Relaxed legs going to bed now aching like hell

Posted , 10 users are following.

I went to bed totally relaxed, no pain in legs. Dropped off to sleep sleeping on my side. Woke up after half hour now lower legs aching so much and  thighs like darned lead. What the hell is going in? My god now what is happening?

M

L my thighs frl 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't think you're supposed to be sleeping on your side so soon? Too much pressure on your side? I am 10 weeks and I still have to sleep only back.

• Posted

Yes I am allowed, surgeon lifted restrictions. But all this is just AWFUL. On my back I was up every 10 minutes, back ache, restless legs, into lounge out of lounge back to bed back out into lounge. My god I didn’t look alive. Visitors did double takes, I was ashen with little slits for my eyes. I still get restless legs but what I do not understand and never will is how you can get into bed fully relaxed but wake up after just ONE HOUR with legs so terribly aching you have to moan out loud. There I was, drifting off on my side, comfy but all I was allowed was 1 measly hour like that. Wonderful. Thanks very much. And please don’t mention sleeping on my back because I cant. Spinal stenosis and all that. Do you know I could open my windows and scream. And that isn’t me. 
  • Posted

Hi Sarah,

Try alternating  sleeping on your back and side.  I still do not get a restful sleep, but at least that helps.

Steve

• Posted

P.S. Sarah,

Sometimes I alternate 15 minutes.  I know,  it’s difficult, but eventually I get a few hours sleep.  Try it!

Stevenhir 

• Posted

Hi Sarah

You are not alone! I think sleeping properly is difficult at first for nearly everyone after a thr. At 3.5 weeks post-op I have to alternate lying on my (non-op) side and back. Sometimes it's only a few minutes before I have to swap positions - it quickly just gets achy and uncomfortable either way and I might have a restless and miserable few hours. But usually I do eventually manage to fall asleep for an hour or two. I find getting in as much  activity/walking as I can manage during the day helps. This is my second thr so I have the advantage of knowing it really does get better in time.

sjhips

• Posted

I’m 2 weeks post op and I do walk around my flat with my walker a fair bit. I stuff myself full of night time zopiclone, co codamols, take orange juice to bed but sleep? What is sleep? I’ve now got the most horrendous sore throat and my voice has gone. I went to day good morning to the bird and nothing came out. I just know all this is due to total lack of sleep. 
  • Posted

I am 4 days post op and haven't slept more than 2 hrs at a time. I thought after I came home from hospital yesterday I would do better but no...here I am awake at 3:30am lol. And I have to sleep on my back only and I never sleep on my back and evidently won't be now either. Eventually I will sleep from total exhaustion I hope. Hope you get some rest.

• Posted

I feel so sorry for you. It’s sheer hell. I know exactly what you are going through x x 
  • Posted

Not sure what day it is from surgery. I thought I would add an account of my progress.

Daily  Chronologue:

I am 80 years old and have had 3 stents installed-no heart attack.  My only other hospital problem has been getting a new shoulder-good health otherwise.  I am doing everything I have been told to do.

Posterior procedure.   

I am using coumadin for blood clots. They take my blood twice a week to monitor the level.  Since coumadin I have only taken 3 BP pills out of a possible twenty. MY BP apparently has been driven down by the coumadin.

Have not used pain meds yet

Day 1 & 2: in hospital 

In the following days cited. I have not taken any pain meds yet 

Day 3: Getting home no problem-just followed instructions-now that the hip was done tryng to understand how to organize the house needed changes. Which chair? How many pillows? What to use to get up out of chair? Where to sleep? These would all change as the days went by. I found out what better or worse means. My wife, always my hero, was awesome.

I did the basic therapy for the day and I felt fine. I am walking fine.

That night we got me into our bed which we thought would work well because it is like a hospital bed. The head and foot can be adjusted. No good. (I simply could not use the leg wedge provided in the hospital. It did not work in the hospital as I wound up in the chair every night.) So we decided to use the couch which would keep me on my back. We put some barriers next to the couch.  I slept for three hours and had to get up. Yes, she was there to help.  Anyway it was somewhat of a fitful night.

Day 4:Thanksgiving-The therapist showed up and we went through some extra exercises. I again felt fine.

Sleeping was about the same. I was sleeping during the day sitting up. I used an airplane pillow. I am still feeling only discomfort-not pain. Eating normal. No problem walking.

Day 5: My leg is swelled-the hip and calf about 11/2 /  2 inches larger. We were concerned because no where were we told to expect swelling. So we called the VNA visiting nurse association.A nurse was dispatched. We began icing and raising the leg.. In the meantime I looked on line and found this site which affirmed that some people had swelling-it was a relief. The nurse affirmed it was onl swelling and not a blood clot. Sleeping improved but still somewhat fitful

Day 6: Therapist shows up and we do some exercises and he also affirms swelling is just trauma.

Sleeping still fitful.Walking good. Struggling with swelling.

Day 7: Sunday       Walking well. Icing leg a lot-keeping elevated as much as possible. Doing exercises.

Struggling with swelling.

Day 8: Therapist showed and we do our workout-helpful with ideas and knowledgeable about other folks problems. Struggling with swelling. Sleeping a little better but still getting up a few times at night. Sleeping during the day a lot.

Nurse took blood.

Day 9: Therapist showed. Walking getting better-went outside for a walk. Still no real pain just limping along.

While I still got up two times I slept much better-a good 8 hours.  Still struggling with swelling but I am winning. This morn I was able to jog my leg off the couch while sitting up.

I have decided to do this chronologue because It might help. I will be glad to answer specific questions. I will do a complete update every few days.

Doctor office called and doubled my coumadin dose.

Day 10:  Still not taking any pain meds or other OTC stuff.  Therapist showed.  Total walking inside and outside for day about ½ hour.  Still struggling with swelling and winning but I am forgetting about the swelling at the top of the hip above my butt. I have to ice that once a week. It seems.  While I feel more power in my leg I still can only lift it about 15-20 degrees above the floor while sitting. I was quite tired at the end of the day. 

Day 11.  Sleep was not great.  Started the day dong ankle pumps, knee presses and hip squeezes before getting up.  I also iced the calf and hip area before rising.  No therapist today. I did exercises and then walked our circle outside my house.  I skipped the BP pillls again because my numbers were in line. Later in the day I did the exercises again and also walked the circle two more times.  Total walking for the day about 25 mins.  

It appears that I now have a very sore op side butt. When I sit it hurts. I get up a lot and put a pillow on the side that does not hurt to ease the pressure.  I am lying down now when icing. It is easier on my buttock. 

At this point I cannot imagine I will have to use pain meds. But I have not eliminated the possibility.  

Doctor called and increased my intake of coumadin again. He wants my blood to show a certain level.

Day 12:  Slept well-only got up once. Did icing and exercises before rising. Completed standup exercises. Went for a walk on our circle. Later walked again on circle.  Then still later did icing lying down and exercises. Again completed standup exercises. Later took a walk on circle.  I wanted to go again but decided to wait another day. Did more icing lying down.  Practiced quite a bit walking around house with cane staying close to things I could grab with free hand.  Did icing and exercises before going to sleep.

Day 13: Sunday.  Slept well-up twice.  Still sleeping only on back-not easy.  Very similar to Day 11.  My op butt is not hurting today. I am still getting up often. Swelling there but not bad. Therapist put me through exercises. 

Day 14: Slept well on back-up once.  Similar to Day 13. No therapist.

Day 15: Slept on back-ok not great.  Icing and exercises before rising. Able to get out of bed by maneuvering my op foot.  Therapist put me though entire exercises and added another where I move my op foot to the rear while standing. Marching exercise is getting better with a higher step. Walked circle 4x. And leg did not feel very much discomfort. Butt is not hurting very much.  Practiced walking with cane and also on my own for short distances.  Kept up icing and did the final icing while laying down ready to sleep.

Day 16: Slept on back-sleep ok Visited Doctor -xrays look good. Stopped iron and vit C pills.  Coumadin untill next Tuesday.

Similar day as before.  But seeing a vast improvement in leg mobility. I can get leg into and out of bed without much effort. Swelling still there but getting more under control. Still practicing with a cane. I am also walking, albeit with a gimp, without anything, but only short distances and again able to grab on if necessary.   Have to be very careful turning.  Getting up and down on chair without any extra effort. Legs showing strength.

Day 17: Tried to sleep with pillow on non op side-fuhgeddaboudit. Still cannot sleep on op side because it feels bulky and uncomfortable-no pain. Any ideas on sleeping would be welcome.

I walk around the house without a cane or walker. I am doing 4 or 5 trips around our circle using only a cane. I need someone with me because I have a tendency to lean left at certain times, My op is on the right leg. I no longer have a bandage and can shower with no problem. Iam just supposed tolet water run over the wound. The wound was glued so there are no stitches or staples.

Day 18: Still sleeping on back. Still icing for swelling. Walking without aid around house with a shuffle and a gimp.. Day  similar to Day 17.  Went to a restaurant for my 80th B’day. I start outpatient therapy on Monday.  The idea is to strengthen  and stabilize my leg. I will go 3x per week-perhaps for 4 weeks. As long as my insurance pays for it no problem. Nevertheless I may go less because of Christmas and New Year. Life goes on.

Day 19: Still sleeping on back. Swelling has reduced a lot-foot swelling the most.  Walked outside with cane but did not need it-using it as a precaution. I can now get up and down with a lot less effort. I still feel stiffness around my knee and calf. My blood pressure which had been lowered by using Coumadin for blood clots has gone back up again and I am using BP meds again based on BP readings

Good luck> 

• Posted

I find that my legs get very stiff after sitting or lying for any length of time. It is a real pain. You have only just had a major, invasive operation, so you cannot expect for everything to be tickety poo so soon after. As everyone says things slowly get better and improvements come over time. 

Co-codamol does cause some people insomnia and also drinking orange juice before you go to bed is not a good idea as it contains lots of simple sugars, with little or no fiber to allow for a measured insulin release. Fruit juices can set up a nightmarish crash-and-spike blood sugar scenario during the night. It is also acidic which may cause stomach reaction at night too. 

• Posted

You know, you’ve started to really get on my nerves. I said to you yesterday I trust my GP to ensure my meds are safe but it’s like you are the one whose opinions people should take notice of. And here we go again. 

My not sleeping has nothing to do with taking co codamol. It’s because I am in such a lot of pain.  My GP has prescribed this and I trust her.

I have been taking orange squash to bed for 75 years give or take and have had no problems with insulin releases or any more harmful things you seem to think drinking orange juice at bedtime is capable of doing.

I am well aware I am only 2 weeks post op and I am not expecting everything to have fallen into a utopia kind of place. I live alone and have to manage everything alone. I’m a very independent person and used to “getting on with things” but when you get no sleep night after night after night through pain, had to have a blood transfusion which was still below par on the day you came home, have spinal stenosis and quite severe nerve damage,  it’s a bit daunting when you feel you’re going steadily backwards not forwards.

You upset me a bit yesterday about drug interactions, questioning my doctor’s decision to avoid one drug and give another and how doctors make mistakes. and now today coming across quite critical again about what’s been medically approved to take at bedtime. Other people CAN be correct in their drug administrations you know. 

I’m sorry if what I’ve written comes across as rather impolite, I’m not normally irritated like this, so if you don’t mind I would prefer it if you didn’t write to me again with anymore opinions of all the bad stuff I continue to put into my body. 

I wish you well. 

• Posted

Dear Sarah, I am so sorry I am getting on your nerves. It never even entered my head to be critical. If you do not agree that is fine with me, I am not forcing you to accept what I say, and I have only posted to you to be helpful.  I am sorry if you thought that I was doing it to annoy you. 

I also have had a THR, I also had a blood transfusion, I also live alone, I also suffer from insomnia, probably like many other people who have had hip operations. I really like to hear other people’s comments as I am always interested to learn, question and debate. 

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I was told when I was able to sleep on my side, not to have the operated leg come across the other leg. That is, the operated leg is resting on the other leg but not crossing over it.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.