retrograde ejaculation after rezum

Posted , 33 users are following.

I I had the rezum procedure performed on me about a year ago and it's been a true mixed blessing . On one hand I'm as happy as I can be since I can urinate like I was 15 years old again. On the other hand I've not ejaculated since the procedure not even a drop. I want to make clear that the procedure did not affect my ability to get an erection at all. However, not being able to ejaculate results in a ruined orgasm everytime I have sex.

I'm 51 years old and my wife and I have sex 2 3 times a week yet I feel sexually frustrated due to the lack of ejaculation.

My urologist recommended I take Sudafed before sex. i tried it once and it didn't work.

My understanding is this problem is far more common then the medical community admits to.

I'm hoping someone may have some good Insight on how to resolve this issue if it's even resolvable .

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Does RE result in a ruined orgasm? I thought it just ejaculates to the bladder inward instead of outward but does not change the feeling or sensation? Is that wrong?

• Posted

Didn't ruin it for me, in fact I think orgasms are more intense now, but my wife always say it feels weird that nothing is happening . I think she misses it.

• Posted

I was taking a drug briefly and RE was a common side effect. I can say for me at least it was not nearly as good.

• Posted

Not a doctor but as I understand it, your condition of RE is a permanent results of the procedure. This is because during the Rezum process, the ejaculatory ducts are cut, melted or just destoryed as a results of the procedure. This happens to alot of men and in a lot of cases not explained in the consult prior to the procedure.

It can happen in most BPH procedures. I went with FLA to avoid this and was successful but it can even happen in Focal Laser Ablation with full eyes on the object via the MRI as they are ablating . A lot of the cause can be from the doctor chosen to do the FLA. Sad fact, but some make mistakes even though they can see what they are doing real time. The choice of doctor makes a big difference.

Sorry to hear about your situation but RE is a condition that is easier to deal with than the symptoms of BPH and poor urination.

• Posted

No, RE is not a typical result of Rezum. This is the reason that I elected to go with Rezum two years ago. Ejaculation was back to pre-Rezum levels within two months of the procedure and has been fine since.

However, I imagine that a steam injection in the wrong location could result in RE. It seems that as far as BPH is concerned:

doctors + procedures + the luck of the draw = individual results.

• Posted

I went with Aquablation only because incidence of RE is very low and I can happily report that it did not result in RE for me. Highly recommend Aquablation done by Dr Lewis Kriteman at Georgia Urology in Atlanta area. All contact info available on their website as well as a detailed Webinar covering all aspects of this procedure. Youtube also has numerous detailed vidoes explaining the Aquablation procedure.

• Edited

Dan, Sorry to hear about your problem. Not sure if its resolvable/fixable. Your post will definitely help other guys. I would 100% blame your urologist. I'm sure he downplayed the side effects to you. My urologist did the same thing. When i heard him say that TURP might cause retro but its" no big deal"( no big deal to who? To him!!) , I started to educate myself and eventually went with PAE. Urologist don't do PAE, interventionist radiologist do, so they don't recommend the PAE procedure. Like a lot of other people out there some Dr's are in business just for the money and really dont care much for their patients. I don't trust most of them, i only go to my uro now for a DRE and PSA test once a year, other than that i educate myself. I hope there's a fix for your retro. Maybe there's surgery that can restore proper function. Good luck with it. Tom

• Edited

TG, you are correct. It was over 30 months ago and I visited each of the Interventional Radiologist that did both PAE and FLA at that time. Both these prostate procedures are only done by IR and Uros won't tell you about either of these as it is not something they are capable of doing. I also found all of the IRs much more honest and transparent than the Uros about the any procedure, the recovery and the outcome.

They would tell you the percentage chances of the results and what you could expect. I have since found out that the IR community is some of the smartest doctors in medicine as they work on brains, lungs, hearts, kidneys, livers with various ablations and procedures. My Dad had one do his heart ablation for Afib and it was excellent results. There are many less of these IR's specializing in prostates compared to the vast urological field. We are all lucky that some have chosen prostates to specialize in.

• Posted

TG and Dan

What you guys are saying is very true. Doctors do not care about your sex life. At 58 I had a Urolift done. That was 8 years ago. My orgasm goes with my ejaculation even if it is 2 different functions. TG just like your doctor told you that it is no big deal. Be real.

Rezum is a very painful procedure. I saw a video of a doctor doing it to a man telling him that he needed to be a man and bear it.. The guy was in pain and this doctor could have cared less.

I have been on this site for over 8 year. I have been off for about 6 month's because of that memory word. I had to do a new account. I kept track of the Rezum procedure for 4 years. Doctors were telling men that i was only about 5% on Retro. You have to remember they are trying to sell the procedure. Out of 111 men that had the procedure 92 ended up with retro.

It is how caring your doctor is and how they do it. One guy that I have talked to lives in Chicago he only had 5 injections. He got retro. Then there was a guy in California he had a prostate that was 150 gr and he had a hard time finding a doctor that would do it. But he did. He had 15 injection he did not end up with retro. When his doctor was doing it she told him that she saw the ejaculatory ducts and she will stay away from them.

The placement of the injection is the key. When Dan was done the doctor put a injection where the duct was and blocked it. Dan will have to check with a different doctor. He may be able to have it unblocked. You never know.

I hope some men read this and know something before they go to a doctor. Don't be talked into anything. A dry orgasm sucks...

All the best........................Ken

• Posted

Hi Dan

Re goes into bladder .... a la Flomax and Silodyx.

Its a let down ... 20% of pleasure ... but lady still gets the same feeling... and isnt left with the mess!

i had a PAE 18 months ago ... its not 100% and I take Silodyx from time to time ...especially after sex ...which seems to enflame the Pg and restrict flow of urine.

As the one chap said .. better to p**s properley and at least keep your lady happy ?

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your problem. I am contemplating REZUM . I did not know that RE is due to damage of ejaculatory duct. I thought it was due to change of anatomy after procedure where ejaculate follows path of least resistance. Maybe the injection was too close to bladder neck.

• Posted

I'll trade your RE for the RE, ED and UI that resulted from my GL procedure.(That's almost the full Monty of urinary acronyms.)

• Posted

wow, I didn't expect so many replies in a day. thank you you all for your insight .

j12080, you mention this is result of ducts being damaged. it makes sense in theory but I'm not sure if that's the case here. so i wasn't able to urinate at all, not a drop, for the first 5 weeks after the procedure but I could ejaculate. Week 6 I could urinate a little and still ejaculate. by week 7 I could pee like a race horse but i could no longer ejaculate. if ducts were damaged shouldn't they have stopped immediately.

I suspect the bladder neck is open to wide.

i don't know of i could trust another urologist since I believe most doctors are robber barons.

my urinary issues began 11 years ago but I was able to manage it with medication. Two years ago i needed a hip replacement and I woke up from the surgery not able to pee at all. For 4 months I relied on a catheter because I could not urinate. not even a drop.

I went to two urologist . One said I need to continue catheterizing myself because my prostate is only 22 ounces. the other sold me on Rezum.

So I agree that this is a small sacrifice considering I wasn't able to pee at all and now I have zero urinary retention.

Also , my sex drive is actually up a little but only because I can't get satisfaction.

• Posted

Dan,

Procedures which commonly result in RE, such as TURP and HoLEP, will do so immediately. In your case, RE didn't materialize until many weeks post-surgery. Ask the doctor who performed your REZUM to explain. Maybe there is something that can be done surgically to correct the problem.

Post-operative urinary retention (POUR) is not unusual following orthopaedic surgery. Your case seemed severe. Was your prostate very enlarged at the time of your hip replacement?

Also, you are probably confused as you say your prostate "is only 22 ounces." If you truly mean 22 ounces that equates to 624 grams, and if prostate density is taken as 1 g/cc (which is the density of water), then your prostate would measure 624 cc - this would be massive and about 30 times normal size. If you meant 22 grams, then your prostate would be the size of that of a healthy man in his 20s - and should not be the cause of severe urinary retention.

I've considered REZUM but have read it is limited to prostates < 100 cc (or, 100 g). I'm a little beyond that. How large was your prostate prior to REZUM?

As others have said, although RE is a disappointment, you appear to be relieved of LUTS, and now can pee like a teenager. I hope that is no small consolation if RE is permanent, and you can take solace in knowing you have recovered quality of life that BPH was taking from you.

Michael

• Edited

Hi, I had the Rezum procedure done in January. I also have retrograde ejaculation. I am better than I was before the procedure but still have many of the issues I suffered with before. My urologist said it is because we only did 5 injections (to avoid side effects.) He also did recommend sudafed which didnt work for me either. The dry ejaculation has messed with my head, Im 59. The only benefit is that when I stand at the toilet something actually comes out rather then standing there for 5 minutes. My urologist suggested doing it again in the future. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.