Removal of mesh after inguinal hernia repair.

Posted , 103 users are following.

Is anyone out there aware of any person who has had to have mesh removed due do mesh inguinodynia after inguinal hernia repair with mesh?

6 likes, 596 replies

596 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi all. I am having my mesh removed next week. Very nervous, but staying positive to heal well and get fit anf healthy and move on with life. Not many surgeons are prepared to remove mesh. My surgeon does about one per month with people travelling from interstate to see him. The longer I leave it in the harder it will be to get it out. Mri showed illioinguinal, illiohypogastric and GF nervse and tendons all caught up in the mesh. My surgeon will then be repairing the hernia using the Maloney darn hernia repair technique and neurectomy. Ultrasound and MRI also showed possible right femoral hernia?? Which addressed during my operation and if necessary fixed during surgery. I've been trying to talk myself out of getting the mesh out, but the alternative is the chronic pain I've been suffering since it was put in.

Has anyone heard of the Maloney darn hernia repair technique?

• Posted

All I know Adele, the relief you will feel after at it's removal. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you, it could not be any worse, I am in so much pain right now. Will keep you informed of my jourmey. I hope you stay healthy and do not have to live with your reurrent hernia.
    • Posted

Hope your recovery is going ok. Don't rush it though, my biggest mistake😞

The right side small hernia is hurting a little but I can deal with that. It's the left side. Apparently there is a collection of fluid within the anterior abdominal wall and linear scarring- no wonder I'm in constant agony. Goodness knows what I can do about it, if anything. Back to my surgeon I suppose which is soul destroying to say the least.

It is so helpful to have that forum as you begin to doubt your own sanity sometimes regarding pain, symptoms, trying to get doctors to believe you.

But onwards and upwards....

• Posted

Thank you, sorry to hear of your problems. It can be so frustrating and soul destroying. I am having quite a lot of discomfort and nerve irritation at the lowest point of my latest incision, but only two weeks since last op and it is likely to take quite a while to settle down. At least the mesh is out now. You are right not to rush and we need patience. I just want to get back to my normal self, but will not put the pressure on this time or be pressured. Hard with two beautiful kids, a family to look after and a businees to run. I have already been very active, so will slow down as not to over do thngs. If it hurts I will slow down.

Please get looked at by your surgeon or another opinion if necessary. You should not have to live in chronic pain. Do you need regular pain medication?

So much for hernia repair being routine. It has been nothing but a nightmare. 

I was told it had to be done because small bowel loops were in the hernia defect. Risk of strangulation, which was the last thing I needed after just having a twisted bowel with a 720 Deg twist that could have killed me.

Let me knw of your progress. Good luck.

As you say onwards and upwardssmile which is not easy when in pain all the time.

• Posted

Has anyone discussed lessions. When I first begun this journey with chronic pain from mesh hernia repair professional spoke of abdominal lessions from surgeries & the chronic pain from them.  2 hernia repair surgery lower abdominal wall from under belly button to pelvis is all mesh. I have horrible charlie horse type pain when i move certain ways plus the chronic pain from a hernia that is between mesh & pelvic bone area,

• Posted

Hi Adele

Had some more problems- never ends... MRI looming as I have swelling and excruciating pain in the left hand lower abdomen. Query kinking of bowel. Night in hospital..how are going now?

• Posted

So sorry to hear that. You are in the right place a hospital. I have had a near fatal twisted bowel in September 2015 and it was very painful. Emergency surgery. Which led to inguinal hernia.

I am still fighting to get better three hernia ops later.

I think time is what my body needs to heal.

Will keep you informed. Let me know how you get on and good luck.

• Posted

This material should never have been used on our bodies! It’s all terrible!!
  • Posted

Well Adele .. I'm sure you're doing the correct thing by having the mesh removed... mine had gone seriously wrong ... I was terrified it would start

sepsis ... which is extremely life threatening ..

so having it out is one worry less in your life and a whole lot of pain .., better

• Posted

How has the surgery gone ? Foxy hey manage to remove the mesh ?
    • Posted

Hello adam31057, thank you for asking. The surgery seems to have gone well. Got all the mesh out and the surgeon repaired the recurrent hernia caused due to the mesh removal with a tension free maloney darn technique. I saw him on Friday and all looks fine. It is only six days post op and looks quite swollen, a bulge like swelling which looks like pre hernia repair type bulge. Because I am quite slim with low body fat the swelling may look more obvious.  I will give it a few more days to settle before making judgements. Just worrying, cannot help it after the last few months of health problems. I hope this is normal. My pain is minimal today, no nerve pain like before, but still early days. Trying to stay positive this is it for me, surgery wise. The surgeon does a lot of athletes, people travel from everywhere to see this guy. He did surgery on Harry Kewell the soccer player which was a success, so I hope I am one of those successful patients. How is your health?

• Posted

Aw that's good, did they manage to free the illo inguinal nerve or did they cut it? Did he say how long recover would be? I found out last week that my illio inguinal nerve was caught in mesh but also have a lot of scar tissue which has attached my bladder too, looks like am going to have to have risky surgery to remove mesh too. Trying ultra sound treatment at min to reduce scar tissue
    • Posted

Hi again Adam, just letting you and others on the forum I'm still in pain 6 weeks after mesh removal. I am going back to my surgeon tomorrow. This is not what I was expecting. Pretty deveststed and just hoping it can be fixed or will settle on its own in time. Will keep you informed. I hope all is well with you??
    • Posted

Adele...who is the surgeon you are referring to....do you have his contact info...thanks audrey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.