Removal of mesh after inguinal hernia repair.

Posted , 103 users are following.

Is anyone out there aware of any person who has had to have mesh removed due do mesh inguinodynia after inguinal hernia repair with mesh?

6 likes, 596 replies

596 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My name is George, im 37 from Houston Texas. I had 2 bilateral surgeries 1st laperscopic 2nd open surgery because hernias came back out. Inguinal hernias repaired with mesh both times.my pain started in the right side about 10 months after first surgery, pain is in my butt, hip, thigh pain can radiate down my leg on the outdoor side of the leg, never in the back of the leg.

Now pain has started in my left side, just the same way the right side symptoms started, identical.

I went back to Dr jim garza and told him about my pain symptoms and he said they were not related to the mesh, to check my back because the pain could be related to back problems, we'll after mri for my back and hips decided to get some shots in my back and did nothing to my pain, then I did a shot in my hip again did nothing I also had a shot in my bursa by the hip and nothing helped. 8 months after my second surgery in went back with Garza and he said it could be the mesh. After spending so much time and money.

I'm now searching to have the mesh removed.

Found a doctor in Las vegas.

• Posted

George ... I had exactly the same kind of pain as you describe .... I was told by a private surgeon I had a left side if groin hernia .. Very soon after surgery the pain became unbearable

And burning hot ... I spent ever day in bed crying in pain ... Went to another

...Better colorectal surgeon who could see in MRI scan a mass .. He operated and removed what he described as a tennis ball size of PUS ... With about 6 metal staples

Entwined throughout ..It was a real mess .. I had to stay in hospital and had intravenous

Antibiotics to clean up the mess ..

I will never forget that pain ... Thank God that is now over and I have no pain there at all after 2 years

Find a Good surgeon and sue the guy who told you it had nothing to do with the mesh

Good luck George

• Posted

Hi George,

Hope your feeling better mate.

In regards to the doctor you found in las vagas - is it Dr Kevin Peterson?

Im from Sydney Australia..seriously considering flying over to get my mesh removed by him seems like he knows his stuff on mesh removal..this will no doubt cost me a fortune. Have you seen him yet?

• Posted

Good luck with your recovery and hope this really helps once and for all. I have been following your post as I sort of identify myself with you, female and low body fat. Had my right side inguinal surgery 6 weeks ago. After the surgery I went straight home, and no-one told me anything of what they actually did and found inside. (UK Natonal Health for you!). So far all fine, but early days - just hope I don't have your experiences. Would really much prefer to know everything that they actually did to me. Please let us know how you get on and wish you a speedy recovery, and definitely no more pain.
    • Posted

Thank you. Me too. Nearly two weeks since removal, but too early to tell. Still tender and aching, so I hope it is just part of the normal healing process. Last surgery it was more burning and nerve sensitive and hurt for my clothes to even touch that area. I have been opened up twice for this in the last 7 months for hernia and bowel resection last September. I hope you are lucky and have no issues, not everyone does. Many are successful and no issues. At six weeks after first op I was in agony with nerve pain. Did you have mesh used?
    • Posted

You can ask your doctor for a copy of the surgical report to see what they actually did.
    • Posted

Hello I had right side inguinal hernia repair on Sept 11, 2015. I have been in constant testicular/groin/hip pain that can also radiate into other areas. I've had all sorts of scans. Doctors visits. With surgeon multiple times. A doctor's appointment earlier today which ordered another MRI of the spine to check for a pinched nerve. This has been the hardest thing to deal with as I am in recovery for opiates. That's a whole other issue within this topic. Just filling in the forum in. My most recent visit to the surgeon it basically came down to scheduling to have the mesh removed. I am scared as I basically feel I may need to rule other stuff out first. Anyways... yeah I'm sure you all know what I mean if you've experienced this. I wanted to ask how everyone is doing after the removal of mesh as I see you posted 22 days ago last. Just on here to receive and show support. Hit me back.
    • Posted

Hi Adele - How are you going now? 5 weeks from surgery do you think this one is a success? I am now just over 2 months and haven't found the time to ask for surgical report yet which I will do. I think mine will be a success story, but healing has been very slow. All feels fine, but the cut only just seems to be actually healing, and I have been a little worried about one end opening again, but I can actually see the healing process now, with more and more of it blending nicely together. Patience! I am back to normal activity though. I think my surgeon was very skilled, but I shall certainly get that report. All the best.
    • Posted

Hello John. I had my mesh removed 5 weeks ago, but still in pain. It could take 3 months or so to settle. I am seeing s physiotherapist for 3 months also. I have had no luck after this inguinal hernia repair. My husband is getting tired of me like this. I just want the pain to stop. I am hoping it is just pain from the healing process as been messed around with two open surgeries for the hernia close to each other. Surgeon said wound and location of op look good, but I'm still hurting. Not sleeping and no appetite because of it, so losing weight also. I was prescribed opiates also. They helped a little, but have run out. I don't want to rely on them. Paracetamol or nurofen do nothing. I wish you all the best with your decision. I can totally relate to what you are going through.
    • Posted

Hi Anne. Yes 5 weeks, but still in pain. I hope in time it settles. On the outside looks good, but still burning and aching under and around the incision site. How long until you started to feel progress and normal again? The last 48 hours have been terrible. As you said patience! I'm glad you are feeling better. Best of luck with your recovery.
    • Posted

I never had that internal pain that you mention. Obviously discomfort and afraid to cough etc, but my inside wasn't messed up to start with, and that makes a difference. Didn't need the pain killers. Lets hope mine doesn't go wrong. It's the surface is taking it's time to heal properly, and keeps getting disturbed at one end of the incision. I'm a bore on the subject also! Not there yet.
    • Posted

hi anneinwales....who was your surgeon and do you have his contact info....thx audrey
  • Posted

Hi guys been a while since been on here Adele apart from the pain do you have more movement in the area? I have finally been scheduled for removal surgery 2 yrs after having the thing put in and after seein 5 different consultants, it's fair to say am more than a little worried as in pain and life badly affected now but worried will end up worse and fear of losing one of my bits is enough to make me crawl into fetale position
    • Posted

Hello Adam, yes movement pretty free because no mesh. I have had two surgeries in the same area within 6-7 months son may be why so painful. My surgeon also referred me to a physiotherapist for three months post op. I am going to try and give it this amount of time before judging ary result. Patience probably required as I am 5 weeks post op now.
    • Posted

Did the surgeon suggest cutting any nerves as this has been suggested with myself, also did they manage to get all of the mesh as I have been quoted 70% of it at best
    • Posted

Hello Adam. Yes my illioinguinal nerve which was trapped in the mesh had neurectomy performed and the end of the nerve put into my muscle to prevent neuroma formation. All of my mesh was removed (100 percent). Surgeon did not mention the genitofemoral or illiohypogastric nerves having neurectomy. I am thinking it may have been a good idea to do all three, but my medical report only mentions the one. I am sure my surgeon knows what he was doing as he has a very good reputation , but there is always the exception with outcomes of every individuals operation. I have not been on my feet long today and can feel the pain already, it intensifies during the day and by night is very bad. Pain meds of little help. I thought I would have been relatively pain free once the mesh was out!  
    • Posted

adele...who was your surgeon....we are looking for a good surgeon to take the mesh out of my partner who lives in the UK...thx audrey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.