levels decrease you'll get the auras less often. Don't forget you're still going through the stressful learning curve of coping with your first child as well. I've a hunch that these painless migraines will fade away over the next year or so.

• Posted

Hi Lily,

i found your post very interesting.   When I went to the neuro he wanted me to take topamax, but I declined. Just to many side affects.   I remember my first episode.  As you, I thought I was stroking out. I panicked and went outside, and the very sunny day made it worse.  I called my eye doctor, and she told me what it was, and that it will pass.  She told me she gets them too.

As my are seasonal  (weird), I tend to think it might be allergy involved.  Yet I did have the pick allergy testing and it was fine.

These are really unpleasant, but so relieved there is no migraine that follows.  I also suffer daily from huge facial pressure that plugs my left nostril and left ear. This gives me an off balance feeling and certainly creates a lot of anxiety.  Neuro thinks some kind of migraine.........

It happens daily usually at the same time of day.  I first kinda connected it to the barometric pressure,  with cloud movement, but because this is daily, it is really hard to tell

• Posted

Dear lizzie

I am 53 and started having regular migraine auras at 51, they stopped for a couple of years but have started up again since June! I dont get the migraines, sometimes a bit of over eye pain but now it just seems to be auras. I have had about six a month or sometimes abit less at four. I think sometimes light might trigger them or possibly caffeine and I had one after swimming once (I believe exercise can do that). I did see a neurologist a couplr of years ago but it never went further than that and have an appointment to see one again. I read about one lady trying antihistamines as a preventative measure and I have been on them for a month now and so far no more auras. I will stop them again soon and see if the auras return. Do you get watery eyes and dry eyes? I do but while on these tablets I dont, I was wondering if it is allergies triggering them as the antihistamines seem to be working

• Posted

I found your post interesting.

I am 62 yrs old and started having auras when I was about 57-58.

As you, I do not get the headache, just the auras.  They last about 20 minutes, and then they are gone.

What I find interesting is that when you started taking the antihistamines  your auras stopped.  My auras seem to only come seasonally.   Apr/May   and then    Sept/Oct.. those are allergy times.

I have done the prick allergy testing but nothing came up.

Also when I am having the auras bright lights really bother me   

• Posted

Dear lolasmom

Yes I wondered if it might be connected to the seasons and allergies except that mine started in July, I had a few in August, more in September, less October. I am just going to keep taking them for abit longer as at present I havent had any for a month now

• Posted

Glad to hear you have been free of these for a month. Hope this continues.

They are nasty right?

also wondering where you live,and whether weather has something to do with it.

I am in Toronto Canada

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.