Relieved

Posted , 7 users are following.

I experienced my 1st bout of Shingles almost 3 years ago. I was extremely stressed and once I googled my symptons, I was scared because I thought it was herpes. Went to my doc and he cultured and turns out it was the shingles. All the myths I had heard about this ailment has been debunked. I thought I was too young, WRONG, I thought it only occured once, WRONG AGAIN. I ususally have one outbreak a year now since the inital outbreak. I just wish I could get a year long prescription, therefore I wouldn't have to be calling my doc to try to get a script when I notice an onset. What filks don't understand is the quicker you start taking the meds, the faster the healing time. I'm tired of this  and won't be eligible for the shot for 8 more years.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That is true that once symptoms appear an it is best to start the oral medicine and cream..

I am hoping to replace by supplements as I am so tired of shingles or herpes.

took the shot as it is for lifetime and it is for once not in every 8 year that my doctor told me.

Jukym

• Posted

Do you feel extremely run down and feel a little sick when you have the symptoms? I just had my second episode this December (the same month as the year before). This year I can't seem to recover completely. Any time I start to feel better and pick up my activities I start to feel really tired and I get cold or flu symptoms. They last about a week and then I feel better with some lingering nerve pain, but good energy. I start adding in some mild exercise and getting things done that input on hold, and a week later I feel bad again. Sometimes increasing nerve pain, or a little spot starts on my back. I star the acyclovir, and continue my vitamins. I've changed my diet to increase lysine intake and decrease argenine. Wondering if anyone else feels this with their shingles?
    • Posted

No, I only realized this outbreak when I was in the bathroom. Now it's burning. My doctor is being really slow about calling in meds. I just I wished I had on going prescription. The stress makes it worse
    • Posted

Yes. Push for a prescription with refills. Or get another dr that will do it. It's nice to have them at home, so when you feel it coming on you can start them right away.
    • Posted

I'm going to see if this one is refilled and set an appointment because I need a prescription with refills. I only experience this once a year, around the same time.
    • Posted

I'm like this most of the time. However, I suffer with ME and the symptoms are the same. I'm on anti virals, but I still feel unwell and very sleepy. I'm thinking about having the vaccine, but as I got ME from a flu vaccination, I am a bit scared. 
  • Posted

Lisa,

First, I am so sorry for your suffering. Herpes Zoster-Shingles is so debilitating and excruciating. I have been getting Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the last 20 years.

My suggestion to you is to change your physician.

I start my Famvir as soon as I feel the symptoms start, thus ameliorating the severe pain. A knowledgeable and understanding physician will give you stock prescriptions for the antivirals and analgesics, ie Opioids, that reduce significantly the lancinating pain.

You have a right to receive the best care by a knowledgeable, caring clinician.

I am a nurse practitioner in the States.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry. This is Michelle (the old lady in the shoe). I was wondering if every time you start feeling an outbreak, you start the antivirals? I'm asking because I just finished a 10 day cycle of the antivrals. I was feeling better, except for being run down, and then today, 2 days after being off the antiviral ", I started to feel extra tired and like I was starting to get a cold. Tonight I have one blister starting on my back. I'm not sure if I should start the antiviral again, since I just stopped taking them? How long do you take the antiviral once you start them?
    • Posted

Michelle,

I take the antivirals immediately when I feel an outbreak starting, because when I haven't started the antivirals immediately, the episode becomes far worse. The antivirals stop the virus from replicating, so when when an episode is starting up again, even when you are just finishing, start again. I agree it is a pain to continue on the horse pills, but it is worse to get the disease and accompanying symptoms.

All the best.

Merry Juliana to the lititle lady with the great shoe collection!

• Posted

Okay, and so sorry to keep asking, but there is truly no one who really understands this that I have come across. When I start them, should I continue them for 7-10days?
    • Posted

I would definitely keep taking them. I'm not understanding y they took me off. I'm up to 900 miligrams of gabapentin thar I'm taking daily. Monday will start my 9th week . The pain is still great. And partial burning.

A question I would like ? In December I was bumped into my a person at my work. She got my shoulder and it bent it backwards. It had been hurting on and off at times bad for a month. That's what I finally went to the doctors for. But then 3 days later my shoulder and arm broke out in shingles. Does anyone know if by my shoulder being injured and some stress and pretty sure a low immune system could have caused the outbreak in my arm and shoulder

• Posted

Interesting????? I broke out where I was having pain in my yoga class trying to attempt increasing flexibility in my upper spine. I was always complaining in class and wondering why no one else was having the bad pain I was. I just kept chalking it up to being very tight in my chest and back. Months later I had stabbing pain next to the lower part of my shoulder blade. I thought I had a rib out. Went to the chiropractor and he adjusted me. The pain was way worse after and that evening the rash appeared. Does aggravating the area cause it to activate??
    • Posted

Michelle,

Take the Famvir 500 mg 3x daily or Valcyclovir 1000 mg 3x daily for 7 days. Acyclovir, which is less efficacious is taken 5x daily for 7 days.

Hope this helps.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Lisa,

First, I am so sorry for your suffering. Herpes Zoster-Shingles is so debilitating and excruciating. I have been getting Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the last 20 years.

My suggestion to you is to change your physician.

I start my Famvir as soon as I feel the symptoms start, thus ameliorating the severe pain. A knowledgeable and understanding physician will give you stock prescriptions for the antivirals and analgesics, ie Opioids, that reduce significantly the lancinating pain.

You have a right to receive the best care by a knowledgeable, caring clinician.

I am a nurse practitioner in the States.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Lisa,

Also, Lisa, the current vaccination, Zostavax, may not be beneficial in reducing the frequency nor intensity or your episodes. The good news is there is a new vaccine being developed that is purported to be much more efficacious than Zostavax. It is due out in the US in 2017. It might come out earlier in the UK as the FDA takes longer to approve drugs than across the pond.

Again,

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you, I'm in Georgia and really didn't want to change doctors but at this point, I may have no choice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.