Retinal artery occlusion

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just been to the eye A&E, and told I have a branch retinal artery occlusion. This has taken me by surprise as the registrar explained it as an eye stroke! I thought I had vitreous detachment with the usual onset of the floaters and flashing lights! He didn't explain much, nor did he ask what I was experiencing. I have no loss of vision. Googling it doesn't help as my symptoms don't match the diagnosis! Anyone out there with similar?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried using Google Scholar?

Are your only symptoms floaters and flashing lights?  Presumably with a diagnosis like the one you have, they have given you a follow up appt that is fairly soon, so, perhaps if you don't feel that you have been given the right diagnosis, it might actually change when you go again.

When I have flashing lights and floaters, it is usually a flare up of uveitis, though, occasionally, it can be blepharitis.

• Posted

Thank you for the google scholar tip, not heard of that....I google pretty much everything! I ignored my symptoms for over a month...naughty me. But assumed it to be a vitreous detachment, as I had one in the other eye several years ago, and the symptoms are identical. No visual loss, and all the sites like this describe my experience as vitreous detachment. Sigh! The joys of ageing! I am awaiting a follow up for a month, so I will see, no pun intended!
    • Posted

biggrinIt's so hard to tell if one symptom is serious or not. I cannot keep up with hem all. I read a lot but fibro fog....

I had a very similar incident. Migrain of the charts complete with spots flashes . It turned out to be Narrow Eye Glocoma..

Who knew! I never heard of it. It has something to do with the shape of the eye..

life is always a challenge.

• Posted

So true.. As I age it not just cataracts dry eye .. Thing start adding up pilling up .. Thing u can get rid of got it forever just more thing to add to the list of maintanence...
  • Posted

I had no loss of vision either as I motion the sign of the cross... that's a good thing. Never suspected dry eye and other issues cause eye cells to die . My opt. is very thuro thank goodness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.