reoccuring mild gout flare

Posted , 3 users are following.

i first had my gout flare two years ago after some nsaids it went off in a few days. had a couple of flares since then. now i am 26 and having the worst attack i always look at my uric acid and it was 8.5-14. it is now 6 weeks since then and my flare is reocuring. mild but still painfull which is in my right feet sometime ankle, toes, and even in the heels i was put on febuxostat. it is now 17 days since then and my uric is 4.4. just wondering jave any one experience this? i can walk but atill there is a mild pain whenever a walk too long. iam also takibg metcort and colchicine whenever i feel like a huge flare is coming. i am also considering if i have ra?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi mate I’ve been fighting with gout off and on for over 10 years now and as for the worse attack which I’m currently going through in right ankle and heel plus at the same time left knee as for keeping an eye on your levels all I can say is I don’t bother as you can be a naturally high producer of Uric acid and not get a flare up . As for diet mine is and always has been due to I’ve always been into sports squash football  ect . It’s just down to genetics I’m afraid I’m one of the unlucky ones like you just eat a sensible diet 

and hope for the best that’s the assumption I’ve come to having tried every possible treatment going .

p.s stress is a big factor as well .

good luck mate 

• Posted

during my first 4 weeks in the attack i have been on a monk diet no meet, alcohol, sweets, lentils and only eat veggie and rice. however still cant lower my uric acid. but after taking the febuxostat i was prescribe it went down right away like 5 days and down to 4.4. but still what bugs me is this stiffness and if i walk like 1 hr slight limping. i get this mild gout flare. iam afraid there is more to it than gout although all my test are normal except my uric acid. its been 17 days since i took febuxostat. wish i could already walk as iam the provider of the family and cant stay too long on hold
    • Posted

almost like every week i get this mild gout flare. and when i started taking febuxostat my wrist has a slight pain but does not affect me much as it is almost to slight to notice is this normal?
  • Posted

The trouble is mate if you have damaged the joints or tendons in the past its known to

secreet more often than not there . Plus also don’t forget it’s one of the most destructive forms of arthritis.

i work on the railway walking on stone ballast most days even when I’ve been gout free for months and months my joints ache like hell .

ask you doc for some info on allopurinol seems to be the most widely used around 

and it works but it’s a lifetime subscription I’m afraid and try not to read to much there’s a lot of bull on the web claiming miracle products will work wonders .

low fat milk is know to have uric acid lowering properties and low fat dairy products

like yogurts  and if you’re into gym workouts steer clear of protein supplements 

theres all sorts of crap in them . 

P.s if you get an attack don’t stick ice on it 

warm is best as .

the ice seems to cluster the crystals and make it worse hence the big toe area tis the 

furthest place on the body and blood flow can’t move it away that quick . 

• Posted

Allopurinol is a great drug (I use it). This guy is on Febuxostat which is more effective than allopurinol - it’s a more modern drug and MUCH more expensive. In the UK Febuxostat is the second line treatment because allopurinol works well and is £1 or so a month. 

Another advantage of allopurinol is it’s been around for something like 50 years so they know that it works long term. 

• Posted

I’ve been on allopurinol and wasn’t happy taking it for the rest of my days 

so I tried getting super fit tea total but to no avail looks like it’s time to give it a proper go to give me kidneys a break and joints but I have heard of 

febuxostat and I’m going ask my gp about it .

plus I’m in me fifties now last ten ye@rs been a bit of a pain .

• Posted

I tried getting super fit too - has no effect.

As for Febuxostat- it does the same as allopurinol- reduces blood urate by changing the purines into a chemical which is flushed more easily. You’re still on it for life and still have the same side effects caused by flushing urate from the blood. 

If you have had gout flares for ten years you are already in gout influenced heart attack territory. I’d do something about it PDQ.

• Posted

thanks btw febuxostat in my country is not that expensive like 10$ per month. i was prescribe the lowest dose of 40 mg. how long will i have this reoccuring gout flare when taking uric lowering drug?
    • Posted

thanks mate. i am not over weight, also i dont drink much alcohol more like ones every 2 months but now i think even that has to be cut of. btw whenever i rest my foot or whenever i sleep. i feel like the side of my foor near down the big toe is getting thick and a little tingly is this normal? i am still new to this gout thing as in the past a diclofenac can knock it down in 2-3 days
    • Posted

Febuxostat costs US318.15 for 30 x 40 mg tablets. Somebody (the government or an insurance company) is paying the difference between your price and the $10. In the UK too someone prescribed Febuxostat would pay about $10 but the state would pay the rest, hence why the state prefers allopurinol which does the job perfectly well.

To answer your question - the gout flares usually continue for 3 months to several years. However the vast majority it’s closer to 3 months with it dropping off after.

The reason for the blood urate lowering therapy is not just  to stop the pain - the high blood urate not only destroys joints, but it damages the lining of arteries which leads 10 years down the line to heart attack stroke and kidney damage. 

Of course if you are 97 a potential heart attack in 2028 might not seem like a big deal

:-) 

• Posted

Pain killers are not addressing the underlying illness. It’s like giving a guy a brain tumour pain killers and not removing the tumour. 

The underlying problem is hyperuricemia - high blood urate - which over many years incideously attacks the arteries bone joints and kidneys. The long term danger is heart attack and stroke. If you take blood lowering therapy and get your blood urate down to under 3.0 (or close to it), you can eat and drink normally. (There are other reasons for not drinking every day, but I like you drink once every month or so, and believe it does no harm. Indeed I drank 1/4 of a small glass of beer with Sunday lunch and got a pleasant buzz from it). 

• Posted

The febuxostat is flushing out your system. In this process stored irate crystals are released into the blood. This may give you gout. Stick to it and stick to the drug. It will get better and you will become gout free. It will also save you from a heart attack by the time you are 40.

There’s not much you can do now except cut out alcohol, drastically reduce sugar and stop high fructose corn syrup completely. 

DRINK plenty of water. 

When I was in your situation as soon as I felt a flare coming I took the colchicine. If it was still there at night I took another. 

What you are going through is totally normal. 

Good luck!

• Posted

thanks i would keep taking this uric acid lowering drug. but iam planing to take colchicine with it like 2 tablets a day for 2 weeks is it going to be alright?
    • Posted

Yes, thats perfectly ok and normal - take them together. In the UK the advice is to give the colchecine for 3 months (most GPS seem reticent to take this advice).  When you run out - ask for more - I get 100 a time - lasts forever. The tabs are less likely to cause diarrhea if taken every 6 hours after cutting the tablet in half (not easy - they are tiny). I wouldn’t take them more than needed - if the symptoms stop - stop the colchicine, and start again at the first twinge.

One thing to be aware of - colchicine works by calming the immune system attack in the joint. If you get an infection - then stop taking the colchicine till it’s gone as you’ll need your immune system working on all four cylinders.

Good luck.

Oh - A**drink plenty of water**. During an attack I used to find resting my foot in *very* hot water worked. Others find cold works. Others alternate hot and cold. 

• Posted

yup i am keeping my body hydrated. i always tought gout as just the pain in the feet and would only last a week now my eyes are opened there is more to it. will keep record pf my progress thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.