Rehab

Posted , 17 users are following.

I just found out that I might have to to a rehabilitation center for two weeks after my tkr has anyone had to do this this makes me not want to go through with it

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Shelly, if you do not have someone to help you (spouse, etc), most surgeons will want you in a rehab facility. A friend of mine has no one and his bathroom is on the 2nd floor. He MUST go to a rehab to get the help he'll need for the first 2 weeks. You will be fine. They will help you with PT and make meals for you. You'll be fine!!

• Posted

Why does this make you feel you don't want to go through with it?

• Posted

Because there's only one where I live don't like the place and don't want to leave my poor dog that long she's my baby

• Posted

Who will you have to help you? Are they willing and able? If really well prepared and where you live is suitable, plus you have enough support, should be ok.
  • Posted

Hi Shelly. I know it sounds scary but I bet it will be good. Concentrating only on getting better. That's your focus for the two weeks and don't let anything get in your way!

• Posted

I have a friend that had surgery three years ago.  She's single and has a two story home, she choose and rehab facility and said it was a good experience.  She had PT right there and it motivated her.  She did very well.  Go for it, you'll do fine.👍👍

• Posted

I take it you are not in the UK?  I would LOVE to do that, as I know I would get the constant care and push I would need for the best chance of the best result.  Thats how I would try and look at it.  

I am in the UK and terrified that after I am checked out of the hospital, i will be on my own to sink or swim.  

Are you in the states?

• Posted

Hi... I am in the U.K. and yes, you will be left to sink or swim I am afraid...(I would take rehab given the chance!)

I am 4 weeks post op

I was sent out of hospital 2 days after op, I couldn't walk properly, was in terrific pain, they were in such a rush to get the bed I left with a full dinner on the table and they didn't even give me time to dress....I only had my son ( who was in school the very next morning) to care for me, I was alone all day everyday until he returned, I have seen no doctors or nurses just a young Physio twice!!

I rang my doctor asking for an appointment for pain relief, he rang me back (no appointment) and said he would leave a prescription for morphine that my young son could pick up??

If I was offered care and help I would take it with both hands, this is an extremely difficult operation to get through alone!

• Posted

The reason why you need professional PT is to break down the scar tissue that's forming.  Here, that starts a few weeks post op.  I went from a ROM of -14 straight / +84 bent to a ROM of -1 / +123 after 10 weeks of PT @ 2X/week plus the home exercises.  The goal is 0 / +120.

Attaining this is brutal.  The PT puts your ankle up on a block and literally pushes down on the knee.  Another one (you can do at home) is to lie face down on a table or bed with both knees on the edge but not over the edge.  Then relax and let you leg just hang there...gravity does the work.  You can also put a 2-pound ankle weight on the bad leg to get more pressure to straighten the knee.  A good method for the bend is to lie face down again and have someone bend your leg up and towards your butt. The first step would be at least 90-degrees and then past that to 120.

These are all done at PT by a trained and licensed physical therapist because they know how mush to put it and at what stage but the latter two can be done at home.  Heel slides are also very important to get your ROM correct...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-heel-slide-exercises-526213

Take your meds...do the work.  Gotta get your ROM back or you'll limp forever.

• Posted

My wife couldn't handle me when I got home one day post-op.  Shipped me out for a week.  Understandable as she's recovering from a brain aneurysm so how could I get angry with her?  Hated the place but I got better care than at home since it was too difficult for my wife to handle it.

• Posted

If you have help, there is no reason to go to a rehab facility.
    • Posted

They said it depends on how I do in the Hospital if I have to go or not
  • Posted

What kind of home help will u have? I made sure i had what i needed to be able to be home. If you can be prepared at home why go? Ask what will they do specifically. Is it aggressive rehab? How many times a day? Is ur home unsuitable, as ur bedroom up a flight and kitchen and bathroom somewhere else? Leaving ur pup for 2 weeks is hard/traumatic for both of you. Look at it realistic. What are your NEEDS vs wants.

Hate to add this but...do you have good insurance so off you go, no brainer, in their eyes. Im a firm believer people do better at home BUT they need the right resources.

Good luck in your decision.

• Posted

I will have all the help I need at home do have a two story but will be moving downstairs I have been preparing my house and the rehab will come to me if they don't send me off

• Posted

just get your organising head on i bought a trolley with brakes meds and bottled water on the desk next to me phone near me get a list of people who would come straight away if youre stuck I had a toilet downstairs but wait for it used a comode next to me and the next visitor got the job of emptying it pile of clean clothes at hand although i went around in my nightie for 2 weeks writing pads cos you get baby brain afterwards to lists things to ask for keep a diary of your journey i did it will come in handy for the next leg to be done and dont forget you will cry buckets afterwards everyone has down days and at the last resort make sure you have sewwts and chocolates in forget about the diet for a few weeks and dont forget to keep in touch on here thats we are all here for good luck xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.