Restless legs syndrome

Posted , 13 users are following.

Please, please, please, go to your doctor and ask for Ropinarole if you have this distressing condition called Restless Leg Syndrome. I had this for at least 20 years and I truly believe it has affected my entire health. I was severely anaemic, depressed, had rectal bleeding constantly and I had breast cancer diagnosed two years ago.

I had tried everything!! Tamazapine and diazapine were the strongest medications I had but I was still awake in tears at 4a.m. having not slept! All this and I was working full time. I was shattered.

Eventually I was put on Ropinarole. The very FIRST day releived my restless legs! My husband and I could not believe it. I have since gone from strength to strength. I SLEEP! Rectal bleeding has gone - which has resulted in less stress, better behaved bowels which have created a very healthy blood count. I do not feel so depressed and find I can do so much more.

Get to your doctor now and try this. IT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE!!!!

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I to am on Ropinrole 2mg and although it helps I still have trouble sleeping and when I do I sleep or some 12 hours or more, the feeling is so relaxing that I have difficulty getting out of bed for fear of the condition reappearing; in general my legs start to feel irritable about 9-10pm each evening and have trouble to relax, sometimes they joilt so violently I have to stand up to watch Tele and walk about, sometime a hot shower or bath helps, but the condition changes often as if having a mind of it's own

My life has been on standstill for about a year and I have done nothing but drink alcohol almost every day, spirits help but not totally, and I fear the future prospects of becoming an alcoholic.

I am a ex-powerlifter and have cycled, done martialarts, and swimming, it has been suggested that as I suddenly stopped doing all of these sports due to an illnes my body rebelled, as my illness is no longer, I am going to start all activities slowly from next week to see if it makes a difference.

• Posted

I have just been diagnosed with RLS and ropinarole has been suggested ..............was just browsing the internet for information on treatments!!!...Your post "Guest" has convinced me that I should give it a try!!!

The side effects were putting me off!!.....but nothing ventured nothing gained!!!

• Posted

Hi I have had this condition for about 5 years but it only affected me at night ,but in the last 4 months I have been getting it 24 hours a day and the pain at times is unbearable and I now ,because the pain is worse in my left leg behind my knee seem to walk with a permanent limp. I am at my wits end and seem to be living off pain killers i am worried about taking anything else because of the side effects anyone had any alternative remedies if so do they work ?I have a really physical job and I feel I just cannot do it anymore so I need a remedy quick !!
  • Posted

twitching in calf at times, troublesome in bed. doctor said it wouldnt kill me and was due to age. Both useless information. So took mutivit tabs and made sure about food intake ok. If starts to cause trouble again I start to take vitamins for a while. Dont think doctors are sure about what to do.
  • Posted

I suffered from restless legs for years. I read in a magazine that MAGNESIUM is the answer, as a lot of people lack this. I thought I had nothing to lose, so I went out and bought some. I took one a day. It must have been a few weeks later when I realised that I wasnt suffering from restless legs anymore. Worth a try as they are cheap enough to buy from Asda.
  • Posted

I've suffered Severe RLS for 20 years. I think it's true to say, a lot of GP's are not really up to speed with the condition. I showed mine information I'd gleaned from the internet and he was amazed. He admitted he was new to RLS and would look into it more. I tried every thing for more than 10 years, and was desperate. I was getting little sleep (working 50 hrs a week driving !!) spending some nights walking around. My wife was also getting little sleep. Eventually, My Dr suggested Pramipexole, sometimes called Mirapexin. It's also used to treat Parkinson's Disease (RLS and Parkinson's are not related) and it worked for me. I've taken it for several years now. The only side effect I suffer is a bit of nausea in the morning before I get up, but that soon goes when I get moving about. The strange thing about RLS is that it is so difficult to explain to anyone. I've tried, but been laughed at !! It is anything but funny to people who suffer, often in silence. I know just how distressing it is. I have heard ropinrole is good, but the side effects are worse than Pramipexole.
  • Posted

I have suffered from these darn restless legs for some years now, in fact when I turned 60. I am going to try first of all the suggestion of magnesium. If Asda sell it , it cannot be harmful.

Thank you for the suggestion daggy.

• Posted

Been there, done it an bought the tshirt.  I can assure you that the only thing that works for RLS is Ropinirole (prescribed by a neurologist).  I have tried the lot over the years  from,  exercise, homeopathy, midefulness, iron, magnesium.  Unfortunately I have been taking it for 2 years now and t is beginning to wane and I have to up my dose.  The maximum dose is 3mg per day.  Try it for a coupleof years of RLS free time.
  • Posted

Hi, Just had a look at effervescent mutivitamin tablets and noted they have magnesium included Only take now and again just to make sure I have correct vitamins added to food intake. So far its been ages since was bothered with nagging restless legs. t must be terrible having to tolerate for years. Doctor wasnt any help at all, am sure some havent any idea how troublesome it is. Pleased I hit on the idea about vitamins and fortunate it worked for me. Didnt like idea about just taking magnesia on its own. Its handy to hear of other treatments if vitamins ever fail. Doctor said do not take vitamins, good job I did.
  • Posted

Hi, Just had a look at effervescent mutivitamin tablets and noted they have magnesium included Only take now and again just to make sure I have correct vitamins added to food intake. So far its been ages since was bothered with nagging restless legs. t must be terrible having to tolerate for years. Doctor wasnt any help at all, am sure some havent any idea how troublesome it is. Pleased I hit on the idea about vitamins and fortunate it worked for me. Didnt like idea about just taking magnesia on its own. Its handy to hear of other treatments if vitamins ever fail. Doctor said do not take vitamins, good job I did.
  • Posted

I will take a look at Vitamin tablets when next at the pharmacy.I know this is going to sound daft but I have found that if you lay on your back and raise your knees up for some 10 mins if you can manage it then for some odd reason sleep seems to follow - probably because you are so exhausted from the restless legs keeping you awake.
  • Posted

I am definitely going to try the magnesium,but I recently was in hospital for a opperation and had to wear these socks to prevent blood clots and they really worked for the RLS. Now it could be coincidental or it could be that I was on so much pain killer it blocked the RLS out but I'm home and only use them every few nights and so far so good.I think they must be like flight socks.worth a go
  • Posted

I take Gabapentin 300mg for restless legs. I suffered from my early teens with this and I find these help
  • Posted

Lainey Loo, I had a bad accident a few years ago, and was on 120mg of Dihydracodene a day for 2 months for pain relief. The RLS disappeared while I was taking it but returned when I came off it. My Dr allowed me to reduce the pramipexole by half and take 30mg of Dihydracodene with it. The side effects have now gone and the RLS is under control (having had a mind of it's own for some 20 years). D'codene can be addictive, but at such a low dose, it is not a problem. I tried everything from Quinine to Vitamins and various supplements but nothing worked for long. I found that alcohol made it worse. I never liked the idea of taking drugs, but without them I couldn't carry on. I have suffered so much in the past with no one able to help me, I have got to admit, suicide once crossed my mind. Thankfully, It is under control (but not fully) for now. If I take the drugs in the morning to control it during the day, I would just sleep all day !! so I only take them at night and keep active during the day.
  • Posted

I will definitely give it a go. My legs are doing my head in! Can't take it anymore.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.