Removal of both ovaries and Fallopian tubes due to cysts 8wks ago still in pain and feeling unwell

Posted , 8 users are following.

When will it be over? I am so depressed and my care has been poor to non-existent from the start. Don't recommend I see the consultant again as he doesn't seem to care. What can I do I'm in despair

1 like, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

What pain relief can you take that doesn't interfere with the epilepsy medication ? 
    • Posted

49. Anything but I have to be a little careful as I am Asthmatic as well, although ok with Ibuprofen, paracetamol does not work which they gave me in hospital despite knowing that! They also gave me co-codmol. I found out later oral morphine had been written up but never given. I can only presume because it is a controlled drug that needs two nurses to administer and they were short staffed. 
    • Posted

I take omeprazole on and off anyway as the medication I am on for epilepsy can cause reflux. Am on it at the moment.
  • Posted

Taz, really sorry to hear you are still suffering.  Go back to your gp, or ask to see another one, please don't suffer, do what you have advised many of us to do and keep asking questions and for help with hormones, if you haven't been offered hrt they should have offered you this or help to manage symptoms.  Best wishes and prayers for you.
    • Posted

Thanks, think problem is partly that spent the three months leading up to op on phone virtually every day trying to get answers, some of those questions have still not been answered and to tell you the truth I am tired of banging my head against a brick wall. The Health Authority here is known to be one of the worst in the country and the hospital has very poor reviews.
  • Posted

Hi Taz i am so sorry to hear everything that as happened.You defanitly need to go and make an appointment to see a differant doctor and tell them the bad experiance that as happened to you.I am disgusted in the way you have been treated.Please make a appointment first thing in the morning.
    • Posted

Rang her this morning and is making an appointment for two weeks time as can be a longer one then and not rushed
    • Posted

It is. She is a new GP at the practice thatI get on well with. She was also training to be a gynaecologist  herself before she got married and became a GP
    • Posted

When is it your appointment Taz.Its terrible how you have been treated.I went this morning to the doctors.I had a full hysterectomy 8 weeks ago and my flower as started burning and hurting me.
    • Posted

She is working out when she can give me the longest time but thinks a week Friday. Am to contact her at beginning of next week if not got back to me with appointment date and time.  

Sorry to hear that and hope is sorted quickly and easily

Taz xxx

• Posted

When i went to the doctors i had to have to do a dip stick and he said i had a light infection (Cystitus) so he as put me on antibiotics (Trimethoprim) 2 a day for 5 days .Well hopefully they will sort you out very soon because i bet your so down.
    • Posted

Know what mean as since op had cystitis twice and now have Bacterial Vaginosis for second time, sister picking up antibiotic internal cream for me on her way home from work.  

That is a good antibiotic and generally very effective for cystitis.

Taz xxx

• Posted

Hi Tazhow ong ago was iwhen you had a hysterectmy and did you have a full onexxx
    • Posted

8wks and it was only the ovaries and Fallopian tubes that were removed so it is not called a Hysterectomy but a Bilateral Salingpo Oophorectomy (BSO)
    • Posted

Tell you the truth I hope I can have a full hysterectomy so I need have nothing more to do with gynaecology. Not the way for many women I know but something I am now praying for. A follow up with him has been forced for tomorrow, dreading it not seeing what use it will be, hope and pray he too sees that as the way forward
    • Posted

I bet you are fed up all the messing about youve had.I wonder if hes had his arse kicked.Dont take any s..t off him if your not sacified Taz tell him love xxx
    • Posted

Let us know how you get on Taz. Thinking of you.xxxx

Kathy

• Posted

You too Kath as you prepare for your op tomorrow

Big hugs 

Taz xxx

• Posted

He wouldn't listen and it was the waste of time thought. Now complaining formally, he's had enough chances. Spoke to PALS who will filter my email in that they will pass a copy to the service manager who maybe able to deal with it on a semi-formal basis, which I would prefer. If not the chief executive will become involved and it will be fully formal.
    • Posted

Thinking of you for tomorrow. By this time it will be long done. Mine took just 40mins.

Big hugs

Taz xxx

• Posted

Really?  I was told an hour and a half!  Is 40 mins normal?

xxxx Kathy

• Posted

Hope you get this sorted out quickly now.xxxxxx Kathy
    • Posted

From that up, yours could be longer because of the IBS. I also understand that previous abdominal surgery, c-sections and conditions that cause adhesions can make the time longer.
    • Posted

Was about 3 hours in operating theatre. They found I had endometriosis. They unstuck some of it. Ovaries and Fallopian tubes removed. I don't think they found any signs of anything else sinister but waiting for results on cyst which was the size of a grapefruit. Really worried I will have to go back in for second op to remove womb etc  if they find cancer in the cyst as womb was stuck to bowel. I opted for ovaries and Fallopian tube removal rather than total hysterectomy because of the delay sending sample to another hospital while under anaesthetic.

has anyone else had to go back in for a second op like this?

• Posted

Glad to hear it went as well as it could Kath. If they do have to operate again it would usually be through the same cuts as this op, (not had myself yet, probable in the future), but this is what GP told me
    • Posted

Hi Kathy,

Welcome back! We missed ya :-)

Glad the surgery went well, overall, and they they did not see anything sinister. My cyst removal was my second surgery (the first was the hysteroctomy in 2006), and this time it was not nearly as bad because I had a general idea of what to expect. I know it does not sound comforting in the least, but if you need to have something else removed, now you sort of know what to expect. And as Taz said, they would like go through the same incisions, so healing would be faster. When will you have the results back?

Hugs,

Lorena

• Posted

Thanks Lorena.  I have to go back in two weeks for results.  If they do have to do more I think I will have to have chemo.
    • Posted

Thanks Taz.  If they go back in I think I have to have chemo as well.  My hospital stay was not great either.  Still am home now and hope I don't have to go back.
    • Posted

Snap re the hospital stay. Hope not and that it is good news

Big hugs

Taz xxx

• Posted

Sorry to hear about the hospital stay.

Did they say anything about chemo, or is it just nervousness speaking?

Lorena

• Posted

It was mentioned at one of the appointments.  Although thinking back, maybe that was just if it had spread outside of the cyst?
    • Posted

Yep..  I can sense your nerves are getting the best of you right now, but that is normal. You have been through a lot.

I, too, was scared when my doc first said that if she saw something sinister during the surgery, they they would take drastic measures, including a follow-up with chemo. But since your surgeons said that they did not see any signs of malignancy (sinister), then the chances of this ending up being just a nuisence for you just went up tenfold. I know it is easier said than done, but try to remain calm. Try to focus your energy on recovering, in getting stronger. 

Also, when you can move around a little more and the weather permits, try getting some sunshine. The sun (Vitamin D) does wonders for me and my nerves.  I bet it will help you too.

Hang in there, my friend. I hope you will feel better soon.

Lorena XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

• Posted

Hi Kath so glad everything went well.Am sure you will be fine.I got a call fromy consultants secretary and told me everything looks good from my CT scan but i have to have another CT scan on my liver just for complication.
    • Posted

Oh Lorena, you are such a rock!

This is what the discharge letter said:

"Right adnexal mass adherent to uterus and rectum.  Left tube and ovary adherent to the uterus and left pelvic side wall.  Normal sized uterus, normal omentum, and rest of the abdomen appeared normal."

so I'm assuming that's good isn't it?  Although still might mean another op with difficulties with uterus and bowel attached still.

Thank you for helping me to stay strong!

xxxxxx Kathy

• Posted

Kath chemo is usually only indicated if it has spread beyond the cyst and even then not if it is seen to be only in the ovary and not the Fallopian tube. This is even truer if they do decide on a hysterectomy and no spread to the other reproductive organs is found  

Big hugs

Taz xxx

• Posted

Unless the attachment of the uterus to the bowel is causing you problems they will most likely leave well alone
    • Posted

Hi kath

Just been reading through. Please try not to worry. Mine

Turned out to be adnexal

Mass in the tube which was also size of grapefruit, it had all ballooned and twisted and was just one blob . Mine was tested in theatre and was benign but they still took some of my omentum and everything was sent away for checking which took about eight weeks to come

Back and all the rest was clear. I had had previous hysterectomy and

Also had adhesions to bowel and bladder. Which I think slows recovery . My surgeon said if you had adhesions often happens again. This is all a very scary process and the long waiting times don't

Help .i was lucky in that

My hospital stay was fine and I was looked after well unlike

Some of you poor ladies . I wish everyone well with there recoveries xx

• Posted

Thank you June.  They didn't test mine in the theatre because they have to send it across the city to another hospital!  I didn't have my uterus removed because of this, hence why I am worried that just as I am getting over this op I will have to go back and have another.  I won;t know results for two weeks. Did you have lymph nodes removed?

xxx

• Posted

Thanks Taz.  If they do find something though (I presume in the cyst as everything else looked clear), I will have to go back in for uterus, ometum, lymph nodes and goodness knows what else, removal, and this is what is worrying me,  So far, like you, for me this whole process has been disasterous, from the time I first saw the consultant to my time after the op in hospital and leaving there on Friday evening.  The NHS seems to have lost its careing ability due to being worried about being sued.

By the way, are you feeling any better?

xxxx Big hugs to you

• Posted

Oops sorry. As benign I didn't thankfully . But really wins they had taken ovaries when they did hysterectomy as my stomach looks like a hit cross bun with a horizontal and vertical scar lol xx
    • Posted

Slowly but the forced follow up was a farce and I am making a semi-official with the service manager or official complaint with the chief executive involved as well, prefer the former but if anything seems clinical will have to go official, service manager is going to look at it and see if can deal with himself.

Hope does go OK Kath

Big hugs and may thoughts

Taz xxx

• Posted

Hi Taz,

How are you feeling?

I've been thinking about you and praying things have gotten a little better since last week.

xxxx

Lorena

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.