Remitting seronegative symmetrical synovitis with pitting edema

Posted , 5 users are following.

I found something in a new app I found called Medical Wikipedia, an android downloadable app.

While reading what they said about PMR, I found this as a cross reference:

"Remitting seronegative symmetrical synovitis with pitting edema

Remitting seronegative symmetrical synovitis with pitting edema (abbreviated RS3PE or sometimes RS3PE) is a rare syndrome identified by symmetric polyarthritis, synovitis, acute pitting edema (swelling) of the back of the hands and/or feet, and a negative serum rheumatoid factor.[1] If no underlying disorder can be identified (idiopathic RS3PE), this entity has an excellent prognosis and responds well to treatment.[2]

RS3PE typically involves the joints of the extremities, specifically the metacarpophalangeal and proximal interphalangeal joints, wrists, shoulders, elbows, knees and ankles.[3] It is more common in older adults, with the mean age between 70 and 80 years in most studies.[3][4] It occurs more often in men than in women with a 2:1 ratio.[3][5][6] It is unknown how common this condition is.

Signs and symptoms

Individuals affected by RS3PE typically have repeated episodes of inflammation of the lining of their synovial joints and swelling of the end portion of the limbs.[7] The arms and hands are more commonly affected than the legs and feet.[7] Both sides are usually involved though RS3PE can affect only one side in certain cases.

There is much more in the article.

Very, very similar to my experience.

Would love to hear the knowledgeable and wise opinions of my friends here!

Thanks,

Dan

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I wonder if this manifestation is along the lines of "taxonomy gone mad".

One cause, various symptoms. And the symptoms have been categorised rather than the cause.

Seronegative simply means no virus (viral infection) found.

RS3PE was previously unknown to me, but I asked my C3PO and now I'm ok. The disease course has an association with Interleukin 6 and the treatment for it is apparently tocilizumab (actemra).

All roads lead to Rome? 

• Posted

PS - a rougher translation

Remitting - it comes and goes

seronegative - not viral infection

symmetrical - bi-lateral (though I guess it could be top and bottom) synovitis - inflamed membrane around most joints

with pitting edema - swollen and hollows stay a while when squashed with a finger.

I'm always a bit doubtful about self diagnosis.

• Posted

Hi Julian,

Good to hear from you. Hope all is going well.

Couldn't agree with you more.

And still with the good humor.

😆

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.