Request for info from people diagnosed with hip oa

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been involved in a long standing discussion on here that I started about 18 months ago - "Problems Diagnosed as Hip OA CAN be cured in some cases".

I managed to completely resolve what was claimed by many who examined me over the years as a classic case of hip OA. They were very certain of the diagnosis and claimed it couldn't be cured.

The key thing about my case is that I had a twist in my pelvis - that was the real cause of my problems. I'm doing some research for a book I'm writing and I want to test out a few theories. I'm therefore interested in hearing from others that have been diagnosed with hip OA but also have:

- One leg longer than the other (maybe this has been diagnosed, or maybe you just feel one leg is too long, the hip hitched up on one side)

- A twist in your pelvis or torso. You can test for this by lying on your back, feet on the floor, knees bent. Let your knees drop to the floor on one side. Then on the other side. Is one side tighter than the other?

If this applies to you and you wouldn't mind answering a couple of questions (just relating to your symptoms - nothing personal!) then please drop me a line. Or respond here if you don't mind doing it publicly.

Thank you so much smile

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Susan, ok I tried both movements. On the bed I can only manage to drop my right knee to slightly less than 45 degrees which doesn't surprise me as when that hip joint was replaced it was rotated inwards. When standing it is also tighter on the right. 
    • Posted

Hmm - you've just flagged up where I've been going wrong in explaining that little test!

What you need to do is rotate at the waist so that your shoulders remain flat on the floor and your pelvis turns onto it's side.We're wanting to see how easily the spine moves where it attaches to the pelvis. Could you perhaps try again?

However, if your hip was internally rotated at the time of surgery then it hints at you having the same kind of dysfunction as me. But so many other variables with your case!

I wouldn't want to be adivsing someone with an artifiial hip to stretch that hip as I have no idea of what problems that could cause.

However, if we can figure out the nature of your imbalances I CAN advise on a sequence of myofasial release / trigger point therapy that could well give you a lot of releif. Whilst being 100% risk free and harmless.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.