Relapse

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi. I haven't been following too much lately because I really thought I was on the mend. I started on Cit 20 July 5 9f this year and about a month later I was upped to 30.I know I don't need to tell you about the side effects and and how much worse it got before it got better.

I was put off work since then and rescheduled to go back start of Oct. My mom is has terminal cancer and I can't deal with the abuse from work no more.

Let me tell you a had an awesome month of Aug and first week or so of Sept. I felt better than I did in 10 yrs. I just simply felt great.

About 5 days ago, I received a text from my boss just being a @$#&&, and as soon as u saw the message, all my progress and accomplishments went straight out the window. I feel like I'm back ato square one like I lost hope again. Not trusting my meds. I made the decision that today I'm gonna quit my job and find something else. I guess my question is, has this sorta thing happen to you before and will it eventually get back to being good?

I apologise for the lengthy post. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Take it further if ur works being ass holes then get someone higher involved or go to a unioun if ur in one or acas if ur in the uk
  • Posted

You've not surprisingly had a relapse, all down to what I'd call harassment from your boss. You have certification from your GP that you will not be fit for work until the beginning of October. If your boss is harassing you for whatever reason, and I suspect it's to find out if you can return to work any earlier, then just tell him that your doctor MAY review your return, but DO NOT hand in your notice, you are entitled to sick pay from your employer. He needs to understand that your health comes first and foremost.

• Posted

Hi Dottcom, 

This isn't a relapse, it's a blip. There is a big difference because a relapse is a complete return of your symptoms in full force after a prolonged period on medication, whereas a blip is generally a downward turn in your mood which is perfectly normal during recovery and you will probably have many of these blips along the way. I started Citalopram on 2nd April and I'm still getting blips but the interval between them is going longer so I know they are blips and not relapses. 

You ou may feel rotten for a day, a few days, or even longer but eventually you will come back up again. It is all perfectly normal, especially after a period of stress like you've just had. Try not to worry and just carry on as usual. 

• Posted

I agree it is just a blip. I've been on CIT 20mg since Nov. 2015 all most a year and I still have an occasional day or 2 of being OFF but you will recover from it. As far as your job take the time your doctor recommended go back when you feel well enough. As for your boss slip him a couple cit 30 in his coffee and let him experience what we have lol. Good luck and move forward stay positive !

• Posted

Try not to think too much on what your boss is saying. As that will put you in sad mood. Instead focus on some positive stuff, like over coming your side effect(which is not easy) and the fact that you are doing better on your road to recovery. Right now the most important thing is your health.
  • Posted

The road to recovery often comes in waves, so you will be up and down for a while still.  I'm sorry to hear about your mom xxxxx ... and also about work to.  That text is bound to cause you upset and so drag you down.  Absolutely not what you need at the moment.  Despite all this though, you will get these blips but they do get less as time goes by.  No doubt this text has caused you to have a blip.  Your progress has only been temporarily scuppered, its not completely lost.  Your body will remember feeling well and when things have settled you'll find yourself getting back to where you were.

• Posted

You guys are so kind

Thank you for the encouragement. It's sad that we have to be stuck with these demons but knowing that we are not alone really helps. I wish all of you the best as well.

• Posted

I m sorry to hear about your mum and your boss being a s**t.

Can I just ask if you have had other blips. I feel so confused. I ve been on cit for just over 9 weeks. 1 week on 10, 1 week on20, 6 weeks on 30 and 1 week on 40. Up until 2 weeks ago I was doing ok. Having ups and downs but manageable. Last 2 weeks I have felt so anxious I can t cope. Adrenaline rushes, headaches, panic, derealsation, agoraphobia and strange sensations on my skin hot and cold. I have a 7 month old baby and can t be in this state. I can only describe it as terror. I did have 4 good days in last 2 weeks. I feel like I need to go to hospital as I m so scared. I took 15mg of diazepam an hour ago but barely helped.

Any advice ?

• Posted

Hi sarah,

I'm no expert but if you've been on 40mg for 1 week it's likely that these are side effects which will subside. Did you have similar experience when you started and then with dose increases?

I agree it's very frightening especially when you have a baby to care for, is anyone with you for support? I had awful increased anxiety twice now with start up and then dose increase, try not to panic as it will pass. I know it's easy to say that cause I've been in that awful position. Why not talk it through with your GP asap ? I really feel for you x

• Posted

Do u have someone u can call for support until u calm down
    • Posted

I only had mild start up side effects. Whst I don t understand is why I felt ok for 4 days since going up to 40mg....it was on day 6 of being on 40mg that this started. I even had a head and chest cold over those 4 days. I am still suffering with end of the cold. So confused. Should I drop back down or does this mean it is not going to work for me despite feeling an improvement till about 2 weeks ago.
    • Posted

Hi sarah, my side effects didn't kick in until after first 3 days then awful nausea for 4-5 days. It was only when the nausea was nearly done when the awful anxiety started cause I thought I'd got away with it! Worst time was days 10-14! Hope you are feeling a bit better today . Try and hang on I know it's awful x

• Posted

Thanks for yoy reply

I am a bit less anxious today but still feel very low, no appetite, very weak.

I didn t really have start up side effects....a little. I m on day 9 of 40mg and the jump from 30 to 40 has been the worst from day 6 on 40.

Can you make any sense of that ?

• Posted

Sounds like the timing is similar to mine, I'm only on 20mg so goodness knows how I'd cope if they increased it . I started of 3wks at 10mg and now day 12 of 20mg. Did they increase yours due to continued symptoms? I did read somewhere that if you have increased anxiety as a side effect then it's more than likely going to respond well to the meds.

Hang on in there !

• Posted

Are you feeling any better yet ?

They always planned to get me to 40mg. I felt like it was working very fast but about 5 weeks into 30mg I crashed so they decided to increase then.

They tell you it can take 6 to 8 weeks but I ve read a lot saying in can be more like 3 months at correct dose.

It is so confusing as there is so much information that contradicts itself out there.

I don t think I could go through a med change so am putting all my faith in cit.

Let's both hang in there x

• Posted

I'm just starting to notice a bit of improvement with sleep which means I'm not quite as tired the next day. Also others are saying I'm a bit brighter and I feel more able to make an effort to mix more again with friends. I'm still a tad anxious in a morning but nothing like it was and I've got the diazepam right down. Only had it a couple of days with this increase cause I hate taking it but had no choice on the really bad days.

What happened at 5 weeks when you crashed. It's a really frightening experience the whole thing isn't it? I'm glad your a bit better today x

• Posted

Hi

I have been on 40mg going on 7 weeks now. Most of the side effects are going away. I still have blips now and then

Just hang in there. I know that we are all anxious to feel better.

• Posted

Did start on 40mg ? Did you feel worse when you increased ? Have you only started to feel better at 40.

Sorry for all the questions just really panicky. Should I drop back to 30.... why am I getting worse anxiety going from 30 to 40 than when I started at 10.

How long have you been on cit ?

• Posted

I was on 20 for 11/2 year. But recently I did a major relocation that caused my depression to increase as well as my anxiety. When I went to 40mg I had side effects that I did not have when I first started. But those effects are almost gone now. I am still depressed but I am working on that through therapy and changing my thought patterns
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.

I suffer more with anxiety than depression. I have had new symptoms going from 30 to 40. I too am having therapy and I am finding it is making things worse before better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.