Remeron Withdrawl - 7.5mg for sleep

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

Ive been using Remeron for sleep off/on for the past year. But for the past two months about Ive been using it fairly regularly and have decided

to discontinue. I did 3.75mg for about a week and now I'm off. Is it possible to experience withdrawl from taking a low dose?

I'm feeling malaise, nausea, irritable, can't sit still, brain fog, depression..

How long does withdrawal last?

Any thing that can help?

Cheers!

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

all of the above im afraid. the nausea was overwhelming, around 2weeks, deffo cant sit still, go to bed at 9 to avoid the pacing!! sleep pattern awful first few weeks, feel a lot better now, 5weeks without it, sleeping a wee bit better, nausea gone, loosing some weight too thank god i do miss the sedative effect tho

• Posted

how long are you sleeping per night now? Also how were you sleeping when you first stopped it, like how many hours a night if any??

• Posted

have you noticed symptoms come and go throughout the day? The malaise/nausea is the worst. I was hoping that only using a lower dose for sleep wouldn't cause an issue like this but I was wrong! I'm hoping symptoms wont last long....

Soccer Dude....

• Posted

I only stopped it the other night. Wasn't helping me sleep much. I was getting 5-6 hours of sleep most nights. last night about the same.... Remeron has helped me sleep at times but not always. I Don't want to be on it any longer. Hoping I can sleep without it, eventually anyway.

• Posted

yes, you will get withdrawal even on a low dose. you shouldnt be thinking of coming off it for at least feeling good for a minimum of 6 months, possibly longer. have your life circumstances improved, so you can come off them? if youve felt good for at least 6 months, and you feel you are in a better place, you need to withdraw much more slowly than you have done you cant halve the dose for a week then stop, and expect no withdrawal symptoms. you now either tough it out, for however long it takes, assuming its right for you to come off in the first place, or go back up to 3.75mg, and stay on that for a couple of months or until youve settled down and feel good on that lower dose, then try stopping again.. you cant stop and start anti depressants when you feel like it.

• Posted

I was feeling good overall but I was using Remeron 7.5mg for sleep only. I'm waiting to hear back from my doctor. I probably should go back to 3.75mg and stay on that a while.

• Posted

can withdrawl symptoms start a week or two after tapering?

is feeling tired a symptom?

• Posted

i did cold turkey 4weeks awful, better now, feel soo much better the drugs are out of my system im not saying go cold turkey tho, i have other medical issues x

• Posted

my sleep pattern went to pot when i first came off it!! was getting about 4hours a night, intermittent tho, on the plus side im not as drowsy now it made me knackered by 8pm every night, the nausea has gone now, thank god, i had it a good two weeks,im glad its outta my system now, i was only on 15mg dose as well pretty hard to believe i got all the awful withdrawl symptoms!!!

• Posted

sorry for all the questions. Did your nausea come and go throughout the day? And did eating make it worse? Drinking water will make it worse for me at times. And also seems worse after eating although not too bad after lunch today but before dinner got really bad again. Today after breakfast it was bad then before lunch all of a sudden I felt funny and the nausea/malaise was gone! I felt normal. But later in the day got worse again. The symptoms seem to do what it wants to do I guess.....

• Posted

the nausea lasted a few weeks, it would come in waves as well i lost a bit weight cos i couldn't eat i felt so sick. it still comes and goes now and ive been drug free for a month now

• Posted

It seems the restlessness has subsided for now, it eased up last night. It seems that the nausea is worst in the morning and afternoon and not as bad in the evening. Can eating make the nausea worse?

I found a compound pharmacy near me that compounds Remeron so I'm checking with my doctor to see if maybe I can get a 2mg and 1mg dose to finish tapering with....

Anyone find anything that helps them sleep? Would taking a OTC antihistamine sleep aid like Unisom help or even be a good idea?

• Posted

i take a lorazepam 1mg, helps with anxiety and relaxes me more for sleep, just about twice a week tho, they build up in the system even at that low dose which i dont like!!!

• Posted

Hi,

Well I've gone through some major ups and downs with feeling ill, malaise, feelings of despair etc... Then I was hit with fatigue both physical and mental and even felt sedated....then two days ago in the afternoon it all just lifted and I felt decent. I thought I was out of the woods 😃 until this afternoon when I was at the store doing on when I felt some butterfly like feelings, then armpit sweats, then feeling a little shaky, but mentally ok until I got home and had waves of feeling despair, panic like something bad was going to happen like I was dying, then things tapered off but I still feel uneasy....anyone experience that?

I found a previous couple of posts I made when I originally went on Remeron for sleep and depression/anxiety and was only on it for 2.5 months. I was taking 7.5mg for most of the time but was on 15mg for two weeks. I explained my withdrawal with some of these comments "but then after that last dose, all heck broke loose. I got nausea, insomnia, lack of appetite, then panic/depression set in, tearful, etc... this lated about 1.5 weeks, then I thought I was improving, then I had body aches, head aches, spasms, etc... Then I felt a little better for a day or two, but now I'm feeling very mentally panicy, pending doom feelings, depressed, alhtough I can eat, I just have this feeling of ill, like something isn't right. I fear everything, etc...."

I took Remeron this time around for sleep but planned on only taking it occasionally, but oops....for some reason my last experience was a blurr and didn't recall the withdrawal hell I had experienced. I was just desperate for sleep. Some of the withdrawal anxiety and depression may have been due to having those issues before going on it and the withdrawal made the issue worst. Since then I've resolved most of my depression and anxiety with Pyroluria treatment (tested positive) and with amino acids etc...I think this is why I've had less anxiety/panic with this withdrawal although they still hit in waves but to a lesser degree. The depressed feeling got bad at times but only when I felt really ill. Hoping this all passes soon!

soccer

• Posted

I take 5-HTP (more of an herb than an amino acid) and/or Tryptophan for boosting serotonin. L-Phenylalanine for boosting PEA (endorphins) and dopamine, L-Tyrosine and/or Mucuna to boost dopamine. Pharmagaba to boost GABA.

Make sure you talk to your doctor before taking any supplements especially neurotransmitter boosting ones while on any medications especially antidepressants.

If you have issues of unexplained anxiety and depression you

might look up Pyroluria. I tested positive. In short this condition lowers your B6 and Zinc levels

among other things which can lead to physical and mental issues. It might be helpful to find a good Naturopathic Doctor. They can help test for Pyroluria if you suspect it, and genetic tests to check methylation status and tests to see if you are an over or under methylator which can help determine what supplements may help or possibly make you feel worse.

• Posted

yes it was literally out of the blue anxiety! i see my doc tomorrow so hopefully he can run some lab tests find out a few things. so do you specifically have to ask for pyroluria test?

• Posted

If you had unexplained anxiety or depression before going on meds then Pyroluria could be a cause. Typically I think symptoms of pyroluria build up over time not necessarily appear overnight out of the blue, but anything is possible I suppose.

There are specific pyroluria tests available. It's a urine test. There is one test called "Kryptopyrrole Quantitative Urine". It's about $82. You might need to find a ND who is familiar with Pyroluria and treating it to help. I'm assuming not many MD's have heard of Pyroluria or are able to treat it since it involves supplements to treat.

• Posted

so are your symptoms of w/d starting to get better? how long have you been off now?

• Posted

Hi,

withdrawal symptoms come and go. The really bad nausea/malaise lifted but still comes and goes but more mildly. The fatigue is what I'm experiencing more of right now...some butterfly anxious stomach feelings hit now and then which also sometimes includes armpit sweating and muscle weakness/shakes.. but it's temporary. Some depression that comes and goes but could just be from feeling ill and fatigued. Overall things seem to be a bit better but still don't feel quite right... different symptoms come and go hourly and/or daily.

I've been off Remeron for about 19 days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.