Remitting seronegative symmetrical synovitis with pitting edema

Posted , 5 users are following.

I found something in a new app I found called Medical Wikipedia, an android downloadable app.

While reading what they said about PMR, I found this as a cross reference:

"Remitting seronegative symmetrical synovitis with pitting edema

Remitting seronegative symmetrical synovitis with pitting edema (abbreviated RS3PE or sometimes RS3PE) is a rare syndrome identified by symmetric polyarthritis, synovitis, acute pitting edema (swelling) of the back of the hands and/or feet, and a negative serum rheumatoid factor.[1] If no underlying disorder can be identified (idiopathic RS3PE), this entity has an excellent prognosis and responds well to treatment.[2]

RS3PE typically involves the joints of the extremities, specifically the metacarpophalangeal and proximal interphalangeal joints, wrists, shoulders, elbows, knees and ankles.[3] It is more common in older adults, with the mean age between 70 and 80 years in most studies.[3][4] It occurs more often in men than in women with a 2:1 ratio.[3][5][6] It is unknown how common this condition is.

Signs and symptoms

Individuals affected by RS3PE typically have repeated episodes of inflammation of the lining of their synovial joints and swelling of the end portion of the limbs.[7] The arms and hands are more commonly affected than the legs and feet.[7] Both sides are usually involved though RS3PE can affect only one side in certain cases.

There is much more in the article.

Very, very similar to my experience.

Would love to hear the knowledgeable and wise opinions of my friends here!

Thanks,

Dan

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

RS3PE can be a symptom of PMR, i.e. secondary to it - I had something that was probably RS3PE in the early days of PMR. It is what causes the hand and foot problems that can be found in PMR. Unfortunately - too many doctors don't know about the association.

• Posted

Interestingly enough a new rheumie I saw last year actually did a check on me for it. I did not have it, thank goodness.
  • Posted

Hi everybody. The reason I listed this is twofold. The app that I referenced was the first understanding that this subset of PMR even existed. I believe that these autoimmune disorders run like a herd of animals. That this particular manifestation is very very similar to p.m. are not distinct or different but just a different manifestation.

Rs3pe was unknown to me except for this new application on my cell phone. I am sure that each of us has a different manifestations of PMR. It does however best describe my personal characteristics. As week Trek into the future we will all have variants of different afflictions. With this technology available to us for cross-referencing, I hope this App will help some of you to drill down and help our physicians better diagnosed our problems. The name of the offline program that I downloaded on my Android phone is called "Medical Wikipedia" It is an offline program so takes some memory, but free.

Best to all.

Dan

• Posted

I know I have talked about it in the past. But then, I've talked about a lot...

• Posted

Eileen, you know how I feel about you, and thank god you have maintained on this site. I have deep affection for you for the empathetic care you show here.

About me: complete remission. And as you may have noticed, not on this site that much. 

But your ears should burn weekly when I recommend this site to others with mystical medical problems. You were the best and most up to date source of info for me in my darkest days.

So I say again, thank you. And I hope the very best for you.

Dan

• Posted

Is this only available for smartphones?  When I found it on my laptop the site says, truthfully, unless my no-longer-supported-PlayBook counts, "you don't have any devices".

• Posted

And I apologize for the choice of my fellow US citizens this past november. Inexcusable.
    • Posted

sorry, don't know.  Did not try on computer.

• Posted

Try "Medical Wikipedia" Offline

20 MB, I think

• Posted

That's what I found.  But I have to agree to all sorts of things, and does it cost money?  Not quite like regular Wikipedia which is open to all without question.

• Posted

Allows me to practice without license.confused

joking

• Posted

Yes, but I had to agree to a bunch of stuff or they won't let me have it.  Probably not really worth it sfor someone like me.  

Do you have any idea how much private information can be gleaned from your "device" when you agree to the terms and conditions of many apps?

• Posted

troublesome

I agree.

don't have a solution

If something's free, I am the product.

• Posted

Saw a show last week where they demonstrated how easy it is to get info.  One of the presenters gave only her phone number to a "hacker" who was at a hackers conference, or something like that.  Within minutes the woman had accessed the victim's bank information!  The program also created their own app which they gave out to willing unsuspecting members of the public as a free trial.  After they showed them all just how much information they had now given the program access to, they ended the show by telling all the volunteers to do one last thing - delete that app asap!  Lately I'd been wondering if I was ready to spring for a smartphone yet and I have to say this program was a real eye opener.  I'd need to learn a lot more about protecting my data before exposing myself to those risks.  I think our home computers are vulnerable enough.  The smartphones look like they are practically transparent!

• Posted

I must admit, I have stopped carrying my smart phone around with me as I can be tracked wherever I am, which I object to. Particularly shops texting me to come in! 
    • Posted

I assume it didn't include you wink

But I have to apologise for my compatriots too! Though maybe Brexit will affect fewer than the Donald. It could be very nasty for us - just hoping it takes a long time to trigger Article 50. August this year would do...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.