Relapse

Posted , 9 users are following.

UGH! Had a very busy weekend walking but at PT today couldn’t get to 110 which I was able to do last week. So frustrating but will keep trying. It’s all I can do. 6.5 week’s post. 

Also, have a little redness near incision don’t think infected but wish it wasn’t there. 

2 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Early days yet and the redness does take for ever I used Arnica cream then E45 twice s day even now 7 months post op x
    • Posted

Thank you Joan I will try that! Early days I am grateful of this constant reminder by those who are ahead of me. I feel already I should be recovered but I know it takes much longer than this. 
    • Posted

I started using Bio Oil months after my TKR. Wish I’d started in the beginning. Scar looks so much better after only one month of using. I’m 10+ months post now.  Your recovery is in the early phase yet. It can take over a year to fully recover. Everyone is different.  Some are really lucky, and recover sooner....the majority takes longer.  Take your time. It took many years before you got to this point. Don’t rush. It will get better!
  • Posted

Hi Robin, yes early days, take any advice from your physio, also , try and do the exercises regularly between your PT sessions. I have used Palmers Oil , same as bio oil on my scar, and it looks really good. Wouldn't think there should be infection at this stage, surely your physio would have shown concern. Keep working at it, I am only just 110 at 8 weeks. !! Sue

• Posted

That’s marvelous! Congratulationssmile it’s a good feeling to hit those marks. I will practice those exercises tomorrow and in the morning before I go back Thursday afternoon. Sometimes I just don’t feel great and I can tell when body is a bit off. I just hate the measuring thing lol  I am able to walk quicker and longer so that’s good. And I think I do the exercises pretty good too. I just struggle sometimes with measurement. 

I am so happy to get back to this site. I couldn’t get on for several days.

• Posted

Its an amazing site for help I also used to be impatient beating my self every day saying " I should be doing this 😢" Myhusband was my saviour his words were. Keep your head down accept its only going ti take time you will have set backs but in the end uou will come from the dark side and say who's the winner ME 😁😁😁 SO keep going oh by the way it included days of self pity and tears galore 😢😢😢 I can't remember me as I was. I am to have my other knee done in 4 week's so once again I shall be on here AGAIN for support and to think I said "never again " 😁😁😁You hang in a new you is ahead 💗💗💗💗💗

• Posted

Wow this isn’t so encouraging! Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I need so much support to get through this lol. I wish you so much success with your other knee. Good for you to continue on your quest toward health! 😘

• Posted

I had TKR 5 years ago. I only just got to 90 degrees for my 6 week appointment so 110 is very good, don't get discouraged, maybe you are expecting to much too soon. It is still early days.

Take care and  keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

As others have advised, it is very soon so don't worry about small set backs, they are the norm. Maybe you just overdid the walking and your knee stiffened up. The op is major trauma yet we expect to be back to normal in no time - we would not if we had been in some accident that tore our leg open, would we? Of course, this was controlled trauma, so safer but no less has to heal and our bodies react as if it was a traumatic event.

?Sounds like you are doing well really. Watch your redness for any increase and if you feel unwell or run any fever, best get back to be checked, might just be an internal stitch.

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. It’s been a difficult week and I am hoping I did over do it on the weekend with lots of walking and standing not a lot of care. I was so excited having my son visit I think I did too much. 

I am keeping an eye on site and anxious to put something around it to help with swelling, pain and looks. Someone advised Anicare which I began using 

Thanks again

😘

• Posted

2 steps forward an one back....sort of the drum beat for the first year is so. Nothing to bee alarmed about as its the body's way of telling yo to slow down a little and that you're not going to outrun or outwalk the process. Keep remembering the TKR mantra, its a marathon, not a sprint. Back to the basics of rest, ice, hydration and then you can once again take up the sword a attempt to slay the Dragon but keep in mind, dragons don't go easy and without breathing a lot of fire (that's why your knee is hot..its that damn dragon breath). I've always massaged in a pure VitE oil twice a day with my thumbs. After a couple staph infections and on my 3rd prosthesis the Vit E stopped.helping a lot but I've now got a deep hole where it pools. 11 surgeries will have that kind of effect on you.

• Posted

Wow, thank you for your reminder this is a process. I wish you all the best! You have been through so much smile You are an inspiration 
  • Posted

90 degrees at 6 weeks and around 115 at 12 weeks would be nothing to worry about in my humble opinion...

So you are doing very well!

• Posted

That’s good to know! Thank you I am just gonna practice stretches and not panic over degrees so much. I just hope that stretches will bring desirable results

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.