Removing Staples from an Ankle Incision

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have an appointment to go to my doctors on Friday. They are going to remove staples from the incision on my ankle. Does it really hurt when having the staples removed? What do i need to do after they are removed to stop pain? Will they put me in a boot or an cast again? any information given will help.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just to say it may be an idea to take a couple of paracetomol or whatever mild painkillers suit you in case it is painful for you.
  • Posted

I had my staples out last april. Most of the threads that I read said it was not painful. I had a lot of pain and I wasn't prepared for it since everyone kept saying how it just feels weird and not painful. I did not feel pain when I broke my ankle but I felt lots of pain when they took the staples out. Maybe it has something to do with the experience of the person taking them out because the older lady who took mine out did not look as though she knew what she was doing. So it probably wont hurt but prepare yourself in case it does.

• Posted

It  will feel like a pin prick and that’s all.   When they have them out they will put some tape  over them and that will be that.    It won’t hurt after that.   I’m not sure what you had done but I would guess another cast will be put on your ankle for a few more weeks to make sure everything is healed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.