Removal of hardware

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I fractured and dislocated my ankle on Jan 25,2018. The next day my doctor informed me that surgery was necessary. I had plate and screws fused to my fibula. Currently, I have three days of treatment at physical therapy. My foot and ankle still swells. I am very frustrated with the aftermath of my ankle injury. I feel that I am going to live the rest of my life limping. I want to know if anyone gotten the hardware removed ? If so, how long it took for you to recover? Have you experienced any improvement with walking and standing? Have your range of motion improved? Thanks for your response😊

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I had an ankle fusion in Jan 2017  and had the screws removed in the April it was the worst operation I have ever had, but that was because the surgeon left it too long. I am a great healer so when he went to find the screws instead of a 10 minute operation it took him over an hour to find the screws. I am so much better with them out. 

Even the wet weather doesn't bother me anymore. When I got home (it was day surgery) I was in so much pain I rang the doctor and he said take more pain killers.

Love that.

• Posted

Thanks for your response. I am happy that your surgery was a success? Were you able to bare full weight on your ankle after surgery?
  • Posted

Hi Yolander,

I broke my left ankle about almost two years ago.  I underwent surgery where a plate and screws were attached to my fibula.  6 months after surgery and the doctor says that the biggest screw has to be removed.  So it was accordingly done but the plate and 4 other remaining screws are still there. The hardware, according to the doctor must not be removed as it assists the fibula in getting back to structure like before.

Don't worry too much about the limping part, hang in there because you'll be over it soon.  I truly understand how you are feeling right now, but take one day at a time and make regular visits to your PT.  I am back to full motion now and also back to playing football which broke my ankle in the first place smile

Wishing you a speedy recovery.  You will get there.

Kind regards,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.