Rehab

Posted , 17 users are following.

I just found out that I might have to to a rehabilitation center for two weeks after my tkr has anyone had to do this this makes me not want to go through with it

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Did they say why you 'have to go' to rehab? My doctor encouraged it but I have a marvelous husband at home, a smallish home of one story, and laminate floors so could not see the sense of it. I declined and it was not a problem. A part of me thought it might be a good idea to get the extra PT but home I went ( and my kitty girl was so glad to see me)! Best wishes to you whatever you decide.

• Posted

Shelly, I had to do that for 2 weeks.

And I needed it, it took one week just to bring my pain under control so that they could even touch my leg....a whole lot of pain, but worth it so far (4 months after TKR.)

• Posted

My doctor was very much against rehab. He said there's been studies that show there's no difference between those who went & those who didn't, & sometimes there's issues with infections, etc at some rehabs. Within 2or 3 days I was able to take care of myself, including going up & down stairs (hopping). A PT came to my house 3 times a week the first 2 weeks. My husband is retired & was helpful but if I didn't have him I'd order groceries on line & take taxis or Uber to go out if I had to. And my dog was the best therapy.

Get yourself a raised toilet seat & shower seat. Good luck.

• Posted

No one can make you do anything! I wished I could go to rehab but no private insurance so no rehab. My pain took a while to stabilise but from day 6, discharge day, I was mobile enough to use toilet, shower, get myself a coffee and microwave my frozen curries. My sister was out most days and she knew I would cope. A neighbour rang me daily and all was ok.

It's amazing what we can do if we have the I will to do it. We have a pup whom we love too. She has carers who will feed her and stay if necessary. Plenty of help is out there. If you really cannot understand the benefits of rehab, then do not agree to it. x

• Posted

Hey, if the option to go to a rehab centre for two weeks after the op had been offered to me i would have jumbped at it!  it's really not that easy trying to get yourself a cup of tea and taking it with you from the kitchen with two crutches. .every single thing you do is made more difficult, but hey, it has to be done!   the average house is not equipped to help someone in a lot of pain and a knee which does its best not to bend. I would look on this offer as a great advantage, not available to so many of us TKR patients. . .. . 

• Posted

Fortunately, my house has no stairs, my caregiver husband is the best and had a great OP PTS set up for both my knee replacements over a year apart. But my best friend ,who'd had TKR two weeks ago went to rehab. It has been a good thing for her, for sure. Their home has stairs where the kitchen and bedroom are on the second floor. Her husband brings treats, is taking care of the house and their "critters". Meanwhile Deb is getting great PT, meals, pain meds, private room and cold air conditioning. Her attitude is positive even at the loss of her father last week ( sad but expected). I think she'll be in a good place facing the challenges of being back home. So, hopefully you, too, will have a good facility and on your way to a strong recovery.

• Posted

3 times. Best call ever made. My wife is in advancing stages of Parkinson's and couldn't begin to care for me. I had 3 weeks way time. The extra care from the staff was a blessing. To be honest, I got a little teary a couple times worrying about my wife by when I was able to talk to staff and family I got through it in a hurry. Be sure and socialize....don't isolae

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.