Reoccuring Fissure- all hope gone

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

A little backstory: I was diagnosed with a hemrrohiod for 1 year, taking the wrong meds (steroids) before I was correctly diagnosed with an anal fissure. After 12 weeks of Diltz, taking it 4 times a day, I started feeling better. I was also applying Vitamin E oil and Wheatgrass cream, I have changed my diet to gluten free and no red meat. I was finally able to have stools with no pain. Even my husband could see my change of spirits. AND THEN

This morning, I strained more than I should but I was in the middle of a BM and even being calm about it, it still would not budge in the middle of the stool (sorry for the details). As you can all expect, I had bleeding and pain. I am so distraught today, I spent most of the day crying feeling like it will never completely heal and I have to deal with this for the rest of my life. Has anyone had reoccurrence and was still able to heal? Do any of us heal forever?! I hate how one little backstep can ruin my day and make me depressed. Am I the only one? I want to start a family soon, but knowing how pregnancy can often worsen these issues, I'm too scared.

Have any of you gone back to Diltz after taking a break? I was so excited to stop it after a long 3 months, applying it 4 times a day is 360 applications. Ugh. I have been trying to heal naturally and would like some success stories. These forums really help not to feel so alone! 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ah you guys are brilliant and it's so nice and reassuring to read all of this as others around me don't understand as are not going through it. Thank you so much for spending your time explaining your procedures. Have any of you been on movicol sachets? Or Lactulose? I am taking both of them currently and they work by making my stools really soft but I surely cannot keep taking them for the rest of my life? I have my check up in a few weeks and am tempted to tell my consultant to go ahead with the surgery now.

• Posted

Yes Lisa, not feeling alone is huge in this process. Thanks for being a part of this post!
    • Posted

I take metamucil, which is a stool softner, every day. I dont see a problem with taking it everyday to be honest. I had my LIS surgery 3 years ago and have tooken metamucil ever since. I don't regret it one bit. I look it as a fortune rather than a crutch because without it I'd be worried that I would tear something again. 

• Posted

Oh that's good to hear I just thought it wasn't good to be on them forever but if they don't hurt then I'd rather carry on taking them to prevent it coming back

• Posted

I'm pretty sure its ok to take stool softners for however long  you want. As far as laxitives (which make you want to go to the bathroom rather than just making your poo soft), I don't think you should be taking those forever. But I would do more research if you are curious. I am pretty sure stool softners dont do any harm. I know I'm gonna be using them forever probably. Don't want that fissure coming anywhere close to me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.