Removal of Pin in Hammer Toe

Posted , 22 users are following.

hi all.... sorry to ask so many questions but can i ask i have one pin in for hammer toe... it is due to be taken out on the 29th June, the doctor said it would be loose by then and just slip out... but somehow i am not feeling confident... is having a pin out ok xx thank you

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Glad I found this forum as I am having my pin/wire removed tomorrow.  This discussion has made me feel better about it.  I had bunion, hammertoe and FDL tendon transfer on June 8.  Recovery has gone well as far as I can tell. Looking forward to some positive news tomorrow and hopefully can start weight bearing (tendon required 6 weeks on crutches and scooter).  I also had round 1 to reconstruct my foot last February when they repaired a ruptured posterior tibial tendon, lengthened the Achilles' tendon, repaired a ligament in my ankle and broke my heel.  It was assumed from the beginning that I'd have two procedures to get me where I want to be.  So I'm ready for it all to be over but think it's going to be worth it.  I'm 61 and live near Washington, DC.  Happy to answer questions on all this stuff.

• Posted

I too I found this forum, reading everyone's experience and fears has helped me. Because right now I too have a pin sticking from my 2nd toe on right foot. I'm nervous about the removal, it can't be worst then 66 staples being removed. So gilly96144, please let me how it went and the pain if any.

• Posted

i’m a week and a half into  bunion  and tailors bunion removal and 2-5 hammertoe correction and am too nervous about the pins. i’m also nervous about stitch removal too because yesterday at the dr they removed bandages and yanked a stitch out too and it hurt a lot so i am nervous about stitch removal as well as pin removal!! does it help to just look away rather than seeing the damage lol
    • Posted

Pin removal was really not painful. Much better than I expected although I only had one. 
  • Posted

Hi my name is Jackie I am have my pins out on the 26 th March and I am so scared I keep forgetting night mare about this not sleep well at all can you help me please

• Posted

Hi my name is Jackie I am have my pins out on the 26 th March and I am so scared I keep forgetting night mare about this not sleep well at all can you help me please

• Posted

Having the wire/pin removed after hammertoe surgery is really not painful. It will be quick and you wont feel much. i was apprehensive too .

• Posted

Hi Jackie!

My pin removal was not too bad. I had 4 in my right foot and 2 in my left. I got my right done first and honestly that didn't hurt. I took some pain meds before and listened to music during it. The second time was more painful for me but not by alot, but i did not take pain meds before the second removal so that could be why. It is jn your bone so you shouldnt have too much pain since there are no nerve endings, only towards the top should you feel it. Dont be afraid to voice your nerves to the doctor they will help alot! Best of luck Jackie!

Jess

• Posted

Hello. I had my k wires removed today after 2 surgeries (first one failed at a general hospital so i went to a private one and the surgeon put 2 k wires in one foot and 1 in the other) My right foot had 2 pins at 9cm lenght and didnt hurt AT ALL but my left foot had a 20cm pin and hurt a lot because it wouldnt come out. (It's been 6 weeks since the second surgery).

Now it's been about 8 hours and my feet still hurt after the removal. I feel pain in the bone is that normal???? I'm so scared that the bones are gonna somehow move... I'm gonna start walking normally in a week (so at 7 weeks post surgery) and have xrays again in a month.

Did you feel pain after the removal too? How long did it last? I really hope everything will heal perfectly because i've been beddriden for 3 months now...

• Posted

Hi all I am so scared as I have my pins out on the 26 march I do not like my toe being touch and I am so scared do the pine hert when they come out and can i have sumthink to take as I don't like my toe being touch

• Posted

Hello. I had my k wires removed today after 2 surgeries (first one failed at a general hospital so i went to a private one and the surgeon put 2 k wires in one foot and 1 in the other) My right foot had 2 pins at 9cm lenght and didnt hurt AT ALL but my left foot had a 20cm pin and hurt a lot because it wouldnt come out. (It's been 6 weeks since the second surgery).

Now it's been about 8 hours and my feet still hurt after the removal. I feel pain in the bone is that normal???? I'm so scared that the bones are gonna somehow move... I'm gonna start walking normally in a week (so at 7 weeks post surgery) and have xrays again in a month.

Did you feel pain after the removal too? How long did it last? I really hope everything will heal perfectly because i've been beddriden for 3 months now...

• Posted

HAS ANYONE EVER BENT THE PIN IN TOE AFTER HAMMER TOE SURGERY?

• Posted

Hi there, I have two bent pins 2nd & 3rd from the from the big toe. Could you please tell me about your bent pin removal? I am going to have them taken out on July 23rd He said because the pins are bent it will be painful to have them removed now. I am getting very nervous as the date is getting closer. Please tell me your experience so I can be prepared, thank you!! Irene

• Posted

Hi Debi79281 Did you have your BENT Pins removed?

Can you share your experience with me, I am nervious because the pins are bent.Thanks Irene

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.