Removing Staples from an Ankle Incision

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have an appointment to go to my doctors on Friday. They are going to remove staples from the incision on my ankle. Does it really hurt when having the staples removed? What do i need to do after they are removed to stop pain? Will they put me in a boot or an cast again? any information given will help.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It feels...odd, but not really painful. I love how they do it, though; they have a little thing that bends the staple into a W type shape and the sides just lift right out! I've also noticed that I tend to get less of a scar from staples as opposed to sutures.

• Posted

I actually passed out. My skin had started healing over some of them so it was quite painful for some of them. I was also getting hungry so I don't think it helped that my blood sugar was a little low. Afterwards they did an xray and doc decided I could wear a boot which I had to go somewhere else to be fitted for. Hubby then got me some lunch and I pretty much slept the rest of rhe day, lol! Hopefully all goes well at your appointment!

• Posted

It didn't hurt me too much.  Kindof just felt like a bunch of small pinches.  I guess it depends of your threshold for pain tolerance and how gentle the nurse is or isn't when she is removing them.   

If you're worried about it I'd go ahead and take some pain killers right before your appointment.   That should help calm your nerves and help to dull the pain as well.  

• Posted

Thank you, the last time i went to my doctors they said i had a high pain tolerance so i was just trying to see if it would really hurt. Also thank you for your tips. Have a Nice Afternoon.
  • Posted

Hi Cici I had my staples removed. It was like a punch except for they ones that were a little deeper in my skin. Felt like tugging and pulling. Healed beautifully. Put some coca butter on it and I'm looking into ankle massage. Blessings! 😇

• Posted

It (to me) felt like a little pin prick.  Certainly if you have a spot more sore than the other that will hurt just a bit more, but its not unbearable!  The girl taking out the stitches for me was not very gentle and I did wince and she slowed down. She said "did that hurt?"   Umm... yes it did I had surgery 2 weeks ago!  LOL

You'll be fine! smile 

• Posted

No staple removal doesnt hurt. It stings a bit. Not sure what surgery you have had re your other questions. Jude
    • Posted

I had surgery on the outside of my ankle on the right to put plates and screws in my ankle for two breaks.
    • Posted

You will probably have aircast boot back on. I have mine on for 12 weeks as had fusion and bone graft. Yours may be quicker. Once staples out it will feel easier. The scar less tight. Good luck the staples will be peanuts compared with what you have already been through. Xx
    • Posted

Jude, what is an aircast boot and why did you have it on for 3 months?    I just got some staples out of my leg two weeks after my ankle fusion .   They put another cast on and told me the healing was great and  to come back in three weeks.    The stitches on my ankle  will come out then.    Will I get a boot at that time?  
    • Posted

I had a back slab for 3 weeks and then an aircast boot. Essentially looks like a ski boot. You put a thick sock on your leg them put the boot on, which tightens with Velcro. Then you manually pump up 3 compartments. The theory being you walk in the boot and are still technically non weight bearing as the air takes the weight. I had extensive bone graft and a nail along my tibia so my operation was more than just a fusion. Plus a screw has come loose so I am having it removed 19th June. My leg feels pretty good when I take the boot off at night. Walking with the boot on, instead of crutches and non weight bearing longer term, is meant to help circulation and stop muscle wastage. My calf muscle has gone really. It was bad before. Wishing you all the best. Let me know how it goes x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.