Removal of hardware

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I fractured and dislocated my ankle on Jan 25,2018. The next day my doctor informed me that surgery was necessary. I had plate and screws fused to my fibula. Currently, I have three days of treatment at physical therapy. My foot and ankle still swells. I am very frustrated with the aftermath of my ankle injury. I feel that I am going to live the rest of my life limping. I want to know if anyone gotten the hardware removed ? If so, how long it took for you to recover? Have you experienced any improvement with walking and standing? Have your range of motion improved? Thanks for your response😊

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I’m so sorry, I feel your pain. I did same thing to my ankle on 3/27. I feel like I will never be normal again. I am curious to hear if hardware removal helped as well. I don’t want another surgery but wonder if it would help any. My range of motion is sooooo limited. 
    • Posted

My range of motion is extremely resistant. Sometimes, I feel like I am going to lose my balance and fall again. I hope all goes well with your ankle.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your ankle and the unfortunate aftermath of your ankle injury.

I had ORIF surgery over a year ago and am still bothered with constant pain and limping on my ankle as well.

I have thought about hardware removal, but was told I may not be able get my screw removed, as it may be in my ankle to hold it together structurally.

Hoping you get some good news and things start to get better for you!

• Posted

Currently I am 4weeks in with a fractured fibula, dislocation and severed ligaments. I suffered the exact same injury 4 years ago to my opposite ankle. I had the syndemosis screw removed and the plate and pins are still in there. Be sure to continue to do your flexing ankle exercises and elevating it. It is slow going but it does help. I walk fine, i almost have full rotation back and although I never got the full strength back, it didn’t effect my everyday life. It was only noticeable at practice when running drills. Also, get compression socks or you will have cankles forever, lol.
  • Posted

If you search my screen name you can find my posts about having my harware removed. I highly recommend getting the plate and screws removed. Im still playing competive hockey and working my LEO job.
    • Posted

I hope I can become active again. I have gained 10lbs due to not exercising. Thanks for the response. Have a good day.
    • Posted

Keep hitting that physical therapy. When I started pt, it was 30 min of very low impact stuff. When I finished I was busting my ass for an hour and a half. Dont be afraid to tell the therapists to up the work load. PT is your friend.
  • Posted

I had ORIF 4 months ago and screws removed a month ago. Removal of screws has definitely helped with ankle rotation. Recovery from this was fast. I walked straight after the surgery. Now I walk normally most of tge time but no more than 2 miles. My ankle does swell up after walking and when I stand a lot. I have been diligent with my exercises but have not had much physio. Recovery takes time and I have been told to be patient so I can only repeat this to you. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.