Removal of urolift clip? Advice and experiences

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had 3 urolift clips implanted 2 years ago for a bladder problem, followed by a bladder neck resection neither of which solved the issue. As a result I've been self catheterising ever since, but have suffered constant UTI's - at least once per month, sometimes every couple of weeks for which I've taken a cocktail of antibiotics.

A urologist recently did a cystoscopy and discovered that one of the urolift clips has been implanted in the wrong place - too far up in the bladder neck and sticks out attracting bacteria. As a result tissue has never healed over the clip and he is convinced the fact the clip is exposed is the cause of the repeated infections.

Ok, so I ask him to remove the offending clip (the urolift website claims this is a simple procedure) but was shocked when he said that due to its location the clip can only be removed by performing a TURP which will cause RE.

Has anyone had experience of having a urolift clip (that was located in the bladder neck) removed?

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for the info. Before my "failed Urolift" my Urologist told me he could remove the clips which at the time I should have ask him what are the situations where they would needed to be removed. He also told me that they had stopped placing them close to the Bladder neck because sometimes they would penetrate the Bladder. When I went back about a month ago complaining about it not helping my flow and that I had a strange sensation in that area. He said that maybe one had penetrated the Bladder, however, he did not find a problem after performing a Cystocospy.

I will be going back in August and will be asking him to remove the clips for me. I suspect he will want to perform a TURP after removing the clips but that want happen. I may have to find another Urologist that will remove the clips for me. Of course I realize that only the clips in the Urethra can be removed and not the sutures and clips in the prostate without surgery.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have continual low-level pain after Urolift 9 months ago. 3 clips were placed around the bladder neck to try and deal with a median lobe pushing up on the bladder neck. 2 further clips to pull the prostate apart (more standard use of Urolift).

Where exactly does the other end of the Urolift clip end up? I am wondering, in my case whether one has gone too far as my prostate is very small at 28g and presumably these clips are designed to fire off for much longer distances through large prostates?

A recent cystoscopy revealed no ends in the bladder thankfully but the Uro wasn't inclined to check for anything else and said it would heal over. hmm no one mentioned months of pain as a possible side-effect of urolift.

Yes the Urolift site claims it is reversible but it cant be that easy to cut off the head in the Urethra which is under tension and surrounded by flesh. Neither does that address the suture or the other end of the clip which are pretty much there for good now.

I am sorry you are faced with a TURP. Its the same for me as the Urolift has not solved my problems so I need a TURP to deal with the median lobe/raised bladder neck but have at least a 6 month wait on the NHS.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Sounds like me and I hope my Urologist will agree to remove the clips in the Urethra. I will not have a TURP but focus on using drugs and possible something Lazer or wait for something new. I want to just get back to where I was before the Urolift, better flow but some Bladder problem.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I also have a small prostate (30g) and the problem for me seems to be that one of the clips was positioned too close to/in the bladder neck and as a result sticks out, is not covered in mucosa and is therefore the source of my repeated infections. I'm currently researching Doctors to approach who may be able to remove the offending clip without resorting to a TURP.

During the cystoscopy that identified the incorrectly located clip a video was taken - do I as the patient have the right to request a copy of the video or is this the sole "property" of the doctor? And if the answer to the first question is yes I can request a copy, then would this likely be sufficient for another surgeon to form an opinion on whether the clip could be removed without performing a TURP?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I was told that TURP was the only way to get the clips out, that is how they cut the suture. It would be nice to know if there are other options after the clips have been in for awhile. You should be able to get a copy of the video to get a second opinion. I went to another doctor that does Urolift because I thought he would be better at knowing how to get them out. I assume in their training they get trained on that part as well. I found very little information on having clips removed so if you learn anything new, please share. I have 4 remaining clips, so far they seem to be fine but if they give me trouble down the road, I would like to know best practices for removal

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for you info. I have 5 clips that were installed in March and I want every one of them removed because it has made my flow worse and I have a constant unpleasant felling in that area. I had a Cystocopy a month ago and he said no clips were in the bladder and that things looked good. I observed the Cystocospy and I saw folds or puckers that I think has made my flow worse.

My Urologist told me before he installed the clips that he could remove them. In August I have an appointment with him and I am going to ask him to remove all of them. I am determined to not let him perform a TURP but I suspect that is the only way he will agree to remove them, and I wonder if insurance will pay for removing something that just did not work but made things worse. I will give feedback on my attempt to get the damn things removed. Hope I can get back my flow to where I was so I can concentrate on an overactive bladder using medicine.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Just had two clips removed a few weeks ago that were sticking into my bladder causing bleeding issues and forming a stone. Had a partial TURP to remove the offending clips but he left the remaining 4 clips in place. I have not had RE and I pee a lot better now. The surgery was with general anesthesia and I had a catheter for a day which made it a lot nicer than the horrendously painful Urolift procedure with a little numbing gel and a nurse to hold my hand while I screamed. I feared the TURP and maybe being only a partial TURP to remove the clips, I got lucky. But its better than peeing blood after every workout.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hey Ben that's great that things have improved for you and no RE too. Any idea how the clips got into the bladder? Is that a normal risk or was the Uro inexperienced?

Can I ask, was it a standard hot wire TURP cutter used for your partial TURP? I am also facing a part TURP after my failed Urolift. The Uro says he can use the wire loop to slice away the problem median lobe and would be more accurate than laser for this job.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

OK I see the answer ref. the clips in your other posts.

Be interested to know whether the part TURP was laser or hot wire? Did they trim down the median lobe for you?

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up