Removal of urolift clip? Advice and experiences

Posted , 18 users are following.

I had 3 urolift clips implanted 2 years ago for a bladder problem, followed by a bladder neck resection neither of which solved the issue. As a result I've been self catheterising ever since, but have suffered constant UTI's - at least once per month, sometimes every couple of weeks for which I've taken a cocktail of antibiotics.

A urologist recently did a cystoscopy and discovered that one of the urolift clips has been implanted in the wrong place - too far up in the bladder neck and sticks out attracting bacteria. As a result tissue has never healed over the clip and he is convinced the fact the clip is exposed is the cause of the repeated infections.

Ok, so I ask him to remove the offending clip (the urolift website claims this is a simple procedure) but was shocked when he said that due to its location the clip can only be removed by performing a TURP which will cause RE.

Has anyone had experience of having a urolift clip (that was located in the bladder neck) removed?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey Buddy

Sorry that you are have that problem. He should be able to cut the string and remove the one clip. The anchor will be left but that should not bother you.

Tell him no way to the Turp. If he will not do what you want find one that will. You don't want retro ejaculation which if you have a Turp you will get.

They do not have to so a Turp to remove what needs to be removed

Be safeKen

• Posted

When you say it was in the bladder neck, do you mean the urethral end piece or the capsular tab, or both? If it is the former and the latter is not causing an issue (i.e., it is external to the prostate capsule/bladder neck/bladder wall), I don't understand why he would have to perform a comprehensive TURP to remove the urethral end piece that is exposed. After all, it's exposed and he can see it, right? Removing some tissue in the vicinity of the urethral end piece to aid in cutting the suture, while technically a "TURP," would be unlikely to cause RE.

There is another scenario where the urologist deploys the needle to near the bladder neck and because it deploys upward (proximally) on a curved trajectory, it may puncture the bladder wall and deploy the capsular tab inside the bladder.

• Posted

yes, i just has one of four removed this morning. he did a mini turp. god the pain when voiding. i keep getting U T I's a lot. they in the past were handled with the normal antibiotics. I get dilated in the operating room every 2 months from once a year. reoccurring strictures. from multiples surgeries as a child as i was born with hypospadious chordee with multiple fistulae. had 15 major reconstructive surgeries, hence PTSD now due to multiple medical traumas during the sixties and seventies. i had the clips put in in instead of a turp. Now since October of last year i have closed up shut on one occasion and we do it every two months to avoid it. they want me to self-dilate but I'm overweight and can't see, and position is vital because you if you're not spot on and create a different channel in the penis and that is a big emergency. i was told by the anesthetist that the surgeon didn't want to resect too much prosthetic tissue. the bacteria i keep getting is called Klebsiella Pneumonae which can only be killed with a special I V medication that can only be given via picc line. DID I MENTION I HATE NEEDLES. The Infectious disease doctor feels the clips are attracting. this bug. the surgeon told me before surgery he thinks it all fairy tale and he does not think they are the issue. He said i have chronic infection. this is unacceptable. if an infection does break through into the bloods it can go to the heart and kill you, and in my case i had a heart attack in 2017, so, I'm high risk. any way my question to the forum. is there and alternate way to remove these mistakes out of my prostate? Can the Da Vinci robot be used? any doctors in the group that can help i am a desperate man who is scared. any sound advice or suggestions to bring to my surgeon who btw i consider a friend.

thank you for reading.

Mudong1261

• Posted

Gee mate l thought mine was bad! Had 8 clips put in and some laser and really very little improvement! Now a lot of blood in urine 5 years after surgery! Andy!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.